Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How important is Dynamic Chassis Control

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2015 | 01:13 PM
Yard Dog
Instructor

Default How important is Dynamic Chassis Control

I recently ordered a GTS which isn't scheduled to arrive until the end of June. My dealer called today to alert me they had just taken delivery of another almost identical GTS in trade from another dealer. The car they traded for does not have Dynamic Chassis Control and the one I ordered does. The car they traded for also has a glass sunroof and the one I ordered deletes a sunroof altogether. Yeah, I can wait for the ordered car, but it would be nice to have a car to drive now. I would not order a sunroof by choice, but the glass roof is attractive and I can live with it. More at issue is the PDCC. I know what it does, but I have not spent enough time driving a car that has it to know whether or not it is something I essentially need. What do you think?
Old 04-13-2015 | 01:27 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

My personal vote is its an option you, your wallet and your GTS can well do without, others will tell you its a must have option that transforms the ride. I really dont see why a sports car like the 911 needs dynamic anti-sway/roll bars ... especially on a PASM equipped car.

Many people who take their cars onto a track anecdotally find that PDCC robs the car of some of its feeling towards and at the limit of adhesion.

save yourself $3k...
Old 04-13-2015 | 01:41 PM
chuck911
Race Car

The one you really want is worth waiting for.
Old 04-13-2015 | 01:54 PM
Rocket_boy
Burning Brakes

I decided no also,.....lots more uses for the $3k price tag,.....on the car or somewhere else. It's heavy and complex for what it does.

I firmly believe there are some that will tick anything in the "Performance" section of the configurator just because it's in that section.

If there was a check box that said "Kick in the Nuts at Delivery",.....some would still check it. You have to decide yourself though whether you want/need it or not.
Old 04-13-2015 | 01:58 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rocket_boy
I decided no also,.....lots more uses for the $3k price tag,.....on the car or somewhere else. It's heavy and complex for what it does.

I firmly believe there are some that will tick anything in the "Performance" section of the configurator just because it's in that section.

If there was a check box that said "Kick in the Nuts at Delivery",.....some would still check it. You have to decide yourself though whether you want/need it or not.
is that an available performance option?

BTW I agree $3k for PDCC might make sense on a 2.5T SUV it makes no sense to me on a sports car like the 911 with an already sport suspension and very little body roll; Ive also read a number of journalists reviews where
they do not like the 'feel' of PDCC cars on the track.
Old 04-13-2015 | 02:27 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

I like it......but mine was CPO'ed.

If I had to order I'm not sure what route I would have taken.
Old 04-13-2015 | 02:59 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

I think in reality you would have to drive a couple of cars back-to-back, one with, one without to really determine which driving experience you prefer... its the only way ...

why did you "tick the box" for PDCC in the 1st place? - what was it about the feature that led you to spend $3k+ on it?
Old 04-13-2015 | 03:09 PM
Parnelli
Three Wheelin'

PDCC comes on automaically when in Sport or Sport Plus mode, correct?

Otherwise, you'd have to manually turn it on when in "non-sport mode" ?
Old 04-13-2015 | 03:13 PM
mathfuzzy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Yard Dog
I recently ordered a GTS which isn't scheduled to arrive until the end of June. My dealer called today to alert me they had just taken delivery of another almost identical GTS in trade from another dealer. The car they traded for does not have Dynamic Chassis Control and the one I ordered does. The car they traded for also has a glass sunroof and the one I ordered deletes a sunroof altogether. Yeah, I can wait for the ordered car, but it would be nice to have a car to drive now. I would not order a sunroof by choice, but the glass roof is attractive and I can live with it. More at issue is the PDCC. I know what it does, but I have not spent enough time driving a car that has it to know whether or not it is something I essentially need. What do you think?
Definitely not essential.

I've read more against it than for it.
Old 04-13-2015 | 03:14 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Parnelli
PDCC comes on automaically when in Sport or Sport Plus mode, correct?

Otherwise, you'd have to manually turn it on when in "non-sport mode" ?
Nope, if your car is PDCC equipped its always on, unless you are on the track and it faults and goes into limp mode.
Old 04-13-2015 | 03:16 PM
Pez D. Spencer
Advanced

When I asked the dealer when I ordered, they said waste of money unless I am fast on the track, then I might gain a second a lap with it.
Old 04-13-2015 | 03:20 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Pez D. Spencer
When I asked the dealer when I ordered, they said waste of money unless I am fast on the track, then I might gain a second a lap with it.
until it faults, or until you lose it because many of the criticisms of the system are that it reduces the feedback to the driver, so its harder to tell when the car
is near, at or about to go beyond the limits of adhesion...

and I dont know of a (911) race car that has such a system...
Old 04-13-2015 | 03:21 PM
Parnelli
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
Nope, if your car is PDCC equipped its always on, unless you are on the track and it faults and goes into limp mode.
Then why is there a 'PDCC' button that lights up (right under Sport Plus button)? On PDCC cars that button will always be lit up? In that case why even have the extra button?
Old 04-13-2015 | 03:24 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Parnelli
Then why is there a 'PDCC' button that lights up (right under Sport Plus button)? On PDCC cars that button will always be lit up? In that case why even have the extra button?
its arguably mislabeled, on PDCC equipped cars, it performs the same function as the "sport" PASM button on non-PDCC cars (where the button has a little "shock"/"strut" logo on it), i.e it places the suspension into its "Sports" mode... which changes the PASM response to make it more aggressive, and presumably with PDCC it performs a similar function.
Old 04-13-2015 | 03:38 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

I have it - it was already on the car when I bought it. I like the ride but I haven't driven a non-PDCC equipped 911 to compare it with.

So now I realize that I have nothing whatsoever to contribute to this thread...

Quick Reply: How important is Dynamic Chassis Control