Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone worried about future maintenance costs?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 02:05 AM
johnireland
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

You will probably never own another car. You may lease it for three to five years...but the banks will own it...at these interest rates why tie up over one hundred thousand in a car that only goes down in value. The second owner will also be a lease...why tie up over seventy-five thousand in a used car that will only go down in value faster. The third owner in this automotive Ponzi scheme is the sucker who gets stuck holding the bag...and paying for all the repairs.

Seven sensors per door just to raise the window up and down a half an inch when you open the door. Computers and motors to remember how you like your seat. A transmission so complicated they have send it back to Germany for anyone to work on it. An "E"mergency brake that depends on your battery and a computer. Having to jump start the trunk lid just so you can jump start your car. A car that has so many electrical doodads that it drains the battery just sitting there for a couple of weeks. A "keys" you carry in your pocket to tell the make believe key in the ignition that you can start the car. Motors that stop and start on their own when you stop at a traffic light (wait until that computer malfunctions). TV cameras and beepers so you don't have to turn your head and look over your shoulder when you want to back up.

These cars a expensive throw away toys that even DIY people can only pretend they are working on. The last real car that Porsche built was the 993. Everything after that is a microwave/toasterover/flatscreen TV on wheels. Welcome to the throw-away world and the Nanny 911.
Old 07-06-2015, 02:57 AM
VintageRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 466 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by johnireland
You may lease it for three to five years...but the banks will own it...at these interest rates why tie up over one hundred thousand in a car that only goes down in value.
I paid cash for my car. Yes, it will depreciate. Cash buyers may have a clue about this.

In Georgia, we now pay a one-time 'tax' which is lower than the regular sales tax. We get a new tag every year for $21.

My 1973 Carrera tag is $100 per year in taxes. I paid $27K for it ten years ago. It's worth more than $27K now.

The cost of owning and servicing a 991 is different depending on the overall cost and your location and financing.
Old 07-06-2015, 07:58 AM
autobahnA8
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

All of my previous p-cars have been very reliable. Wouldn't hesitate owning them out of warranty - then again I usually get the itch for a new one after a couple years.

The only issues on the newer cars have been electronics related (PCM modules, etc).

Quick Reply: Anyone worried about future maintenance costs?