Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you use the Sport Chrono on your 991S?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2015, 12:02 AM
gruve
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you use the Sport Chrono on your 991S?

I think the Sport Chrono Plus option is a "must have" for 997.2S PDK cars. I put my 997.2S Cab in Sport mode just about every time I drive it for the sportier shifting. But I never really use Sport Plus mode -- I find it too "aggressive" for regular driving.

So I am wondering about the 991S, which comes standard with the Sport button, but not Sport Plus unless you get the Sport Chrono option. (As I understand it, Sport Chrono also gets dynamic engine mounts on the 991.)

I'm curious how many and how frequently people use the Sport Plus mode for their day-to-day (non-track) driving? I'm thinking I probably wouldn't miss not having it on a 991S w/PSE, but I'm interested in hearing other opinions on it. I am pretty sure I won't miss the wart!
Old 03-12-2015, 12:45 AM
beaverlake
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

I have a C2s cabs/PDK and I use sport plus about 40% of the time but always in manual mode. The exception to that is if I'm on back roads doing some spirited driving and even then it's usually in manual mode.
Old 03-12-2015, 02:41 AM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 129 Posts

What Beaver said ^^^.

Damn, I've been wanting to say that for a while. Lol.

I have an S, PDK, PSE & Chrono.

I wouldn't have it any other way. I'd give all of my other options up in my car including the stereo/Nav if it was those 3 or the other.

Once my cars coolant is at least 185 and the oil 160 deg. F. I hit Sport. And leave it in auto. In the S with PSE, the PSE comes on when you select Sport or Sport +.

I drive most of the time in Sport auto. W/PSE on of course. I still override the PDK with the paddles all the time in auto. The only time I drive the car without the PSE on is when I'm pulling into my neighborhood or when passing a cop.

If I select manual, I'm in Sport + exclusively. It shifts harder and faster than Sport in manual. Have only used launch control maybe 4 or 5 times and only then to give a friend or one of my nephews a rush. Don't let anyone tell you they can tell the difference with the dynamic engine mounts that come standard on the S. You can't & I've driven many base Carreras. When u select Sport + the suspension comes on also. You know what I mean.

Just buy what makes you happy and you'll love it!
Old 03-12-2015, 02:48 AM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 129 Posts

Sorry.

Forgot to add Sport + like all others have said is a monster in auto. Almost completely un usable on the street around town. It holds the gears all the way to redline in every gear. I don't use this car at the track which is a shame but that's where Chrono in Auto shines. The GT3 with the PDK -S is fastest around the track in Auto.

I do use Sport + in auto occasionally when entering the freeway (highway) for those outside Kalifornia. Once up to speed which isn't long I go to Sport and leave it there.

I know the car gets slightly better gas mileage on the highway in auto without Sport selected but it just bothers me watching the oil temp creep up to sometimes 230 deg. F. In Sport in 7th gear the oil stays down around 198-205 ish.
Old 03-12-2015, 01:23 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,604 Likes on 2,343 Posts

Originally Posted by MarcusG
Sorry.

Forgot to add Sport + like all others have said is a monster in auto. Almost completely un usable on the street around town. It holds the gears all the way to redline in every gear. I don't use this car at the track which is a shame but that's where Chrono in Auto shines. The GT3 with the PDK -S is fastest around the track in Auto.

I do use Sport + in auto occasionally when entering the freeway (highway) for those outside Kalifornia. Once up to speed which isn't long I go to Sport and leave it there.

I know the car gets slightly better gas mileage on the highway in auto without Sport selected but it just bothers me watching the oil temp creep up to sometimes 230 deg. F. In Sport in 7th gear the oil stays down around 198-205 ish.
maybe a 3rd radiator would solve that problem?
Old 03-12-2015, 04:53 PM
7and911
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think it is about 3rd radiator. It is just the engine dyanamic, normal gear will have higher oil temp to save fuel, sport gear will have lower oil temp in order to give room for spirited driving and allow for increase in RPM/temp
Old 03-12-2015, 05:20 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 7and911
I don't think it is about 3rd radiator. It is just the engine dyanamic, normal gear will have higher oil temp to save fuel, sport gear will have lower oil temp in order to give room for spirited driving and allow for increase in RPM/temp
interesting, so you are saying that the oil cooling rate etc is varied according to program, I guess I never thought of it functioning like that.
Old 03-12-2015, 05:23 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gruve
I think the Sport Chrono Plus option is a "must have" for 997.2S PDK cars. I put my 997.2S Cab in Sport mode just about every time I drive it for the sportier shifting. But I never really use Sport Plus mode -- I find it too "aggressive" for regular driving.

So I am wondering about the 991S, which comes standard with the Sport button, but not Sport Plus unless you get the Sport Chrono option. (As I understand it, Sport Chrono also gets dynamic engine mounts on the 991.)

I'm curious how many and how frequently people use the Sport Plus mode for their day-to-day (non-track) driving? I'm thinking I probably wouldn't miss not having it on a 991S w/PSE, but I'm interested in hearing other opinions on it. I am pretty sure I won't miss the wart!
most people HATE the wart, I dont know why Porsche dont eliminate it, simplify the dash construction, and move any timing functions into the dash MFD ...
Old 03-12-2015, 05:24 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
most people HATE the wart, I dont know why Porsche dont eliminate it, simplify the dash construction, and move any timing functions into the dash MFD ...
I like it personally!

It looks too plain and flat without it I think!

I guess I'm in the minority.
Old 03-12-2015, 05:26 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MarcusG
Sorry.

Oh Joy! - this is a feature not a bug to me ... I HATE the STEPTronic in my BMW so much because it short shifts gears WAY to early (even in sport mode) the only way to circumvent is go manual...
Old 03-12-2015, 06:54 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by STG991
I like it personally!

its a bit like a ducktail on a cabriolet!
Old 03-12-2015, 09:02 PM
maxpowers
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a 991 C4S with the manual and did not get the sport chrono because of the wart. If the giant clock was better integrated (like with the Cayman) I would have ordered it for the mounts and throttle blip because I'm planning to track the car and still have a lot to learn. On public roads the "sport" button is definitely more than enough. I shift when I want to shift and go to the gear I want. No worrying about a computer holding the gear or deciding to shift.
Old 03-12-2015, 10:03 PM
trysixty
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I like it personally! It looks too plain and flat without it I think! I guess I'm in the minority.
I'm in the minority with you....I don't track my car but have used the SC on several secluded driving courses ranging from 10-70 miles (no lights, couple stop signs). The wart on the dash and PCM display really impress passengers....... almost as much as the sound of the wind whipping through the cab and fish tailing over the ducktail. It's called PSE+
Old 03-12-2015, 11:13 PM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

I like it personally!

Count me in as a Sport Chrono lover, too. And for the same reasons.
Old 03-12-2015, 11:21 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by trysixty
I'm in the minority with you....I don't track my car but have used the SC on several secluded driving courses ranging from 10-70 miles (no lights, couple stop signs). The wart on the dash and PCM display really impress passengers....... almost as much as the sound of the wind whipping through the cab and fish tailing over the ducktail. It's called PSE+
From all your pics, it seems to attract the ladies too!

I think it should be referred to as a dash "bulge" instead of "wart".

Last edited by STG; 03-12-2015 at 11:46 PM.

Quick Reply: Do you use the Sport Chrono on your 991S?