Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tequipment Battery Charger

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2015, 11:58 AM
woodranch
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 18 Posts

I will try it again when I get home. I have to adapter pushed in as far as it will go. What happens is the maintenance indicator lights up solid and the charge indicator flashes rapidly at the same time. It does not talk about that in the manual. The car is a 2013 and just got CPOed so I know the battery is okay but wondering about the charger. I will return this charger and buy a new one and see what happens.Thanks again to all for there help!

Last edited by woodranch; 03-21-2015 at 12:43 PM.
Old 03-21-2015, 12:45 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,233 Likes on 745 Posts

I don't have the Tequipment but the Battery Tender. It has two lights, a red and a green. Solid red means it is charging, blinking green means battery is at 80%, solid green means battery is fully charged. Red blinking light means something is wrong. In the beginning I would get blinking reds and could not figure out why. One day I connected the Tender and locked the car door and it worked - solid red. Try locking your doors and see what happens.
Old 03-21-2015, 12:48 PM
woodranch
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 18 Posts

Thanks, when I get the new one I will try it.Already sent the other one back this morning.
Old 03-21-2015, 02:51 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by woodranch
I will try it again when I get home. I have to adapter pushed in as far as it will go. What happens is the maintenance indicator lights up solid and the charge indicator flashes rapidly at the same time. It does not talk about that in the manual. The car is a 2013 and just got CPOed so I know the battery is okay but wondering about the charger. I will return this charger and buy a new one and see what happens.Thanks again to all for there help!
The Porsche Dual Mode (same as CTEK 3300) 12V socket adapter plug has two, flimsy black tabs about 0.25 in long on either side of the plug, 180 degrees apart, and near the end of the plug. These tabs break off very easily. I had them break off on two of the chargers and got the chargers replaced for free at my dealer under warranty. The charger and the adapter plug will still work, but I didn't like it that they broke off so soon after buying the charger. One of the tabs also broke off on my third charger, but after that, I just said screw it and just kept using it.

When those tabs break off, they have a nasty habit of falling down in the bottom of the 12V socket. If that happens, many times your adapter plug will not get a good connection because of the broken plastic tab in the bottom of the socket. So, take a look at the adapter plug on your charger and look for those two plastic tabs. They are pretty much flush with the outer edge of the adapter plug, and near the end of it, but are located on the sides of the plug, 180 degrees apart. If yours are broken of, you will be able to see the metal part of the adapter plug through the hole left where the tab used to be. If one or both of yours is broken off, look in the 12V socket and see if you see it. If so, that is could be your problem.

If the broken tab is in your socket, don't stick anything metal down in there or you will blow your fuse for that circuit. Use something plastic, maybe with a piece of tape on it to see if you can retrieve it.
Old 05-26-2016, 03:25 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

The lights that show full battery or half battery levels went out on mine. I know it rotates back/forth as it goes through charging cycles.

With these lights out, could that function not be working now, and risk overcharging?

This happened to anyone?
Old 06-19-2016, 10:44 PM
abokor
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 58 Posts

I'm curious if the OP ever determined the issue. I am experiencing the same (sold green for full battery light and simultaneous flashing orange light for half battery light).

I'm using the passenger footwell 12v socket. No smoking package. Is this Ok? Older posts say this socket should not be used - but can't find anything in my manual.

12v charger plug is not broken. When i disconnect the 12v plug to the passenger footwell socket, it resets the battery charger lights for a period of time (orange half battery light is lit), only to return to the condition described in the original post after a period of time.

Battery tender is older (2002 era). Battery is new - 2015 991. Voltage reads ~14 on MF display (which I believe is normal).

Trying to determine if the battery maintainer is going bad and needs to be replaced - or maybe something else is at play - like wrong socket??
Old 06-19-2016, 10:56 PM
Al.Fresco
Three Wheelin'

Received 332 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by abokor
I'm curious if the OP ever determined the issue. I am experiencing the same (sold green for full battery light and simultaneous flashing orange light for half battery light).

I'm using the passenger footwell 12v socket. No smoking package. Is this Ok? Older posts say this socket should not be used - but can't find anything in my manual.

12v charger plug is not broken. When i disconnect the 12v plug to the passenger footwell socket, it resets the battery charger lights for a period of time (orange half battery light is lit), only to return to the condition described in the original post after a period of time.

Battery tender is older (2002 era). Battery is new - 2015 991. Voltage reads ~14 on MF display (which I believe is normal).

Trying to determine if the battery maintainer is going bad and needs to be replaced - or maybe something else is at play - like wrong socket??
Several posts in various threads had noted that many newer 991's have sockets that turn off after 30 mins or less, even when tender is charging through them. I had the same issue on my '14 and after several attempts in different sockets, I just connected directly to the battery and it worked like a charm.
Old 06-19-2016, 11:03 PM
abokor
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 58 Posts

Sorry - went back and read the thread more carefully. Looks like OP said the plug wasn't seated. I wonder if that means my plug is shot or the socket is screwed up.
Old 06-20-2016, 10:19 AM
RobC4sX51
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
The lights that show full battery or half battery levels went out on mine. I know it rotates back/forth as it goes through charging cycles.

With these lights out, could that function not be working now, and risk overcharging?

This happened to anyone?
George, for $100 from SunC why not replace the tender if the lights are not working? Peace of mind! On another note re charger function, mine will take hours or even a day (as Lex said) to get to full (green) and then it will cycle between orange (some say yellow) charging light for awhile (hour or two) then back to green (charged). All normal. And mine has been on the car for our 2 week vacation to Germany (more on that on a new topic post soon), and now I'm flying all week so another week on the charger! But when I get home, I'm taking the C4s out for some much needed exercise (for both of us)!
Old 09-16-2018, 10:32 AM
Aviaros21
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi guys. Bringing up and old thread but could use help.
just got the charge o mat, and using it through the 12v socket in the center console box (panamera 2018)
have the maintenance light constant green, and the light to the left is flashing orange.
Is it decided that this isn’t right and not working? I need to decide quickly as I am leaving on a trip soon.
Thanks!
Old 09-16-2018, 11:14 AM
cpbmd
Burning Brakes

Received 214 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by woodranch
Anyone that can help here? I have plugged and re plugged the adapter into the cigarette lighter so I know it is connected right. Anyone else know if the pulsing orange light is normal. Thanks
please post a pic of the charger. The orange light should not flash.
Old 09-16-2018, 11:22 AM
Aviaros21
Advanced

Attached. Thanks

Nvm. Attachments not uploading.

Last edited by Aviaros21; 09-16-2018 at 12:06 PM.
Old 09-16-2018, 11:40 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 674 Likes on 359 Posts

Edit: I'm changing my answer!

Here's an option stated in the manual for the charge-o-mat. When you plugged it in, had the car just been running or had it been sitting a while?

Apparently the car keeps the port alive if the charger is found to be connected. Otherwise it disconnects and can't be used for charging until the port is activated again. Here is the section from the charger manual:

2.Vehicle socket has been deactivated (max 30 minutes).

The vehicle's 12V sockets are deactivated if no charge is applied for 30 minutes to protect the vehicle battery.
• Turn vehicle ignition on and off once before charging if the ignition has been turned off for more than 30 minutes.
• Switch on the vehicle ignition once after the charger has been disconnected for more than 30 minutes, e.g. through a power cut.

Last edited by StormRune; 09-16-2018 at 11:56 AM.
Old 09-16-2018, 12:21 PM
Aviaros21
Advanced

Thanks. Just went on a coffee run. The orange middle light is solid. There is No green light lit.
Hope this is it! And just needed a little ignition as u stated

edit. 30min later it’s back to flashing orange and steady green.

Last edited by Aviaros21; 09-16-2018 at 01:10 PM.
Old 09-16-2018, 03:35 PM
Aviaros21
Advanced

Darn....tried the trunks 12v socket too. No luck. Bummer

Quick Reply: Tequipment Battery Charger