Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you use the Sport Chrono on your 991S?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2015, 11:22 PM
Dubloh7
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

MarcusG
You just described my personal experience with my car...same set up as yours.....
I feel violated........ Lol
Glad to know the feeling is shared by others.
Its a very nice experience.
Old 03-13-2015, 09:25 AM
Grunty
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't get how anyone could use sport plus on a pdk car outside of a track.
In my experience, it shifts at approximately redline. Which means that you will never get out of first gear in most driving situations. One caveat is manual mode with the pdk.
Old 03-13-2015, 10:59 AM
Cheekymonkeyman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BradB
Count me in as a Sport Chrono lover, too. And for the same reasons.
+1.... it was an exorbitant 'must have' since I first sat in the car in the showroom as a 911 Virgin.
Old 03-13-2015, 11:10 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by Cheekymonkeyman
+1.... it was an exorbitant 'must have' since I first sat in the car in the showroom as a 911 Virgin.
When I was looking for used cars, I didn't even consider one that didn't have the option.

If anything, it's a pretty inexpensive option, and probably one of the top 5 things for resale.

Just saying!!!
Old 03-13-2015, 11:13 AM
Cheekymonkeyman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by STG991
When I was looking for used cars, I didn't even consider one that didn't have the option. If anything, it's a pretty inexpensive option, and probably one of the top 5 things for resale. Just saying!!!
That's what I keep telling myself... Resale value... Resale value... Denial? Me? No ! Lol
Old 03-13-2015, 11:38 AM
Dalema
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm typically in Sport during driving and 95% of the time in PDK manual using the paddles.

But when I really want to get on it I'll select Sports Plus and manual. It definitely tightens up the gear shifting - big old kick in the pants when it changes under max load. The biggest reason though is how it tightens up the suspension - don't forget that.

On the road I've only run Sports Plus in auto a few times while really driving the crap out of the car on some back roads. Sublime.
Old 03-13-2015, 11:46 AM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 836 Likes on 418 Posts

Because of this thread I selected Sport Plus and took the long twisty way home from work yesterday.

I didn't know Sport Plus would only allow me to go to 6th gear.... interesting.

I'm usually reserved and leave it in ECON on my drives around town and during long distance cruising but I definitely hit the PSE button backing the car out of the garage.

Edit: Ha to NoGaBiker

Last edited by CSK 911 C4S; 03-13-2015 at 01:24 PM.
Old 03-13-2015, 12:26 PM
Duke I
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I struggled for a good long time with the SC option from March to June last year. In the end, the only feature I really wanted was the motor mounts. Did not want Big Ben on the dash, for sure -- a cleaner look, to me at anyhow.

I'm sure SC is a good option for the track, as others have said. I drive my car in sports mode exclusively and just barely get out of 3rd gear in an aggressive acceleration to about 80mph. Outside of the track, I cannot imagine driving around with my car constantly looking for redline to shift. Just me.

As for resale, I do not plan to sell my car, ever.
Old 03-13-2015, 01:15 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 233 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by CSK 911 C4S
...during long distance cursing...
Have any luck with that? I find mine run out of power at around 75 yards.
Old 03-13-2015, 04:37 PM
Grunty
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

I am new to this long distance cursing. Does it require a megaphone?
Old 03-14-2015, 12:57 AM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 129 Posts

Lol.

Long distance cursing. Let me tell you. If you can't swear for at least 10 min. without repeating yourself you won't be a good long distance curser.

Dubloh7. We're not alone! You gotta love it or leave it for sure!

Yes. The PDK only goes up to 6th gear in Sport Plus manual. 7th gear is the economy gear as Porsche puts it.

Also, the PDK and Manual cars fluid temperature program is the same. Just like it was already said here in normal auto without selecting Sport or Sport + the coolant temp. and oil temp run higher on purpose for strictly fuel conservation reasons. The coolant temperature is actually running 5-10 degrees hotter but because of the idiot 194 display temp. you don't actually see it fluctuating. If you really could watch the digital temp of the coolant in real time you'd go berserk. I was 3 or 4 years old and have this hazy memory of sitting with my mom on the curb outside a MacDonalds watching my father curse at his 67 Stingray while steam was pouring out if he engine compartment. I think to this day I still have "car overheat" anxiety because of that. Lol.

In Sport & Sport + the engine program runs the coolant/water temp and oil temp lower on purpose for performance reasons. Tip. Your car is really making more power in those settings. It's not just the throttle response & shift points.

I'm not even going to talk about the wart. I love it because of my age I'm sure. 20 years ago you weren't cool if you didn't have a 6" Autometer monster tach on the dash of your 5.0. Ha ha.
Old 03-14-2015, 12:27 PM
Ski Porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 76 Posts

I like the wart/bulge. Whenever I go anywhere in my car I'm in sport mode, unless I'm on a long freeway stint--then it's back to normal. Sport+ is reserved for the track. I'm surprised at how hard the up shifts are though. More of a slam then a shift. Is that everyone else's experience as well?
Old 03-14-2015, 03:56 PM
trysixty
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ski Porsche
More of a slam then a shift. Is that everyone else's experience as well?
Yep, shake a ducktail!
Old 03-14-2015, 10:41 PM
Sidvicious7
Burning Brakes

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Ski Porsche
I like the wart/bulge. Whenever I go anywhere in my car I'm in sport mode, unless I'm on a long freeway stint--then it's back to normal. Sport+ is reserved for the track. I'm surprised at how hard the up shifts are though. More of a slam then a shift. Is that everyone else's experience as well?
I have the same experience! However, I love the kick when in Sports +. I too have noticed 6th gear to be the max in the plus mode. I wouldn't go as far to say it's a slam, maybe a hard shift.
Old 03-15-2015, 12:01 AM
Just J
Rennlist Member

Received 374 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by STG991
I like it personally!

It looks too plain and flat without it I think!

I guess I'm in the minority.
+1 for the wart. I think it adds character to the prairie that is the top of the dash.

And, weirdly enough, it gets lots of positive comments from first time passengers.

Quick Reply: Do you use the Sport Chrono on your 991S?