Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Garage door opening using overhead console

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2015 | 08:17 PM
Sharm
Pro

Default Garage door opening using overhead console

Hey guys, I've been trying to use the home link to open the garage door but can't seem to get it working. I seem to have programmed my 911 targa 4S correctly as I get the 3 flashes from the turn signal confirming the vehicle accepted the input, but am still unable to open my door. Has anyone been able to do this successfully?
Old 03-07-2015 | 08:27 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Here is what I did --

• Press Learn button on overhead garage door opener. Learn light should blink.

• Go to car and press Home Link button (the button in car you want to link) within 30 seconds.

• Check Overhead Garage Opener Learn Light -- it should be steady.

• If steady, press Home Link button again - the Learn light on garage opener should go out.

It should work. If not, try again - I think I had to do it 2-3 times before it actually "learned"
Old 03-07-2015 | 08:57 PM
romansroad
Advanced

+1 and it can be a real pain....We had a MB that simply wouldn't ever program.
Old 03-07-2015 | 09:21 PM
991TurboS
Racer

My TTS took a few times to program. I know there are different instructions if your opener is a rolling code vs a static code type. Plenty of threads about opener programming issues. I started one myself. I programmed mine several times, and it just worked the last time. I don't know why it is such a PIA?
Old 03-07-2015 | 09:26 PM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by 991TurboS
My TTS took a few times to program. I know there are different instructions if your opener is a rolling code vs a static code type. Plenty of threads about opener programming issues. I started one myself. I programmed mine several times, and it just worked the last time. I don't know why it is such a PIA?
Count me in the PIA club!! It was very frustrating getting it to work.
Old 03-07-2015 | 09:40 PM
Vise
Drifting

It took me a couple tries but I got it to work by following the instructions in the manual. For most rolling code garage door openers (ie. anything recent) it is a two step process... first mate an existing opener to the car (press/hold Homelink button, point your opener at the front left) and get it to blink the turn signals lights 3 times to confirm. After that hit the learn button on your overhead unit and press the button in the car you programmed in step 1 a couple times.

Keep at it, I'm sure you can get it going...
Old 03-08-2015 | 09:35 AM
porsche42
Racer

Yeah count me also in the PIA club. Took a couple of times before it "learned".
Old 03-08-2015 | 10:00 AM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Interesting; I have old openers (nineties); bought a Grand Cherokee a couple years ago and the salesman programmed it at the dealership for my wife using only the remote. We've never touched it and it's worked from day one.

Would this be because it's old? If so, is it likely to work when my 911 comes in and I make the salesman do that for me? Or will I have to drag his butt to the house to make it happen? He's already going to be sitting on hold for Sirius getting my account set up.
Old 03-08-2015 | 10:11 AM
freeman
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yes, it is a PIA and yes, it may take multiple tries. There is also another concern. If you have another previously successfully programmed Home Link vehicle in the garage, programming the new vehicle may disable the previously programmed vehicles Home Link if it is close by. Pull the previously programmed vehicle several hundred feet away from the garage.
Old 03-08-2015 | 12:47 PM
PDK1965
Instructor

Originally Posted by freeman
Yes, it is a PIA and yes, it may take multiple tries. There is also another concern. If you have another previously successfully programmed Home Link vehicle in the garage, programming the new vehicle may disable the previously programmed vehicles Home Link if it is close by. Pull the previously programmed vehicle several hundred feet away from the garage.
Great suggestion. I've made that mistake, finally getting the Porsche programmed only to find that I now have to reprogram my DD. Always happens at around 11 pm.....
Old 03-08-2015 | 01:21 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

It was a PIA for me to do, as well, at least until I figured it out. My garage door opener is German, too - I had hoped that they would more apt to communicate with each other but alas, it still took some effort to get it to work...
Old 03-08-2015 | 04:59 PM
romansroad
Advanced

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
Interesting; I have old openers (nineties); bought a Grand Cherokee a couple years ago and the salesman programmed it at the dealership for my wife using only the remote. We've never touched it and it's worked from day one.

Would this be because it's old? If so, is it likely to work when my 911 comes in and I make the salesman do that for me? Or will I have to drag his butt to the house to make it happen? He's already going to be sitting on hold for Sirius getting my account set up.
that worked because it wasn't the new "rolling code" type. The newer ones require that you teach the car from a handheld working remote then teach the opener motorhead to recognize the car. This programming allows both the handheld remoteand the car to "roll" the code for security reasons.

Rolling code unfortunately makes it a total pain in the rear
Old 03-08-2015 | 05:54 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Sounds like you have a rolling code door opener. Just follow the procedure in the owners manual and it should work for you. First "train" your Homelink opener in your car to recognize your remote control door opener. Then, you have to find and push the "learn" button on your garage door opener housing. Press it then go back to you car quickly (30 seconds is all you have) and press the Homelink button you previously programmed to recognize your garage remote. You might have to press the Homelink button several times for it to "learn" the door opener code. I think the ignition has to be on during the process also.
Old 03-08-2015 | 07:58 PM
7and911
Advanced

My garage door opener is Hormann. I tried everything but no luck. Anyone has a Hormann and managed to pair it with the 991 Homelink please?

Thank you
Old 03-08-2015 | 08:14 PM
ny991
Nordschleife Master

Some openers require a repeater. It translates from opener to vehicle, check your opener manual.

Quick Reply: Garage door opening using overhead console