Sponsored by:

Changed order to GTS

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 11:48 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 233 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by fastdiablo
i believe i read on the PCNA website that the 5 lug optional wheels are narrower, which defeats the intent of the wide body, wide track GTS. I'm yet to hear a valid argument why a CL is a bad idea assuming there is a key in the frunk.
They are a half-inch narrower, but they also receive 5mm spacers (1/5") and then the tires are still the same 305s. I haven't seen one with 5-lugs sitting next to one with CLs to see if the eye can detect any differences in stance from these small differences, but it's possible. But I doubt you can, since the tires are still 305s out back.
Old 04-01-2015, 11:52 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 233 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by fastdiablo
I'm yet to hear a valid argument why a CL is a bad idea assuming there is a key in the frunk.
I'm not arguing against them (mine has them) but many people don't realize that it's not just a breaker bar you need -- it's a 3/4" drive torque wrench capable of imparting 450 lbs-ft (iirc) of torque, accurately. This is an expensive, bulky, cumbersome tool. Most setups that allow you to change your own wheels are in the 550-850 dollar range. It can't be assumed that Homer's Sinclair Fillin' Station in Hiram, Georgia is going to have one of these. Or a 305/30-20 P-Zero, for that matter.

But the complaints my GT3 friends have is that even good tire shops often don't understand how easy it is to screw the hubs up with the wrong amount of torque in either direction, and how narrow the allowable range is.
Old 04-02-2015, 12:05 AM
Holli82
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 23 Posts

Unless you track and change wheels and brakes several times a year, center locks are not an issue. Changing a CL wheel is not a big deal if you have the right tools and some mechanical dexterity. Most people who fear CL probably would never change their 5 lug either.
Old 04-02-2015, 03:00 PM
scorcherjf
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 18 Posts

Not only do you need a breaker bar and torque wrench good for ~600nm (and calibrated properly), you also need to apply grease to the proper locations each change, as well as following the instructions meticulously which I doubt many non Porsche shops will know. You also can't torque/break the bolts while the car's weight is on the wheel so it must be in the air which then requires someone to be standing on the brakes (2 man job, or get a reverse clamp). Also, once its torqued down, you need to break it free, then torque it again. All of this adds up to quite a hassle when you compare it to the 5 lug system and I don't really see what advantage you get with the CL besides aesthetics.

Lastly, every rotor change requires a new rotor assembly hardware kit (basically 5 nipples where the 5 lug points would normally be) which increases the cost of a brake job. There's also pages and pages of posts regarding CL failure on track as well as a heightened maintenance schedule for the wheel bearings and hubs for cars with CL that see track time. Given all of this, I don't see any positives to the street CL system so if it were my choice on a new GTS, I'd spec the trusty old 5 lug system. The cup car CL system, however, is a whole different story, which sadly doesn't share anything with the street CL system.
Old 04-02-2015, 03:39 PM
Dcrna1
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for sharing this information. Very helpful.

Quick Reply: Changed order to GTS