Sponsored by:

New C4S w/ Factory Mistake

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2015, 09:24 PM
Jaws12
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 18 Posts
Default New C4S w/ Factory Mistake

Last week I purchased a 2015 C4S. It is my 10th 911 and my 1st in over 8 years.

I love the car and the advancements from the 997 are tremendous.

My car is PDK, JBM/Black, Glass Sunroof, Carrera S rims, Sport Chrono, Colored Crest Wheel Caps, Bose, Premium, ParkAssist fr/rr, Seat ventilation, Power Sport Seats (14 way) w/ memory, Sport Design Steering Wheel.

I noticed after i brought the car home that the passenger side rear brake rotor had a 1/3 inch perfectly symmetrical ring of rust around the inside edge. I called the dealer, of course they said that the rust will go away after driving and break-in.

I drove the car 100 miles and the rust ring was still there. I started inspecting the brakes and noticed that the brake pads on both rear wheels were different.

I drove over to the dealership and the tech met me right when I pulled up. He put the car on the lift, removed the wheels, inspected the brakes, and, sure enough, the outside pad on the passenger side rear was the wrong pad. It was a pad for a regular Carrera, not a C4S. This came from the factory like this. Tech has been with Porsche for 10 years and has never seen anything like that.

As they had no replacement pad in stock, they took a new pad off of the only other C4S that was in stock and attached the sensors. I drove 1 mile and checked the rotor, of course all rust gone. The proper pad was all that was needed.

I am pretty shocked that the car left the factory with that type of build mistake.

Very strange.
Old 04-12-2015, 09:51 PM
Homeles
Three Wheelin'

Received 131 Likes on 83 Posts

**** happens. If this is your only problem, consider yourself fortunate.
Old 04-12-2015, 09:54 PM
BlackBeauty
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 71 Posts

It's amazing, but stuff happens. I had a 2005 Boxster with inverted O2 sensors- just plugged in wrong at the factory. It's great you noticed. Only the U.S. Navy Nuclear fleet gets it right every time - they have procedures that require them to check the torque on a nut 145 times, of course Porsche could do this but at some point the cost of producing the car becomes prohibitive. What's great is - you figured it out before any damage and your tech was well trained and competent - so again, credit to you and Porsche.
Old 04-13-2015, 07:37 AM
sfo
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My Boxster 981S (one of the earliest) came with different door sills, "Boxster" one LH side, and "Boxster S" on RH side!
Old 04-13-2015, 09:00 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,398 Likes on 2,513 Posts

Why are you shocked? Why is this so strange to you? Your tech, in the bizz for 10 years, has never seen it before.

Does your company make 100% of its products/services accurate 100% of the time? On budget 100% of the time? Shipped complete 100% of the time? Arrives on time 100% of the time? Mine does not, although this is our goal, commitment to the customer and metrics we measure ourselves by.

Good on you for catching the error. Very observant. This serves you well.

Sent from my iPhone using Rennlist
Old 04-13-2015, 09:14 AM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 233 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by sfo
My Boxster 981S (one of the earliest) came with different door sills, "Boxster" one LH side, and "Boxster S" on RH side!
LOL, it's not unusual on the Wrangler forums to see photos of people whose Wranglers were delivered with painted fenders on one side and black plastic on the other. And it happens on both Saharas (which get painted fenders) and Sports (black plastic.) They make it all the way to the dealer.
Old 04-13-2015, 11:32 AM
MerlinsGarage
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Car companies are not 6 sigma.
Old 04-13-2015, 08:38 PM
MKW
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 35 Posts
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by LexVan
Why are you shocked? Why is this so strange to you? Your tech, in the bizz for 10 years, has never seen it before.

Does your company make 100% of its products/services accurate 100% of the time? On budget 100% of the time? Shipped complete 100% of the time? Arrives on time 100% of the time? Mine does not, although this is our goal, commitment to the customer and metrics we measure ourselves by.

Good on you for catching the error. Very observant. This serves you well.

Sent from my iPhone using Rennlist
And good on you for your frequent tidings of joy and best wishes to many an OP here . This serves us well !

Old 04-13-2015, 08:57 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Yeah that is one shocking mistake for sure. Not in terms of risk, just that it happened at all. I would think the pads are different enough anyone handling them would easily notice. Oh well.

The one mistake that sadly is not shocking is sales telling you it'll go away. As you noticed, rotor rust is gone pretty much the instant you tap the brakes. It should never be asymmetrical side to side. Whoever you talked with should have known better. Good for you having caught it early. Imagine if you never did, until one day they're changing pads and, oh, we need to replace the rotors too. Imagine how that would have gone down!
Old 04-14-2015, 03:05 PM
budrichard
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

This is what I suspect, car left Germany just fine. Dealer came up one S pad short, removed from your car and never put back.-Richard
Old 04-14-2015, 05:39 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Yes and the tech was right there waiting when he brought the car in. Because he knew! Happens all the time! Then they removed the pad from the C4S making it look good, see how far we go for our customers, when really that's where the problem started in the first place!

Might want to avoid taking the car in there for an oil change while someone else is in for a rebuild….
Old 04-14-2015, 08:38 PM
MKW
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by budrichard
This is what I suspect, car left Germany just fine. Dealer came up one S pad short, removed from your car and never put back.-Richard
the other more likely possibility is that something was damaged in transit or , say , a defective brake caliper seized up and a service tech at the port of entry PDI center , not the dealership , dropped the orig correct pad and damaged it , and hurriedly grabbed the wrong replacement one from the nearby bin . They fix most of the obvious stuff that that gets messed up in the long voyage , like paint damage , dings and dents , etc. .
I have read most of these POE prep centers are outsourced , so folks there work on cars of many brands ...Porsches this week , Hyundais next week ...whatever ship comes in.

Quick Reply: New C4S w/ Factory Mistake