vaderone
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Nice!
Old 04-30-2015, 06:58 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,335 Likes on 752 Posts

Guards Red with black looks great. I'm biased though. Good luck, safe driving.
Old 04-30-2015, 01:13 PM
BruceSA
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gts

Nice Penn.

Mac, that's why I have the jammer...works well except for the new radar they are using on N3 and M1.
Old 04-30-2015, 02:48 PM
dmv
4th Gear

Default Great colour

Great colour. Saw the car last week and immediately had doubts about ordering GT Silver. Take delivery of my car in JHB next week after wheels have been refinished to Turbo look.
Old 04-30-2015, 04:42 PM
Madmac
Instructor

Really happy with you guys going against the grain and not ordering white cars. For the U.S. crowd, I'd say 85% of Porsches sold in SA are white!

I wanted GT silver, looks awesome, wife wanted CR, happily settled on SB and saved some coin.
Old 04-30-2015, 05:38 PM
RyanT964
Track Day

Default VPS

@Bruce - I'm not exactly sure where I'm having the front wrapped? My father in law (also has a 991S) is having his done at the same time and a mate of his with the Ferrari club recommended a crowd out in Modderfontein to do it - they apparently do all the Ferraris, they don't cut on the car and have the correct 991 and sport design templates... Takes 3 days!
(And its darn expensive!!!)

@Mac - I love Sapphire Blue! Saw a targa in it and thought it looked the business... That all said, this is my 4th silver Porsche. First was an arctic silver 987 Boxster S, then an arctic silver 996 mk2 Carrera, then an arctic silver 997 mk1. I got rid of that one and bought a basalt black 997 (which was one of the best cars I ever owned - was just a very special 911)

So yes, GT is a little predictable (again) but I do think it's an unusual silver, it's expensive (and probably a little more exclusive) and its (almost) as fast as guards red...😜

My ultimate would be lava orange - but I don't have the guts to do it!

(And my wife would hate it and consequently never be seen in it!)

Look forward to meeting up with both you guys sometime for a run out to Harties... A few of us (about 5 or so) Porsche owners regularly go for a drive and brekkie on a Sunday.
Old 04-30-2015, 07:18 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Beautiful. Congratulations.
Old 05-01-2015, 12:58 AM
thomnellie
Racer

Originally Posted by chuck911
Wow, I'm impressed. Not only did you get a great car, you got a great sales rep!

Oh wait! Sorry! Nevermind! You're in South Africa!

In fact, since the car is brand new you not only should not be shy about using the revs, you should actually be doing everything you can to get as much wide open throttle as possible the first few hundred miles. High pressure early on helps seat piston rings, the key to a freely revving, high power and long lasting engine. But even if you don't aggressively pursue that, its still great to know you are out there unafraid of driving your new 911 as it was meant to be driven! Congratulations!
This runs contrary to what the manual for my Targa 4S with the Powerkit says. The manual advises not going above 4000 RPM for 2000 miles. The reason is to avoid heat build-up before everything is properly seated. I suspect they mean to avoid extended running at high RPM. I generally stuck to the manual's advice except for brief forays into higher revs. Never did make it much above 6K RPM given that redline in first gear is good for over 70 mph.
Old 05-01-2015, 01:25 AM
991TurboS
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RyanT964
Hi Bruce,

Great car BTW your side too - love the GR color (I owned a 964 RS replica in that color which was fantastic!)

I don't want to fit a front number plate but I guess I'll have to? When I land on Monday I'm taking the car to have the whole front and windscreen wrapped in clear film protection... Will fit a number plate post that... Maybe!!!

Also have to take it back to the dealership to have the badge delet done - I want "PORSCHE" with "GTS" underneath it... Similar to the GT3 badging.
Have you thought about just "GTS" on the back instead of "Porsche GTS"? I just got done rebadging my TTS from this:

To this:

I like mine without the "Porsche" on it, uncluttered and easier to keep clean. Everyone knows it is a 911 and a Porsche already.
Old 05-01-2015, 03:09 AM
BruceSA
Advanced

Default GTS

@Ryan. These are the same guys that did mine yesterday. They had a Ferrari cancellation so could do mine. Came to my house and did full frontal plus rear bumper, a pillars and roof strip, door edges. Took 5 hours for 3 of them. The reason they mention 3 days is they want the car in the sun and to do checks after 3 days. The film is Xpel ultimate and comes pre-cut. Very nice job and better than vps I fitted to my other cars.

Your Sunday run sounds good!

@Mac, Sbm was my second choice then GT silver. I do prefer metallic colour but my family also pressured me to go red. Carmine was just not right tinge for me when I saw the two reds together in sunlight.
Old 05-01-2015, 08:51 AM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 233 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by 991TurboS

I like mine without the "Porsche" on it, uncluttered and easier to keep clean. Everyone knows it is a 911 and a Porsche already.
That looks great. Just like what's on the back of my old Turbo.

But I would submit that works on a Turbo because Turbo has been the name of that car for 40 years now. Those of us who were alive when it came out (even though I was just a pre-teen) knew it by one name and one name only: Turbo. If you said "Look at that Turbo" nobody thought you meant a Saab 900 or a Buick Regal Turbo; they knew you meant a Turbo.

So posting up Turbo all by its lonesome on the back of your car is a proud boast, a stand-alone evocation of the greatness that is not to be messed with. It's almost like there's an implied "Nuff Said" badge underneath the "Turbo."

But GTS lacks that cultural resonance. Nobody buys GTSTax software in April. Nobody buys a GTSVac to clean their floors. No business leader tells his team, "We need to GTS-charge our efforts this quarter."

So I think "GTS" looks mighty lonely sitting back there trying to anchor that giant rear end.

Old 05-01-2015, 02:44 PM
freeman
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Sorry guys
I have owned many turbo (non-Porsche ) cars. I now own a spectacular Ford Taurus SHO. With twin turbochargers. I also drove a 2015 Porsche Turbo in anticipation of purchase. I have never been more frightened by crossing a crowded intersection in a Turbo. The hesitation with nothing responsive is frightening. My new GTS keeps me happy and safe.
Old 05-01-2015, 04:58 PM
PMNewton
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Love the Guards Red with black centerlocks. Can you lower the car in South Africa without legal issues? I was nervous about lowering my 991 Turbo but now I can't imagine it any other way. Really looks mean now.

- Patrick
Old 05-01-2015, 05:27 PM
Madmac
Instructor

Originally Posted by RyanT964

@Mac - I love Sapphire Blue! Saw a targa in it and thought it looked the business... That all said, this is my 4th silver Porsche. First was an arctic silver 987 Boxster S, then an arctic silver 996 mk2 Carrera, then an arctic silver 997 mk1. I got rid of that one and bought a basalt black 997 (which was one of the best cars I ever owned - was just a very special 911)

So yes, GT is a little predictable (again) but I do think it's an unusual silver, it's expensive (and probably a little more exclusive) and its (almost) as fast as guards red...😜

Look forward to meeting up with both you guys sometime for a run out to Harties... A few of us (about 5 or so) Porsche owners regularly go for a drive and brekkie on a Sunday.
I wanted GT silver, my wife wanted Carmine, both stunning, but a pretty expensive option and had already ticked quite a few option boxes - you know the drill.

Am interested in seeing your plastic wraps - thinking of getting the front end done, though have not been happy with other cars that I've seen done which leaves gaps etc.

Breakfast run sounds good. Will send you both a pm. Am in Mphumalanga currently having spent the last 2 days blasting up and over the berg multiple times each day - did 500km today
Old 05-01-2015, 05:31 PM
BruceSA
Advanced

I took my GTS on a 170 mile drive today. My observations so far compared to my 2012 C2S:

1. Feels more planted and stable
2. Extra power can be felt
3. PSE much louder and not so much drone
4. Handling not so twitchy on uneven surfaces
5. Steering more direct and stiffer
6. Brakes sharper
7. Car attracts more looks and interest

Overall I feel it is a much better car.

Quick Reply: 149 days later