Sponsored by:

disabling Power Steering Plus

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2015, 12:49 AM
JEI-Porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Default disabling Power Steering Plus

Has anyone been successful having Power Steering Plus disabled by a Porsche tech (or other tech)?

I checked with a friend of mine who works for Porsche. After running my VIN he said that he doesn't see an enabling code but that depending on the tester software it may be possible to code steering ecu to no have it.
Old 04-05-2015, 01:40 AM
David in Talent
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why do you want to disable it ? Glad that i did NOT order it :-))
Old 04-05-2015, 08:46 AM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by JEI-Porsche
Has anyone been successful having Power Steering Plus disabled by a Porsche tech (or other tech)?

I checked with a friend of mine who works for Porsche. After running my VIN he said that he doesn't see an enabling code but that depending on the tester software it may be possible to code steering ecu to no have it.
You can have dealer add it with software, so it seems like it could also be disabled with a software change.
Old 04-05-2015, 09:15 AM
Dcrna1
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've drivin both and chose to order it. Very subtle difference, but enough to make it worthwhile in my opinion.
Old 04-05-2015, 11:48 AM
JEI-Porsche
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by David in Talent
Why do you want to disable it ? Glad that i did NOT order it :-))
bought a used 991 GTS that came with the option. For me the steering is just too light. Driving it back to back to my '14 991S cab it's a very noticeable difference. When you look at dealer inventory, 95% of any 991GTS was ordered with it.
Old 04-05-2015, 11:58 AM
991TurboS
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

PSP is supposed to only be enabled at very low speed to reduce steering effort, like getting in or out of a parking space or turning the wheel while not moving, etc. It should not be noticeable at any speeds above 5 mph or so and any time above any very slow it should be indistinguishable from a non PSP car.

Is this not everyone's practical experience? I only notice it on my TTS when I am doing the above, like backing out of my garage or similar.
Old 04-05-2015, 02:46 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

PSP < 5mph, right. But there are other things that can make steering feel light. Brand new vs older tires for example are notoriously like that. Odds are its something like that being attributed to PSP. Or, they made the GTS steering significantly lighter and nobody else noticed. Place your bets.
Old 04-05-2015, 04:57 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

bought a used 991 GTS that came with the option. For me the steering is just too light. Driving it back to back to my '14 991S cab it's a very noticeable difference. When you look at dealer inventory, 95% of any 991GTS was ordered with it.
You bought a used 991 GTS? Boy, someone sure didn't keep that car very long. I haven't seen a GTS yet that has it, but I haven't seen more then 5 or 6. I don't have it on mine, and do not like it.
Old 04-05-2015, 06:52 PM
findtom
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 88 Posts

Having had both (with and without), I would not recommend having it. For me, PSP takes something away from the experience/feel.

I test drove a few cars with and without when I had my first 991 and was convinced PSP was a good idea. Now that I have lived with a car that doesn't have it, I would never order it again. Read into that what you will.....

But yes, it can be turned on and off by a dealer.
Old 04-05-2015, 11:14 PM
JEI-Porsche
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GSIRM3
You bought a used 991 GTS? Boy, someone sure didn't keep that car very long. I haven't seen a GTS yet that has it, but I haven't seen more then 5 or 6. I don't have it on mine, and do not like it.
Yes, found a 500m used loaded cab. Other than PSP it has all the options I was looking for. Let's hope PSP can be turned off. I'll bring the car by the dealer sometime late next week.
Old 04-06-2015, 09:43 AM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Yes, found a 500m used loaded cab. Other than PSP it has all the options I was looking for. Let's hope PSP can be turned off. I'll bring the car by the dealer sometime late next week.
As I mentioned in a previous post, PSP looks like it can be "added" with a software change, so it sure seems like it could be deleted. I am sure it will cost you some $$$, but maybe not too much. Here is a link to Suncoast Porsche part to ADD PSP.

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...=991SENGINEPER
Old 04-29-2016, 08:50 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 537 Likes on 282 Posts

Anyone have an update on turning PSP off at the dealer?
Mine is saying the 'old "can't be done, safety issue" which of course is illogical!
Old 04-29-2016, 09:23 PM
Stil_1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris C.
Anyone have an update on turning PSP off at the dealer?
Mine is saying the 'old "can't be done, safety issue" which of course is illogical!
I just had mine done at the dealer, was a simple affair. in PWIS, I think in steering module, uncheck the speed dependent power steering or something like that. It will pop up a warning that it will need a code to re-enable. save and let it do it's thing and viola, it's disabled.

Originally the dealer was looking for a specific "Power Steering Plus" option to disable and couldn't find it, then told me the story you mentioned. After asking another dealer how they did it, I relayed info and they were able to find the setting and disable.
Old 04-29-2016, 09:28 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,873 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Originally Posted by 991TurboS
PSP is supposed to only be enabled at very low speed to reduce steering effort, like getting in or out of a parking space or turning the wheel while not moving, etc. It should not be noticeable at any speeds above 5 mph or so and any time above any very slow it should be indistinguishable from a non PSP car. Is this not everyone's practical experience? I only notice it on my TTS when I am doing the above, like backing out of my garage or similar.
I believe the threshold where it is entirely off is around 20 mph, IIRC. That's about where I can tell the difference between my PSP and non PSP cars goes away. But it's progressive, so the big difference is around 5-10 mph.
Old 04-29-2016, 10:13 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 233 Likes on 125 Posts

I was one of the first people I know of to get rid of that son of a bitch. So happy without it...

Details:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/8778...-universe.html

Quick Reply: disabling Power Steering Plus