Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Deposit is down, time to lock in the build order for a Targa GTS

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2015, 08:43 PM
Jeff Jones
Rennlist Member

Received 1,762 Likes on 692 Posts

Thanks everyone for the input so far. After another trip to the dealer I've decided on a few things:

Carmine Red. I love the Blue but I think the car is even more stunning in that red. It's also the color that Porsche introduced for the GTS which I like for some reason.

I'm skipping the PDCC. I need to save some money someplace and for the driving that I'll be doing 95% of the time I don't think I will notice. The car will handle better than anything I've ever owned before.

I'm going with the Leather interior over Standard or GTS. Try as I might I just can't force myself to fall in love with the Alcantara. The GTS package cost isn't worth it to me.

Just when I thought I had every option nailed I started to obsess about the seats. I'm 5'10" and 250. The 18 way seat is a pain to get in and out of without stressing the left bolster (eventual damage is inevitable) but I like the extra room in the back/shoulders. It's not too tight when I'm sitting in it at all, I'm just really concerned about the entry/exit wear and tear. The 14 way seat is much nicer to get in and out of, is comfortable in the seat but seems to hit my shoulder blades a bit when holding the wheel. My perfect seat would be the bottom of the 14 and the top of the 18. Porsche Exclusive perhaps

Cheers,
Jeff
Old 05-12-2015, 08:54 PM
Jeff Jones
Rennlist Member

I'm also sticking with the Power Steering Plus feature. I can completely understand the opinion of others that find the parking lot maneuvering unnaturally easy. There is something nostalgic about a car that gets unwieldy to move around at low speeds. You know that you are directly connected to those huge tires! However, after having a 78 SC Targa and an 87 TL Cab without power steering I'm in a different camp. I love that Porsche has a solution for great road feel when you need it at speed and being able to single finger parallel park when you want to.
Old 05-12-2015, 10:36 PM
thomnellie
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ordered my Targa 4S with every performance option except the carbon ceramic brakes. It is a Porsche after all, and I dream of my first track outing. I also got the PSP. I don't understand comments about the steering being too light at parking speeds. I have driven several cars with variable assist and find the low speed effort in my Targa to be significantly heavier than in other vehicles. In fact, I find the variable assist quite transparent, equalizing the steering heaviness across the speed range. No matter what speed you are traveling, a given amount of steering effort gives a predictable deflection of the steering wheel, at least until you really lean into a corner at speed, then the steering effort lets you know that you are making it work. Until I had read some recent posts, I completely forgot that I had the PSP. Haven't seen the Carmine Red, but I think the targa looks spectacular in Guards Red, so I think you should be pleased with the Carmine.
Old 05-12-2015, 10:49 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff Jones
I love that Porsche has a solution for great road feel when you need it at speed and being able to single finger parallel park when you want to.
Love my PSP, but there's no way it's single finger light in my car.
Old 05-12-2015, 11:20 PM
Vise
Drifting

Received 332 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff Jones
I'm going with the Leather interior over Standard or GTS. Try as I might I just can't force myself to fall in love with the Alcantara. The GTS package cost isn't worth it to me.

Just when I thought I had every option nailed I started to obsess about the seats. I'm 5'10" and 250. The 18 way seat is a pain to get in and out of without stressing the left bolster (eventual damage is inevitable) but I like the extra room in the back/shoulders. It's not too tight when I'm sitting in it at all, I'm just really concerned about the entry/exit wear and tear.
Couple comments... re: interior you may want to also consider the hybrid option similar to what I have. Leather interior with full leather seats (no GTS package) but alcantara trim on the mid-doors, lower dash, and center arm rest lid. I also have the alcantara wheel/shifter and it ties in very well to the alcantara A-pillars and headliner. I think it is a bit more interesting than the normal all leather interior... plus the painted interior trim sets it off.

On the seats, I'm similar build wise to you (tip-top condition LOL) and the 18 ways are excellent. Agree there is potential for some wear on entry/exit but once seated they are fantastic. Just keep the leather treated/conditioned religiously and you should be ok.

Also if it isn't too late put the PDCC money into the Burmester. Trust me, it is phenomenal.
Old 05-12-2015, 11:21 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

I saw the Carmine Red Targa GTS at the NY Autoshow and it inspired me enough to get one.

To give you my view on your questions:
- I left the stickers on the door, but changed the model designation to 911. Might pull it of as well, but figured I would wait to see it first.
- I went with the GTS interior package in the end, it looks far less busy in person and I'm a big fan of alcantara wheels vs leather having owned Porsches with both.
- Carmine looks great in person (having seen both a Targa and GT3 in it), Sapphire looks great in some lighting but not good in others. I would get Carmine of the two.
Old 05-13-2015, 01:13 AM
Jeff Jones
Rennlist Member

Tip-top condition indeed. I'm in shape. Round is a shape.

Vise, do you use your car as a daily driver? If so, any annoyance getting in and out of the car with the 18 way seats? Is it something that becomes natural or do you think about hitting the bolster every single time?

I'm trying to weigh that concern with the feel of the 14 way on my shoulders which I'm thinking would be even more annoying since it lasts the entire time I'm in the car.

I would feel bad about being so obsessive with these decisions but I know I'm in good company on this forum
Old 05-13-2015, 01:24 AM
77tony
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 118 Posts

18 way heated/ventilated are the bomb. A bit tricky to get in/out of, but once your in there are wonderful (6'3" 215lbs). Do try all the seats at your dealership for fitment for your body type. T

Last edited by 77tony; 05-13-2015 at 01:46 AM.
Old 05-14-2015, 11:45 PM
CamsPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 235 Posts

What red is this?

Old 05-15-2015, 12:06 AM
Rocket_boy
Burning Brakes

Received 331 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by CamsPorsche
What red is this?

A red that isn't available.

Seriously,...it looks like the couple year old "ruby red" that isn't available any longer. You may be able to PTS it though.
Old 05-15-2015, 01:29 AM
mmaturo
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm 6'-2" and 260 and have no real issue getting in and out without killing the bolster but I have had years of practice with my R8 seats. The ventilated seats are worth the $$...not sure I realized how nice that really is till my S. With the seat automatically pulling back and the wheel up I find it pretty easy to get in and out with my usual technique. Place left arm on A pillar and back in and down with right leg in to left of wheel and turn once on the seat. Miss it. Should be a beautiful car.
Old 05-15-2015, 01:54 AM
Jeff Jones
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the tips, much appreciated. I'm glad to see there is another Porsche fan that also loves Audi. I had a S5 that I loved and my daily driver is a Q5 that I modified pretty heavily (before they came out with the SQ5). But I'm looking forward to this Targa GTS more than any other car I've ever owned. Well...maybe my 78 Targa gives it a run for the money!

I also realized that most of the time I'm going to be driving this car with the roof open. Entry and exit are so much easier when you don't have a roof to deal with

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 05-24-2015, 01:08 PM
Jeff Jones
Rennlist Member

Order locked, no looking back now On August 28th (hopefully a bit before) I will take delivery!

For anyone else out there obsessing about their options I suggest that you get out of the online configurator and spend as many hours in the dealer as possible driving cars. I was set on several things that got reversed after spending time with the cars. I found the sport plus seats much more comfortable. I discovered that I really like PDCC. And while backing the dealer's car into a tight spot I decided that the front/rear parking sensor with camera was worth it

Thanks for all of the help getting to this point. The wait is painful but at least summers in Seattle never feel very long!
  • 911 Targa 4 GTS
  • Carmine Red
  • Leather Interior in Black
  • Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK)
  • Porsche Dynamic Chassis Control (PDCC)
  • Deletion of Model Designation
  • Luggage Net in Passenger Footwell
  • Smoking Package
  • ParkAssist (Front and Rear) with Reversing Camera
  • Power Steering Plus
  • Deletion of Alcantara®
  • SportDesign Steering Wheel
  • Interior Package Painted i.c.w. Leather Interior
  • XHB Center Console Trim in Leather
  • Adaptive Sport Seats Plus (18-way) with Memory Package
  • Premium Package Plus w/ Adaptive Sport Seats Plus (18-way)
  • BOSE® Audio Package

The only real "risk" that I'm taking is with the painted interior trim on the doors and dash since I wasn't able to see another car like this in person. But I wanted to spice up the interior a bit and the GTS package wasn't an option for me.

Old 05-24-2015, 01:48 PM
Gj325
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's going to be one sweet ride!!!
I went with GTS package I didn't think of the pop you added it's going to be awesome. Can't wait to see the pictures in Aug.
Old 05-26-2015, 06:13 PM
eg991
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is going to be great; can't wait to see pics. Good luck with the wait!

Quick Reply: Deposit is down, time to lock in the build order for a Targa GTS