991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is a Porsche more than a car....?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2015 | 12:47 AM
drcollie
Rennlist Member

I have always thought that a Porsche cannot be rationalized as a 'car', any more than a Rolex can be explained away as just a 'watch' , a Picasso just a 'painting' or the Four Seasons is just a 'hotel'. None of these are needs, they are all wants and desires that go levels beyond 'common utility' grade items. I gave up long ago trying to explain to a Toyota owner what a Porsche is - either you get it, or you don't. And you are either willing to pay for it, or not. It's not a simple transportation device, rather its a rocketship for the soul that will either move you or leave you shaking your head at the cost of the toy.

I struggle with the price of them. Yet in the in-between years when I'm driving an Audi, or a BMW because I cheaped out in a fit of personal finance reform, I am never quite satisfied as when Stuttgart's finest is in my garage. The heart wants what the heart wants.
Old 05-02-2015 | 04:20 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Originally Posted by gota911
Ferdinand must be rolling over in his grave because Porsche used the "black bits" (a.k.a gimmicks) scattered all over the place on the current GTS. When I saw the initial pics of the GTS I thought "Why did they do that?"
How right you are. Of course as far as the OP's subject is concerned this is one of the great appeals, because even a car like the GTS which is all tarted up by Porsche standards is understated elegance compared to everything else on the market. I think one of the things people love about Porsche is the long history of under promising and over delivering. Its a shame they used "GTS" on a car that departs from that. At the same time though it shines a light on just how uncharacteristic it is to see artifice on a Porsche.
Old 05-02-2015 | 07:45 AM
Grunty
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by chuck911
How right you are. Of course as far as the OP's subject is concerned this is one of the great appeals, because even a car like the GTS which is all tarted up by Porsche standards is understated elegance compared to everything else on the market. I think one of the things people love about Porsche is the long history of under promising and over delivering. Its a shame they used "GTS" on a car that departs from that. At the same time though it shines a light on just how uncharacteristic it is to see artifice on a Porsche.
I personally dislike the look and, to a certain extent, the marketing schmaltz behind the GTS moniker.
However, it is ok in my book if Porsche wants to be a bit adventurous and try something a bit off their usual understated approach.
Porsche detractors harp on the persistence of the 911s design, (in form and function) implying that there is something fundamentally inflexible within the company. To a certain extent, they are right, but that conveniently ignores the fact that their offerings have widened considerably and that they are willing, albeit slowly, to adapt.
If Porsche wats to offer a pink unicorn dress up doll car version, so be it. It's not necessarily a cynical thing. As far as I can tell, there's no premium charged and it's all just a bit of fun. Even Germans need to let their hair down, occasionally. God help us if Porsche was run by the Swiss.
Old 05-02-2015 | 08:27 AM
Raven 666
Drifting

Mine is a loved family member .................
Old 05-02-2015 | 09:07 AM
cutolo91
Intermediate

i was looking to understand the "passion" for this brand as it seems to reach peoples all around the globe therefore yes interesting feedbacks i like, thx you all

Indeed, as "@check911" said, i may change my view once i receive my GTS (+ - 5 weeks) however initially i was looking to lease the aston martin vantage v12s. I love Aston. Power, Style and Exclusivity. I had a test drive with this car and I have been impressed....; switched on the sport modus a "Monster"…hard, extremly pushing forward, aggressivly. Absolute no comparison wiht the GTS. A sheep against a lion . I finally decide aginast the Aston due to my budget (lease 2k€ net plus extra costs).

I finally think too, yes, to be happy with my car. I hope as it is of course not the cheapest one. I had several drives with a Porsche prior signing testing the Panamera, the 911S, 4S and the GTS. Due the look my decision failed for the GTS.
Old 05-02-2015 | 02:30 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Grunty
I personally dislike the look and, to a certain extent, the marketing schmaltz behind the GTS moniker.
However, it is ok in my book if Porsche wants to be a bit adventurous and try something a bit off their usual understated approach.
Porsche detractors harp on the persistence of the 911s design, (in form and function) implying that there is something fundamentally inflexible within the company. To a certain extent, they are right, but that conveniently ignores the fact that their offerings have widened considerably and that they are willing, albeit slowly, to adapt.
If Porsche wats to offer a pink unicorn dress up doll car version, so be it. It's not necessarily a cynical thing. As far as I can tell, there's no premium charged and it's all just a bit of fun. Even Germans need to let their hair down, occasionally. God help us if Porsche was run by the Swiss.
I concur that it's OK for Porsche to be "adventurous" as long as they give potential buyers a way to minimize the "adventure" for those who don't like it. Fortunately, Porsche has done exactly that with the GTS. You can select replacement options, many at no cost, to rid yourself on "black bits," both inside and out, as well as the alcantara crap.

If I were in the market to order a GTS (RWD) that is exactly what I would do. I would gladly pay the $2,000 to add the duck tail, thereby eliminating the "black BB-Q grill" from the rear deck lid. The only black thing you can't eliminate when ordering a GTS (2) is the black strip between the tail lights. I would either opt to replace that with GTS 4 light strip or have the black bar painted to match the body color.

Thank gawd that you can also option out of CL wheels. Who wants to have grease the threads each time then torque them to 440 pound feet, then have to back off the torque 1/4 turn. Seriously?

I guess I stopped drinking the Porsche kool-aide once I found out it was made with 100% genuine artificial flavoring and artificial coloring, plus the water they use comes from Poland.
Old 05-02-2015 | 07:36 PM
chuck911
Race Car

I gather the OP is new to Porsche and probably has no idea of the 90 years of history and development behind the 911. From its humble beginnings in 1934 to today's iconic benchmark it really is incomparable. While everyone else pulls out clean white sheets that after a few years wind up crumpled up in the dust bin, Porsche just keeps chipping away like some mythical Darwinian Michelangelo. Every year you think how are they gonna make it any better? Then the next year they do. How can you not love that?
Old 05-02-2015 | 07:55 PM
extanker
Banned

....rocket ship for the soul.................ninja pleeeezzzzz. po folk beezz strange
Old 05-02-2015 | 10:53 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Originally Posted by gota911 :
Ferdinand must be rolling over in his grave because Porsche used the "black bits" (a.k.a gimmicks) scattered all over the place on the current GTS. When I saw the initial pics of the GTS I thought "Why did they do that?"

Post by the Chucker:
How right you are. Of course as far as the OP's subject is concerned this is one of the great appeals, because even a car like the GTS which is all tarted up by Porsche standards is understated elegance compared to everything else on the market. I think one of the things people love about Porsche is the long history of under promising and over delivering. Its a shame they used "GTS" on a car that departs from that. At the same time though it shines a light on just how uncharacteristic it is to see artifice on a Porsche."

You guys sound like the 356 crowd when the 911 was introduced with wood on the dash, and a gold "911" on the engine lid. Not to mention the lead in the front bumper overrides!
Old 05-02-2015 | 11:22 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
Originally Posted by gota911 :

Post by the Chucker:
How right you are. Of course as far as the OP's subject is concerned this is one of the great appeals, because even a car like the GTS which is all tarted up by Porsche standards is understated elegance compared to everything else on the market. I think one of the things people love about Porsche is the long history of under promising and over delivering. Its a shame they used "GTS" on a car that departs from that. At the same time though it shines a light on just how uncharacteristic it is to see artifice on a Porsche."

You guys sound like the 356 crowd when the 911 was introduced with wood on the dash, and a gold "911" on the engine lid. Not to mention the lead in the front bumper overrides!
Sort of. Except that they were bemoaning an entirely new model that superseded theirs. In their case the new model really was a new model. New body, new suspension, engine, the works.

In the case of the GTS, where's the new body? Nowhere, its a standard C4S. Where's the new suspension? Nowhere, its the standard Carrera. Where's the new engine? Nowhere. X51 is not a new engine. Its an option.

On and on down the line, the only thing new is the three letters. Its as if Porsche said, "we're gonna quit making the 356. Here's our new car, called the 911"… and the curtain goes up on a 356 with dark headlights.

Pure artifice. No substance. They'd be LIVID! And not just them. Porsche would be the laughingstock of the world!

You've been around long enough I'm sure you know all this and are just sporting with me. A lot of guys though don't know the history. Wouldn't want them getting the wrong impression. Seen in the light of the 356 example the whole GTS being a "model" thing is one of the bigger Porsche travesties of all time. If the GTS is a "model" then so is every 911 with options that ever rolled off the line.
Old 05-03-2015 | 09:21 AM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Hmmm... I don't think of the GTS as a "model." Anymore than I thought of my 2004 Boxster S "50 Years of 550" as a model. And it even got a whopping +6hp motor, unavailable anywhere else in the line. It was a Porsche Special Edition, tarted up with a few (largely cosmetic) bits unavailable by ordering, but otherwise an attractively priced Boxster S (about 15k cheaper than a similarly optioned S, could one have ordered all the options of the 550).

And Porsche repeated this with the RS60, and with the Orange pumpkin editions in the 987 line.

And Porsche first rolled out the "S" line on the modern watercoolers with the C4S and Carrera S 993s. Just a Turbo body without the melted whaletail for the RWD model, and a Turbo body, brakes and suspension where the C4S was concerned. But this was the genesis of the "S" model. No new engine. Nothing new except wider bodies. Of course, with the intro of 997, S began to receive bigger motors, and now stands legitimately as a separate line. But from 1996 till 2005 it was a precursor to the current GTS -- wide body, a few exterior styling bits (split grill -- Woo Hoo!), same old everything else.

So who knows -- maybe the GTS will become a stand-alone line. It makes sense; eliminate the X51 for S and voila! You have a raison d'etre for the GTS to remain constantly in the lineup. Just introduce it in the first year, alongside base and S models, and you're set.

Of course, then you have to come up with something else cosmetic to get us all to trade in our GTS two years later.
Old 05-03-2015 | 09:41 AM
LSV
Advanced

Originally Posted by Grunty
911 would still use air-cooled flat-six and machined Fuchs rims. Not that bad, actually.
Old 05-03-2015 | 03:33 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
Hmmm... I don't think of the GTS as a "model." Anymore than I thought of my 2004 Boxster S "50 Years of 550" as a model. And it even got a whopping +6hp motor, unavailable anywhere else in the line. It was a Porsche Special Edition, tarted up with a few (largely cosmetic) bits unavailable by ordering, but otherwise an attractively priced Boxster S (about 15k cheaper than a similarly optioned S, could one have ordered all the options of the 550).

And Porsche repeated this with the RS60, and with the Orange pumpkin editions in the 987 line.

And Porsche first rolled out the "S" line on the modern watercoolers with the C4S and Carrera S 993s. Just a Turbo body without the melted whaletail for the RWD model, and a Turbo body, brakes and suspension where the C4S was concerned. But this was the genesis of the "S" model. No new engine. Nothing new except wider bodies. Of course, with the intro of 997, S began to receive bigger motors, and now stands legitimately as a separate line. But from 1996 till 2005 it was a precursor to the current GTS -- wide body, a few exterior styling bits (split grill -- Woo Hoo!), same old everything else.

So who knows -- maybe the GTS will become a stand-alone line. It makes sense; eliminate the X51 for S and voila! You have a raison d'etre for the GTS to remain constantly in the lineup. Just introduce it in the first year, alongside base and S models, and you're set.

Of course, then you have to come up with something else cosmetic to get us all to trade in our GTS two years later.

I forget the exact years, but Porsche had a 911T, 911E and 911S back in the 1960's. The T had carbs, the E (for einspritzen) was fuel injected, and the S had more power.

As for what is a "model" you're free to think what you like but the reality is a model is whatever Porsche says it is!

Now that being said Porsche has a long history of conventions or rules for naming their models.

1. The number or name is the base model.
2. Models with significant performance upgrades (i.e. not just optional equipment) are denoted by the letters "S", "GT", "R", "RS", etc (the list has varied over time, see above "T" and "E".)
3. Models with mostly appearance changes or insignificant upgrades (i.e. just optional equipment) aka "special editions" are denoted by other names, i.e. "50", Club Coupe, Club Sport, Spyder, Cabriolet, Targa, etc.

Knowing this, if someone tells you they have a Weissach Edition, or 911_50, you know instantly that whatever it is, its pretty much whatever the S was then, plus options. But if someone says "GT" you know its chock full of serious work.

Okay so the 993S doesn't quite fit. But Porsche has been a lot more careful with the GT brand. Until now.
Old 05-03-2015 | 06:42 PM
pap2828
Racer

Originally Posted by porschedog
Drive the car for a while. You will "get it" soon enough. LAme-bos? Ferraris? yuck. They are for those with zero imagination, passion or soul. They are typically (but not always) owned by bazoobs who cannot operate a clutch and are in witness protection. You pretty much have to be named Joey Two Fingers or Justin Bieber to get one and it has to be in a gross, neon color.
ha funny and true
Old 05-03-2015 | 07:10 PM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by chuck911
Okay so the 993S doesn't quite fit. But Porsche has been a lot more careful with the GT brand. Until now.
I'm one of those GTS owners who agrees with you and believes that it's nothing more than an options package. I saved money. I love the car. I'm happy. What I don't get is why that bothers people so much.

Chuck, I'm going out on a bit of limb here. Your posts are generally articulate and often include pretty astute (and often esoteric) references. So, I'm guessing you're a pretty educated guy. And I'm guessing that you understand why Porsche develops and markets vehicles like that Cayenne and Macan. It's just smart, market-driven tactics that provide Porsche the resources to continue to engineer cars like the 911, right?

So assuming you can accept the Cayenne (the Macan, non-air-cooled engines, etc.), what's the big deal whether my car has a C2S or a GTS badge on its backside?

btw, I'm a car enthusiast and a business guy, so I appreciate good cars and good business. Just me, I guess . . .

Quick Reply: Is a Porsche more than a car....?