Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ordering a 911 GTS. Good idea for first timer?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2015, 11:12 PM
shaytun
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
If the above is true, then get a 991 GT3. A used one, if need be.
Ultimately if no MT then GT3 is probably not an option for many.
Old 03-28-2015, 11:16 PM
gmaki
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I would have no problem with a GT3. If I felt it was within my means, and that I could find one for sale.. I would make due with the PDK. To me the GT3 is an almost unquestionable classic. Not to mention how awesome it would be to track it.

I just feel the GT3 is most likely out of my reach.
Old 03-28-2015, 11:38 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,718 Likes on 5,120 Posts

Originally Posted by gmaki
I would have no problem with a GT3. If I felt it was within my means, and that I could find one for sale.. I would make due with the PDK. To me the GT3 is an almost unquestionable classic. Not to mention how awesome it would be to track it.

I just feel the GT3 is most likely out of my reach.
I think anything you save in purchase price with the GTS will be lost in resale value. Rather quickly.

Take a look around. There are quite a few used GT3s that have never seen track time. And probably more to come as those on RS wait lists get their allocation phone call.
Old 03-28-2015, 11:51 PM
gmaki
Burning Brakes

That is something to think about for sure. It changes my whole strategy as I would definitely have to wait until my wife was working before even starting the process. It would be worth it if I came out of it in the end with a GT3 I could hang on to though.
Old 03-28-2015, 11:55 PM
ggreg911
Racer

Received 211 Likes on 89 Posts

For the way you plan to use the car, get a GT3. GT3 is a special car...GTS is a parts bin special.
Old 03-29-2015, 12:07 AM
gmaki
Burning Brakes

I'd snap this one up right now if I could.

https://autogallery.porschedealer.co...69291/info.php

But I just can't do that right now. And that car won't still be sitting there in 4 months.
Old 03-29-2015, 12:15 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I'd snap this one up right now if I could.

https://autogallery.porschedealer.co...69291/info.php

But I just can't do that right now. And that car won't still be sitting there in 4 months.
Then wait 4 months.

In 4 months there will be still various GT3s to choose from.

Plus, if you spec'd out a GTS it's not like you're going to drive it off the lot tomorrow, right?

Whatever you do, think it through thoroughly before acting. Last thing you want to do is buy one car and dream about having another.

Good luck.
Old 03-29-2015, 12:23 AM
gmaki
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Then wait 4 months.

In 4 months there will be still various GT3s to choose from.

Plus, if you spec'd out a GTS it's not like you're going to drive it off the lot tomorrow, right?

Whatever you do, think it through thoroughly before acting. Last thing you want to do is buy one car and dream about having another.

Good luck.
Correct. I ALMOST drove the GTS off the lot on Friday but that would have been a mistake. So yeah I am going to wait a few months regardless at this point while the car is built and shipped.

I guess the questions is how certain is it there will be GT3's on the lot in 4 months. I thought they had all been built and sold (although the two at my local dealer pretty much disproves that).
Old 03-29-2015, 12:40 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Correct. I ALMOST drove the GTS off the lot on Friday but that would have been a mistake. So yeah I am going to wait a few months regardless at this point while the car is built and shipped.

I guess the questions is how certain is it there will be GT3's on the lot in 4 months. I thought they had all been built and sold (although the two at my local dealer pretty much disproves that).
Peruse the GT3 board.

Lots of cars floating around. New and used.

I'd imagine the situation will be no different come summer, and may improve (for the used market) when deliveries of the first RSs take place (around Sept).
Old 03-29-2015, 01:53 AM
Matt-R20
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 59 Posts

Once the RS's start to appear, regular GT3's will be around.
Old 03-29-2015, 04:11 AM
shaytun
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I agree with the increases availability of GT3s. However, they will still be very pricey compared to the OPs build. Obviously if that is within the budget and he doesn't mind PDK then that is the way to go. 911s are such a slippery slope. If the GT3 was available in a manual and be on that slope head first
Old 03-29-2015, 09:26 AM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 233 Likes on 125 Posts

Pretty much every GTS build I've seen has been higher than 130k, which is GT3 price. Since OP's use is clearly GT3-friendly (mine's not or that's what I'd have), seems like finding a low-option, used GT3 would be the clear and obvious choice, and could be bought for GTS money. Particularly if you're in a state that doesn't tax private sales, you'd save 10k in taxes buying a GT3 from a private party rather than a GTS from a dealer.
Old 03-29-2015, 09:33 AM
trysixty
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I will keep it to very low mileage. I would expect to track it 6 times a year at most, and then take it out for special occasions or for a fun drive from time to time. I will keep it under 5,000 miles/yr for sure. So I don't really care about any of the comfort options at all.
Lofty goals. You either work too much or live in Alaska. Every time you see that car in the garage on a beautiful day you are going to cheat. And every time you and the significant other are out for a ride you are going to wish you would of ordered some of the comforts options
Old 03-29-2015, 09:52 AM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
Pretty much every GTS build I've seen has been higher than 130k, which is GT3 price. Since OP's use is clearly GT3-friendly (mine's not or that's what I'd have), seems like finding a low-option, used GT3 would be the clear and obvious choice, and could be bought for GTS money. Particularly if you're in a state that doesn't tax private sales, you'd save 10k in taxes buying a GT3 from a private party rather than a GTS from a dealer.
Would you mind telling us what states do not charge sales tax please?
Old 03-29-2015, 10:19 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Right now you won't find a used GT3 under 155K. Guys are trying to ask sticker or above with cars from 500-2K mikes. That will soften. What they're asking, and getting are two different things. I see those sitting and not moving.

The guys who want to sell them are going under sticker price. If you can swing it, get one. Best option if it's not going to be a daily as you described.

The used market on them will be plentiful later this year. It's already starting.

The dealers with new ones still are asking 20K plus over sticker. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Ordering a 911 GTS. Good idea for first timer?