Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Third day with the Porsche and I already have to take it in the shop?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2015, 06:08 PM
Marv800
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Third day with the Porsche and I already have to take it in the shop?!?!

What. The. Hell?

I was just driving on the freeway, nothing aggressive, and this fault pops up. Anyone have a clue what this could mean? Low on coolant? What's the normal operating temp for a Carrera S?
Old 04-12-2015, 07:01 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,401 Likes on 2,513 Posts

Relax. That's why you have a warranty. Your coolant temp is normal. Check your coolant cap to make sure tight.

Sent from my iPhone using Rennlist
Old 04-12-2015, 07:03 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,401 Likes on 2,513 Posts

Coolant temp per gauge tops out at 194 with normal street driving.

Sent from my iPhone using Rennlist
Old 04-12-2015, 07:08 PM
TheEngineer
Instructor

The normal coolant temp is 194.
Old 04-12-2015, 08:31 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

What year is your car? I think some owners of 991 have had issues with changeover valves failing. For some strange reason, I think you get the message you got when one of the valves fails, just not sure which one. Porsche apparently had a bad batch of those valves.

Not absolutely certain, but pretty sure that is the error message some of them got. Read post #10 in thread below.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/8002...-on-991-a.html
Old 04-12-2015, 09:03 PM
Swells991911
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

MY 2014 C2S just had this problem. First repair attempt was replacing a heater valve and with harness which i think there is a tech bulletin about and on the way home light came back on. The car went back again and they found a vacuum line boot leaking. The part is on backorder but they put a "band-aid" and fixed the vacuum leak. Good news is for me it never affecting any performance issues or any type of overheat situation. Hope this helps and maybe settles the nerves a bit. Still waiting for the new replacement line to come in but so far no coolant fault light back on.
Old 04-12-2015, 09:31 PM
Marv800
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GSIRM3
What year is your car? I think some owners of 991 have had issues with changeover valves failing. For some strange reason, I think you get the message you got when one of the valves fails, just not sure which one. Porsche apparently had a bad batch of those valves. Not absolutely certain, but pretty sure that is the error message some of them got. Read post #10 in thread below. https://rennlist.com/forums/991/8002...-on-991-a.html
Thanks for the information. My car is a 2014 with 9k miles
Old 04-12-2015, 10:44 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 835 Likes on 418 Posts

When I got that error message my heat stopped working.

If your heat doesn't work anymore let them know and it will cut down on diagnosis time tremendously. They will know which valve to go after.

Make sure you get a cool loner car.
Old 04-13-2015, 01:33 AM
pfan
Pro

Received 78 Likes on 46 Posts

The good news: most likely a simple fix by replacing a failed changeover valve.

The bad news: Porsche could care less that many owners continue to suffer these failures due to sub-standard parts.

Not a huge deal while the car is under warranty, but how about after?
Old 04-13-2015, 02:03 AM
johnireland
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Another example of electro-technical insanity. A mechanical temp gauge...and the ability to inspect your own coolant level...that is all any car needs. All these idiot lights and the sensors that go with them add nothing to the reliability of the car...they only create confusion and more reasons to flat bed the car back to the dealer.
Old 04-13-2015, 09:48 AM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Received 229 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by GSIRM3
Porsche apparently had a bad batch of those valves.
This is the kindest description I have seen of the issue.

A campaign to change all valves early on to generation two valves. Now on the fourth generation of valves. (Unless anyone has seen a newer version than the one with model number ending in "F"?)

But to OP, I had a valve go bad, w/ no error message. I also had a vacuum hose to a valve randomly pop off, which resulted in that exact message.
Old 04-13-2015, 11:28 AM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by fbroen
This is the kindest description I have seen of the issue.

A campaign to change all valves early on to generation two valves. Now on the fourth generation of valves. (Unless anyone has seen a newer version than the one with model number ending in "F"?)

But to OP, I had a valve go bad, w/ no error message. I also had a vacuum hose to a valve randomly pop off, which resulted in that exact message.
I agree that it is frustrating. I hope on my 2015 GTS that Porsche has finally got a part that works, at least for more than a few months. You would think that Porsche might have changed parts suppliers by now. These valve replacement repairs are costing them $$$, unless they are passing the cost on to the part supplier. The valves must be new to the 991 because I never had any fail on any of my three 997 cars.

But I did have a horn fail on each of my 997's. Unbelievable. I never had a horn fail on any car I have owned, regardless of price, except ALL three of my 997's. Then of course, there was the faulty clutch ignition lockout switch that failed in mass numbers.
Old 04-13-2015, 12:12 PM
cliffd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Replaced my changeover valve, in and out in a little over an hour.
Old 04-13-2015, 02:43 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by johnireland
Another example of electro-technical insanity. A mechanical temp gauge...and the ability to inspect your own coolant level...that is all any car needs. All these idiot lights and the sensors that go with them add nothing to the reliability of the car...they only create confusion and more reasons to flat bed the car back to the dealer.
So true. But this is all about what the regulators need. Regulators need a car that has air coming out the tailpipe cleaner than air going in the intake. Not just cleaner, this air has to be capable of reducing one specific atmospheric trace element to levels last seen during an Ice Age 50,000 years ago. Because, you know, that was such a paradise, hardly any humans driving around at all. And yes, I know it is THE SUN that determines 99.999…% of global temperature. Does not matter. What we need are valves and sensors and wires up the wazoo to regulate the temperature of everything and get it as fast as possible to whatever's perfect for NOT producing that BAD MOLECULE!

Manufacturers go along because they make the cars more expensive, there's more profits all around. Consumers go along because... sorry gotta go, Kim Kardashian on twitter….
Old 04-13-2015, 04:13 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,582 Likes on 2,331 Posts

over/under medicated again

Quick Reply: Third day with the Porsche and I already have to take it in the shop?!?!