Sponsored by:

Deposit is down, time to lock in the build order for a Targa GTS

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2015, 02:38 AM
Jeff Jones
Rennlist Member

Received 1,762 Likes on 692 Posts
Default Deposit is down, time to lock in the build order for a Targa GTS

Hi everyone. I previously hung out in the Air Cooled forums but I've decided to modernize My first Porsche was a 78 SC Targa and like many others, the retro design of the new Targa is just too much to ignore!

I have a deposit down on a Targa GTS that I need to lock down in 9 days, delivery in late August. Your thoughts and comments are appreciated.

Things I'm set on:
  • 18 way seats - I just find them more comfortable in the shoulders
  • Premium Plus - I'm addicted to keyless entry in other cars
  • Bose - I listen to NPR and NFL radio but Sat Radio is almost as expensive by itself so I'm going with Bose
  • Deletion of Model Designator - I just like the centered look of Porsche by itself
  • PDK - I live in traffic
  • Power Steering Plus - Seems like no downside here
  • PDCC - Could go either way but might regret not checking the box
  • Carbon Fiber Package and Center Console Trim

Things I'm debating:
  • Deletion of GTS on the door - It seems unnecessary but seeing it in person I kind of like it
  • Full leather or GTS interior - Leaning toward GTS because this is a special car and I like the more in your face interior. Otherwise "full leather". The GTS interior is a big premium. If I go GTS interior I'm set on getting the leather sport wheel. I like the feel much better.
  • Color - I'm really freaking stuck on this one. I'm in love with two colors and after looking at both of them a thousand times I'm still on the fence. Either Carmine Red or Sapphire Blue.

Decisions, decisions, decisions...

Last edited by Jeff Jones; 05-12-2015 at 03:46 AM. Reason: correcting spelling
Old 05-12-2015, 03:09 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Sport PASM?

Both great colors, but of the two, I'd probably go Carmine Red.
Old 05-12-2015, 03:35 AM
Jeff Jones
Rennlist Member

I believe the PASM is standard on the Targa GTS so one less decision to make. I am likely adding Dynamic Chassis Control (PDCC) as an option.

Carmine red might just be the perfect red. But I feel the same way about sapphire blue. It might come down to a coin toss on the last day
Old 05-12-2015, 03:47 AM
FergusH
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

After seeing both in person, I definitely prefer Carmine Red. Also, I don't think Sport PASM is an option on the Targa; I could be wrong 'though

I also ordered a Targa GTS recently. I was originally going to go with the GTS package and the Carmine Red. However, I ended up deciding that the GTS interior was a bit too "fuzzy" for me - particularly the wheel (though I know you could change that) - and I also thought that over the long term, leather would wear better.

I went with a Mahogany Brown exterior, as I think brown is a classic Porsche color, and a Espresso/Cognac interior. The interior I definitely like but I'm not sure how the whole package will be. Truth is, I won't be completely shocked if I see the car when it arrives at the dealer and end up walking away from it! The config was a bit of a gamble but hopefully it'll work out. Honestly, if I was doing a build again, I would probably just go with a 4S, a few less options and save myself $30k. Too late now!

Anyway, here's my build:
http://www.porsche-code.com/PGLTDP15

Oh, one other comment: I chose the four-way Sport Seats Plus. They feel almost exactly the same as the 18 way (perhaps exactly the same) and I like the idea of having less little motors that might fail in the future. Simplicity seemed good and I've been completely happy with these seats in my current 991.

Good luck!
Old 05-12-2015, 03:51 AM
FergusH
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

You might have seen this before but here are some Targa GTS pictures in the wild:

http://www.autogespot.com/porsche/99...spottype=photo

I visit this, along with the link tracking the ship my Targa is on, several times each week...ok, each day!
Old 05-12-2015, 03:57 AM
Jeff Jones
Rennlist Member

I have not seen that site before with the "in the wild" photos. Very cool source of additional photos, thanks for sharing.

I'm not 100% sold on the alcantara either. I really like the other GTS interior touches like the red sticking, the red tach, etc. But I'm on the fence as to whether or not the whole package is the way to go. I guess if I go with Carmine red I don't really need anything else flashy do I
Old 05-12-2015, 10:48 AM
Vise
Drifting

Received 332 Likes on 205 Posts

Sapphire Blue on the Targa GTS looks amazing. Best colour but I'm not at all biased.
Old 05-12-2015, 11:42 AM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,632 Likes on 2,358 Posts

Originally Posted by Vise
Sapphire Blue on the Targa GTS looks amazing. Best colour but I'm not at all biased.
+1
Old 05-12-2015, 11:58 AM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Sport PASM?

Both great colors, but of the two, I'd probably go Carmine Red.
Pretty sure sport PASM (SPASM) is not available or the Targa or Cabriolet. Chassis is not strong enough.
Old 05-12-2015, 12:04 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Either color is great. If you are going with the GTS Interior Package, which I recommend, you might want to go with the Carmine Red exterior so you can get the GTS Interior Package in Carmine. I am not sure the Carmine Red Interior package would look good with the Sapphire Blue. You can get the GTS Interior Package in Rhodium Silver, and it looks fine and would look OK with Sapphire, but to me not quite as sporty as the Carmine Red interior.

If you have not driven a car with Power Steering Plus, you ought to see if you can find one to drive. Some like it, but many people do not like the overly assisted feel it gives to the steering at low speeds. There is one poster here that just took delivery of his GTS with PSP and he is investigating possibility of changing the software to remove it. Sales rep talked him into ordering it on his car.
Old 05-12-2015, 12:04 PM
CamsPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 235 Posts

I'd go Carmine Red!

I believe Sapphire Blue is being discontinued and my buddy who's got a Cayman GT4 allocation is being told they probably cannot guarantee the color as its being discontinued
Old 05-12-2015, 07:30 PM
fjpdds
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 14 Posts

Carmine Red
Old 05-12-2015, 08:02 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GSIRM3
Pretty sure sport PASM (SPASM) is not available or the Targa or Cabriolet. Chassis is not strong enough.
+1
Old 05-12-2015, 08:03 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CamsPorsche
I'd go Carmine Red!

I believe Sapphire Blue is being discontinued and my buddy who's got a Cayman GT4 allocation is being told they probably cannot guarantee the color as its being discontinued
still available on the configurator...
Old 05-12-2015, 08:05 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

no PDCC

Quick Reply: Deposit is down, time to lock in the build order for a Targa GTS