Sponsored by:

Introduction/GTS build

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 03:23 PM
pauliekeys
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Introduction/GTS build

Thought it was time to introduce myself to the forum after spending a couple months learning how others have ordered their cars. I'm planning on putting in an order sometime this spring/summer and would love any feed back on my build. I'd appreciate any thought's on other options too consider!

Here is the code for the build.
www.porsche-code.com/PGVMHPD8

In the build I optioned the wheels painted in body color only to include the cost of that option. I'd like to order the wheels in Agate grey metallic or a gloss black if allowed. Otherwise, I'd order the wheels in silver.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by pauliekeys; 03-30-2015 at 02:55 AM.
Old 03-30-2015, 02:24 PM
shandyman5
Advanced

If it is not a track car I would get CL's especially since there is no cost difference. Great build!
Old 03-30-2015, 04:03 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 233 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by shandyman5
If it is not a track car I would get CL's especially since there is no cost difference. Great build!
Most of us add the free passenger footwell cargo net and the free "smokers package" which gets you an outlet at the back of the console, covered by a door, instead of the open cubby back there.

Funny how wildly different our builds are, yet they are within $80 of each other. I went with an expensive color (GT), a 2-tone leather interior, SPASM, PDK, no sunroof, CLs, 14-way seats, Bose, Power Steering Plus, ducktail, Park assist with no camera, regular key (not keyless start). But it all balanced out in the end to basically the same price.
Old 03-30-2015, 04:54 PM
pauliekeys
8th Gear

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
Most of us add the free passenger footwell cargo net and the free "smokers package" which gets you an outlet at the back of the console, covered by a door, instead of the open cubby back there.

Funny how wildly different our builds are, yet they are within $80 of each other. I went with an expensive color (GT), a 2-tone leather interior, SPASM, PDK, no sunroof, CLs, 14-way seats, Bose, Power Steering Plus, ducktail, Park assist with no camera, regular key (not keyless start). But it all balanced out in the end to basically the same price.
NoGaBiker, you caught two of the options that I forgot to add in the build. (foot well cargo net and smokers package. What is the difference between "SPASM" an "PASM"? I chose PASM.

Shandyman 5, I love the design and look of the CL's, but Still, I'd prefer (if possible) to have the Carrara S wheels in Agate Grey metallic, or black. I like that they have a contrasting silver lip color rather than a slolid color! Heck, if I could have it my way, I'd choose the 911 4S 20" SportTechno designed wheels. I really like that design!
Old 03-30-2015, 05:13 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 233 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by pauliekeys
NoGaBiker, you caught two of the options that I forgot to add in the build. (foot well cargo net and smokers package. What is the difference between "SPASM" an "PASM"? I chose PASM.

Shandyman 5, I love the design and look of the CL's, but Still, I'd prefer (if possible) to have the Carrara S wheels in Agate Grey metallic, or black. I like that they have a contrasting silver lip color rather than a slolid color! Heck, if I could have it my way, I'd choose the 911 4S 20" SportTechno designed wheels. I really like that design!
SPASM (PASM Sport) and PASM are identical electronically. Sport adds old-fashioned shorter, stiffer springs to bring about a 10mm decrease in static ride height, and a slightly stiffer ride, although the latter wasn't detectable to me in back-to-back test drives in new 991S for me. But it looks a little better. Get your exterior 3/4 view on the screen, then check and uncheck the option -- it will raise and lower the image accordingly.

And hey, we're on the same page about wheels. I (somewhat begrudgingly) kept the CLs on my order (non-track car) because:

1) they're "free" on the GTS but a $3000 upgrade on a Turbo to go from 5-lug to CL. If they were offering to give us the $3k back (that's already baked into the price, no doubt), I'd have considered it. But then they have the gall to keep the $3000-extra wheels, and then CHARGE you 700 bucks to slap a coat of paint on the $3000-cheaper 5-lugs!

2) I really have never warmed to all black. I know it's the designator of Top-O-The-Line-Badass-Car amongst everybody from BMW to Lamborghini. But my eye still sees Can-O-Plasti-Coat-Sprayed-On-Steelies on a Civic that's on its 7th owner. But, I rationalized this by saying I can always have them painted by a high-end bodyshop near me -- I've seen their wheel work and it's flawless. I could go with a lighter (but still dark) tungsten or titanium color, satin or glossy. Or leave the centers as is and paint the lip, or the lip and faces of the centers, ala same application on a Turbo S (only not so polished looking). Or I could swap them for a set of HREs at Butler Tire. So I'm gonna live with them a little, and if they continue to bother me, I'll just change them.

3) I love the Sport Technos also! Beautiful wheel. I would have opted for the partially-painted 20" STs if that were an option. Or the Sport Classics (faux-Fuchs from 911/50) even moreso.
Old 03-31-2015, 12:01 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

If I were ordering a GTS, I would have done much the same as you did by a) deleting the alcantara, b) eliminating the B-B-Q grill on the rear deck lip by getting the duck tail and c) eliminating the black aluminum package and replacing it with the brushed aluminum, and d) not getting the black CL wheels.

My goal would be to eliminate as much of the "black GTS" crap Porsche has loaded on this model, which IMO, makes it look like a "leftover parts bin" car.

Good job of not drinking the Porsche cool-aide!
Old 03-31-2015, 02:20 PM
fastdiablo
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by gota911
If I were ordering a GTS, I would have done much the same as you did by a) deleting the alcantara, b) eliminating the B-B-Q grill on the rear deck lip by getting the duck tail and c) eliminating the black aluminum package and replacing it with the brushed aluminum, and d) not getting the black CL wheels.

My goal would be to eliminate as much of the "black GTS" crap Porsche has loaded on this model, which IMO, makes it look like a "leftover parts bin" car.

Good job of not drinking the Porsche cool-aide!
In light of this, why would you ever order a GTS? after all your hypothetical changes, aren't you just spec'ing a C2S?
Old 03-31-2015, 03:52 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by fastdiablo
In light of this, why would you ever order a GTS? after all your hypothetical changes, aren't you just spec'ing a C2S?
Obviously, you haven't done a comparative analysis between the two versions.

While I would not have included a few of the items the OP has on his car, like the wheels painted white, Burmester, or the glass sunroof, I specked a C2S exactly like the PO's GTS, Below is what I came up with.
  • Without the Powerkit on the C2S, the C2S would be $8,715 LESS than the GTS. No big surprise here.
  • However, if you wanted a Powerkit, then a C2S with a Powerkit would be $9,085 MORE than the GTS.
Below is the detailed cost comparison of a C2S with Powerkit versus a GTS. The one thing you get with the GTS that you can't get with the C2S and ANY price is the wide body.
Attached Images  
Old 03-31-2015, 08:29 PM
pauliekeys
8th Gear

Originally Posted by gota911
Obviously, you haven't done a comparative analysis between the two versions.

While I would not have included a few of the items the OP has on his car, like the wheels painted white, Burmester, or the glass sunroof, I specked a C2S exactly like the PO's GTS, Below is what I came up with.
  • Without the Powerkit on the C2S, the C2S would be $8,715 LESS than the GTS. No big surprise here.
  • However, if you wanted a Powerkit, then a C2S with a Powerkit would be $9,085 MORE than the GTS.
Below is the detailed cost comparison of a C2S with Powerkit versus a GTS. The one thing you get with the GTS that you can't get with the C2S and ANY price is the wide body.
Thanks for the comments!

Since making the decision to move forward with the purchase of a 911,I've never considered buying a C2's. Always had my eye on the GTS! I absolutely love the look of the wide body on the GTS, and I'll aways want extra ponies!

I've changed the configuration going with the Carrera S wheels in black until I can find out if I can change a white color for a black or Agate Grey. And I've included the two free options of smoking package and passenger foot well netting as well as changing (for now) the 18 way seats for 14 way. More thought plus some seat time needed for that! The rest stay's the same for now!

www.porsche-code.com/PGX36Q69

Last edited by pauliekeys; 04-01-2015 at 12:28 AM.

Quick Reply: Introduction/GTS build