Lowering the 991S

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 09:39 AM
Team Plutonium
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Slantnose!
Wonder if that makes a difference?
In regards to the springs? No idea, gotta check with KW, I don't know what the change would be, but the fact that they offer a "different" kit suggests that there is a difference.
Old 04-20-2015, 12:21 PM
Augustomf
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Team Plutonium
Adjustable springs. I wanted to retain the factory PASM, but also wanted more control than just TechArt springs, etc..
In regards to the springs? No idea, gotta check with KW, I don't know what the change would be, but the fact that they offer a "different" kit suggests that there is a difference.
I am going to do a review later on of all the thinks I found out on my search. But here are some basics. The spring rates on all Porsche Suspension are Linear not Progressive. The SPASM Suspension has springs with the following rates 187 lb/in front, 436 lb/in rear. EIBACH springs are progressive 125/182 lb/in front, 262/399 rear.
Besides the springs there are two more differences between the PASM and SPASM suspension; First all bump stops are diferent for the SPASM suspension, front 99134330105 for SPASM and 99134330106 for standard suspension, the rear are 99133310501 for the SPASM and 99133310503 for Standard Suspension.
Now the most intersting one, and the picture Slantnose posted is great to view this, the bottom plate on the rear suspension is very different wider looks like a dish compare to the one on regular PASM. My guess is that the SPASM spring instead of being shorter with less coils, has the two last coils close to each other, the coil right after the bottom coil is wide and when compressed it rests on the outer rim of the dish-like bottom plate. You can see the mark on the picture SLANTNOSE posted on the first page (posted it again). I am guessing the bottom washer number for SPASM is 99133341300 and for PASM is 99733341300 (note the first 3 digits change not the last).

Lastly for Springs, fronts PASM have Yellow + Blue/Green markings, for SPASM
have Yellow + Green/Brown. Rear Springs are harder to figure out, all markings I got from people in this post did not match the parts catalog I found. My car has Blue + Blue/Green marking, does not match any color in the catalog. 008 posted Blue Orange and Green markings which also do not match the catalog. 991-333-531-10-504 W/1 ORANGE & 1 YELLOW-GREEN MARK, 991-333-531-03-504 W/1 YELLOW-GREEN & 1 ORANGE MARK,
991-333-531-05-504 W/1 LIGHT BLUE & 1 YELLOW-GREEN MARK.

I think I am going with the Eibach springs, but still waiting to see if I can find some SPASM springs. But for sure I will change the BUMP stops and the Bottom Washers/Supports on the rear struts.

Here is the pic Slantnose posted.
Attached Images  
Old 04-20-2015, 01:08 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,437 Likes on 2,247 Posts

one of the nice features of the Elephant kit (and probably the KW kit also) is that you can choose your spring rates (Elephant uses hypercoil which are used in F1 and other motorsports applications)...

on the downside - you have to grind off the tab on the front PASM strut (unlike the KW kit)

You should also look at the GMG lowering springs as well ...

Last edited by Larry Cable; 04-21-2015 at 03:17 PM.
Old 04-21-2015, 03:01 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

I lowered my 991S with the KW Height Adjustable Springs which works with the PASM. I'm selling those in case you are interested since I sold the car last year. PM if you are interested.
how did you like the KW kit? - how was the ride etc?
Old 04-27-2015, 02:42 PM
Augustomf
Rennlist Member

The difference is on the base, the attachement for the torsion bar link is diferent for PDCC and NON PDCC cars, look at pictures below.

As far as the Springs, ssems that the front Sport Springs are indeed the 991-343-531-08-504 W/O AWD, W/YELLOW-GREEN/BROWN MARKS.

Now the REAR ones do not mach any of the springs listed in the Catalog, I got two people thyat have SPASM cars say they spring have Blue, Orange+Green markings. The catalog has no such springs listed, nor does it have my springs listed, I have Blue, Blue+Green markings on my PASM (no Sport) springs.
Attached Images   
Old 04-27-2015, 07:30 PM
Team Plutonium
Drifting

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
how did you like the KW kit? - how was the ride etc?
I liked it a lot, especially for the price. Wasn't any harsher than stock (not to me at least).
Old 04-27-2015, 07:33 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

I liked it a lot, especially for the price. Wasn't any harsher than stock (not to me at least).
cool - I'm torn between using a KW H.A.S kit and Bilstein Damptronics ...
Old 04-27-2015, 08:56 PM
Team Plutonium
Drifting

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
cool - I'm torn between using a KW H.A.S kit and Bilstein Damptronics ...
Yeah, tough call for sure. I'm giving Ohlins a go this time, I'll report back when I pulverized my spine.
Old 04-27-2015, 09:02 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Yeah, tough call for sure. I'm giving Ohlins a go this time, I'll report back when I pulverized my spine.
Yeah I want to keep PASM function, so its either lowering springs, H.A.S, or damptronics ...
Old 04-28-2015, 08:41 AM
Augustomf
Rennlist Member

I just ordered the Eibach pro kit. A easy way to try a lowered suspension and completely reversible to stock and not a large monetary loss if I did not like it.

They should arrive mid May. I will do a thread on the swap, which I think I will do it myself. One thing that still bugs me though is the lower perch of the Rear Sport PASM suspension, I wonder if I should get the larger disk like to replace mine.

Also got some spacers, 8mm up front and 18 for the rear. Let's see how it all fits together.
Old 04-29-2015, 07:39 AM
Slantnose!
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Augustomf
I just ordered the Eibach pro kit. A easy way to try a lowered suspension and completely reversible to stock and not a large monetary loss if I did not like it.

They should arrive mid May. I will do a thread on the swap, which I think I will do it myself. One thing that still bugs me though is the lower perch of the Rear Sport PASM suspension, I wonder if I should get the larger disk like to replace mine.

Also got some spacers, 8mm up front and 18 for the rear. Let's see how it all fits together.
Cool, look forward to seeing how that works out...
...if you're on stock wheels/tires, won't that be too much spacer?
Old 05-29-2015, 04:58 PM
JAL
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 Porsche 911 C4S Cabriolet Lowered on H&R

I just got my car professionally lowered by Precision Motorsport Racing in Long Valley, NJ. Will DiGiovanni and Team did their usual professional and artful work. I used H&R sport lowering springs and front bump stops and then the car was re-aligned to PMR's sport street set-up. It is sitting just over an inch lower front and rear. It does ride a bit more firm than before but is still very street appropriate with enough stroke in the suspension. For my tastes, admittedly coming off a 997 GT3 RS and Carrera S previously, the ride now feels more appropriate for a sports car, as in stock form, it was almost too refined and comfortable. And of course, I love the looks!
Old 05-29-2015, 05:01 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JAL
I just got my car professionally lowered by Precision Motorsport Racing in Long Valley, NJ. Will DiGiovanni and Team did their usual professional and artful work. I used H&R sport lowering springs and front bump stops and then the car was re-aligned to PMR's sport street set-up. It is sitting just over an inch lower front and rear. It does ride a bit more firm than before but is still very street appropriate with enough stroke in the suspension. For my tastes, admittedly coming off a 997 GT3 RS and Carrera S previously, the ride now feels more appropriate for a sports car, as in stock form, it was almost too refined and comfortable. And of course, I love the looks!
do you have any before/after pictures?

also, how does it ride in SPORT PASM mode, I found the stock springs in SPORT mode resulted in far too stiff a ride even on the autobahn never mind a track!
Old 05-29-2015, 05:53 PM
Slantnose!
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Pictures please.
Old 12-03-2015, 02:23 PM
MKW
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts

reviving old thread to add this image of the shorter stiffer factory US model 991.1 " -20 " Sport PASM springs , taken off a car so equipped , to assist with " color coding " when ordering in future .

caveat : not sure if RWD and AWD models have different springs and not sure which these came off of

Fronts are " Yellow ; Green-Violet "
Rears are " Light Blue ; Green-Orange "

Last edited by MKW; 12-03-2015 at 02:40 PM.

Quick Reply: Lowering the 991S