Sponsored by:

Cool mod: GT3RS hood?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2015, 10:39 AM
Just J
Rennlist Member

Received 378 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by 991TurboS
I like the air vent cut into the front bumper cover right in front of the hood more than the hood itself.
Agreed. Not sure what the appeal of the hood itself is. The creases? I guess they're sorta OK, but the real appeal is indeed that air vent.
Old 04-25-2015, 04:11 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Just J
Agreed. Not sure what the appeal of the hood itself is. The creases? I guess they're sorta OK, but the real appeal is indeed that air vent.
The appeal of the hood is that its an RS hood.

Functionally, being carbon fiber it saves a few pounds. Probably about as much as going to a lighter battery. But I guess after you've done that and lightened everything else and you're still so gonzo out there on the edge of the envelope that another 8 lbs is worth $8k then there's your appeal.

Porsche will probably say the creases are aero. They look to me like an homage to the earlier air-cooled cars. But then if it is an homage they should have used it on the 911 Sport Classic. That car did have the same shape on the roof but not the hood. On the hood of that car it would have been an obvious homage. On the purpose-built RS, doubtful. http://www.autoblog.com/2010/07/22/2...eview/#image-9
Old 04-25-2015, 07:02 PM
shaytun
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Marv800
IMHO, GT3RS Parts should stay on a GT3RS only
Agree. I saw a C2 the other day with an "S" sticker on the back. Who are they trying to fool. First, the C2 is awesome already. Second, the regular single outlet exhausts and non-painted brake calipers give it away. Nothing wrong with getting a different hood just not the GT3RS one. My two cents.
Old 04-25-2015, 09:36 PM
Marv800
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by shaytun
Agree. I saw a C2 the other day with an "S" sticker on the back. Who are they trying to fool. First, the C2 is awesome already. Second, the regular single outlet exhausts and non-painted brake calipers give it away. Nothing wrong with getting a different hood just not the GT3RS one. My two cents.
I was considering getting a 918 emblem, a GT3 emblem, a 4S emblem, and putting it all on my car. I'd be the owner of the only 918 Spyder GT3 4S Porsche in the world!
Old 04-26-2015, 01:56 AM
shaytun
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Marv800
I was considering getting a 918 emblem, a GT3 emblem, a 4S emblem, and putting it all on my car. I'd be the owner of the only 918 Spyder GT3 4S Porsche in the world!
That would make it quite a rare Porsche, and an expensive one at that.
Old 04-26-2015, 02:53 AM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 129 Posts

I plan on taking a sawzall to my front fenders sometime soon. I'll have my buddy who repairs surfboards make the hood.

I'm all for personalizing our cars. Anything factory Porsche part just like everyone has mentioned will be even more expensive than imagined but I do think the hood and fenders look amazing. They are what makes the RS visual icing.

Keep checking Ebay. I'd bet there's a little garage outside a small farming community in China somewhere right now with inexpensive knock off hoods ready for shipping. Just check ebay for aftermarket bumper covers. It's rampant with them.
Old 04-26-2015, 10:54 AM
Team Plutonium
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I love modding, but I'm not a fan of adding parts from a different 911, especially not a GT3. If you live in an area where nobody knows the difference and it makes you happy - go for it; although I can think of tons of mods I'd rather buy with that money. Prepare to be laughed at at track days or car meets though.

Quick Reply: Cool mod: GT3RS hood?