Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changed order to GTS

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2015 | 03:27 PM
Dcrna1
Advanced

Default Changed order to GTS

I just cancelled my order on the C2S Cabriolet and ordered a MY16 GTS. Dealer does not know if changes in option packages will be offered............does anyone know more details? Also, I am worried about the centerlock wheels. If my wife and I were on a trip and have a flat, the local tire shops surely would not be able to fix. Thoughts?
Old 04-01-2015 | 03:30 PM
David in Talent
Racer

You can opt for the 5 lug nut S wheel instead of the centerlocks. MUCH more user friendly and practical. I will go that route....
Old 04-01-2015 | 03:34 PM
Dcrna1
Advanced

Thats what I am thinking also.
Old 04-01-2015 | 03:50 PM
77tony
Rennlist Member

The 20" 5 lugs come standard with the Turbo and the Turbo S center locks are a $ 3835 option. Maybe someone here who would be willing to swap there 5 lugs (in the style you prefer) for your GTS center locks and pick up a few $ This would be more than just swapping the wheels. Would this be beneficial for both parties ? T
Old 04-01-2015 | 03:55 PM
David in Talent
Racer

77tony---Only flaw in going that route is that you will have to change out the hubs to convert to 5 lug after you sell the centerlocks. How much will THAT cost ?
Old 04-01-2015 | 04:02 PM
77tony
Rennlist Member

David, I must have edited that in while you were typing. Approx $ 3800 goes a long way and still might be worth it. Both parties would get what they want and same some $ after all is said and done. Has anyone here made a similar swap ? T
Old 04-01-2015 | 04:08 PM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Dcrna1
If my wife and I were on a trip and have a flat, the local tire shops surely would not be able to fix. Thoughts?
I kept the more pure GTS style with the CLs. The way I thought of it was that if I was in the middle of no where and the local tire shop couldn't remove a CL wheel (which is likely), they also would not have the necessary tire replacement. So one way or the other, the car's going to be flat-bedded somewhere else.

My $0.02.
Old 04-01-2015 | 04:12 PM
Axxlrod
Instructor

Why is everyone so scared of the CL wheels? They complete the GTS look.

The car comes with a CL key in the frunk. Any tire store will have a breaker bar and tire wrench. What's the problem here?

Availability of the tire will be more of a problem than getting the wheel off. These cars don't come with spares anyway.
Old 04-01-2015 | 04:23 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Originally Posted by Axxlrod

The car comes with a CL key in the frunk. Any tire store will have a breaker bar and tire wrench. What's the problem here?

Availability of the tire will be more of a problem than getting the wheel off. These cars don't come with spares anyway.
I agree. I had CL wheels for 3.5 years on my 997 GTS and got them again on my 991 GTS. Never had any issues with them.
Old 04-01-2015 | 04:23 PM
Dcrna1
Advanced

Guess I have read too many nightmare stories on this forum............many who have them say that they would not get them again.
Old 04-01-2015 | 04:24 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Originally Posted by 77tony
The 20" 5 lugs come standard with the Turbo and the Turbo S center locks are a $ 3835 option. Maybe someone here who would be willing to swap there 5 lugs (in the style you prefer) for your GTS center locks and pick up a few $ This would be more than just swapping the wheels. Would this be beneficial for both parties ? T
I don't think the offsets are the same on the Turbo wheels and the GTS wheels. And as others have said, you would still need to change the hubs also.
Old 04-01-2015 | 04:57 PM
Dcrna1
Advanced

They are indeed different offsets
Old 04-01-2015 | 04:58 PM
77tony
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hinckley
I kept the more pure GTS style with the CLs. The way I thought of it was that if I was in the middle of no where and the local tire shop couldn't remove a CL wheel (which is likely), they also would not have the necessary tire replacement. So one way or the other, the car's going to be flat-bedded somewhere else.

My $0.02.
Good point
Originally Posted by Axxlrod

Another good point
Originally Posted by GSIRM3
I don't think the offsets are the same on the Turbo wheels and the GTS wheels. And as others have said, you would still need to change the hubs also.
A little lazy on my part not looking up part #'s, offsets, etc. Was using the approximate up charge of 5 lug to the center lock wheels, hubs, etc when ordering on a Turbo. IIRC there are no other 991 variants that come standard with 5 lugs that you can option with center locks. T
Old 04-01-2015 | 07:10 PM
Axxlrod
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dcrna1
Guess I have read too many nightmare stories on this forum............many who have them say that they would not get them again.
I can understand owners that require the use of different sets of wheels/tires not wanting them. For instance, people that live in snow climates and need to put on snow tires for the winter or track rats that need to be able to quickly put on new track wheels/tires, etc...

But for the rest of us that have no need for other sets of wheels, I think the CL's are great. They really make the car stand out.

My 2c.
Old 04-01-2015 | 10:57 PM
fastdiablo
Burning Brakes

i believe i read on the PCNA website that the 5 lug optional wheels are narrower, which defeats the intent of the wide body, wide track GTS. I'm yet to hear a valid argument why a CL is a bad idea assuming there is a key in the frunk.

Quick Reply: Changed order to GTS