Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2015, 04:43 PM
Vise
Drifting

Received 317 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by Parnelli
And yes, mine is the Viper Green car. Here is the link

https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...esign-pkg.html
Awesome car. This thread needs the pics...

Old 03-07-2015, 05:07 PM
VintageRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 450 Likes on 229 Posts

Very nice car. I owned one that color back in the old days. My current early long hood is Gemini Blue.

If you put the bra on it, you'll never be able to wax the paint that is covered by the plastic. What will it all look like in 10 years?

Like all new cars that I have owned, the rocks will attack it during the first year. It's a given fact.

So far, my front clip and windshield have deflected the attack without any visible damage.
Old 03-07-2015, 05:24 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Vise
Yes. I can't speak for all films but on my car you can wash/wax as you would normally... just take care wherever there may be an exposed seam which should be rare if you get the full front clip done. The surface is actually quite soft and feels like paint. I was getting the car detailed afterwards including Opticoat Pro and my shop recommended that I Opti-coat over top for an added layer of protection. My plan is to wash weekly or so and use quick detailer as required, no probs.

Just don't use a buffer/abrasive polish and be careful around any seams... otherwise business as usual.

This has been my experience as well. The film technology has advanced and a good shop specializing in putting it on will not make any of the typical mistakes and will advise you how to take care of it and avoid the usual hazards. To me it is valuable protection.
Old 03-07-2015, 08:20 PM
dogshyne
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

i would have never done it but i bought my car with 1300 miles and it had the full clear bra treatment. i will do it from now on. no brainer. i wish all my paint were covered. the doors get minor swirls and the rear bumper and grills on the back deck are almost impossible not to get light clear scratches on. i do the full ammonyc wash treatment so its not technique, but black paint shows everything.

so end result.. do it. you will be glad you did.
Old 03-07-2015, 08:46 PM
pap2828
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by slkeyser
#1 - I have a 911 on order... due to arrive in 6 - 8 weeks.
#2 - This will be my first Porsche.
#3 - I've never had a Clear Bra on any of my cars
#4 - I anticipate my car will spend a lot of time in my garage and that I will spend a lot of time washing and waxing it.

My question to those with experience...

One of the things I look forward to most over the next several years will be the washing and waxing of my 911. Somehow the thought of washing and waxing a plastic covered car doesn't appeal to me as much as washing and waxing the real car's painted surface. But... I have no experience with the Clear-Bra technology.

So the question is... Can you wash and wax the protective film covering and enjoy that experience like you would enjoy the experience of doing it to the real car?

Those with experience, I look forward to your thoughts.
yes you can wash and wax as usual
Old 03-07-2015, 10:05 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,568 Likes on 2,320 Posts

Originally Posted by Tcc1999
Well, since you asked the question . . . Yeah, I can afford it but I have no desire to. The $10K or so it would cost is money I'd rather spend taking my wife to Paris. But that's just me, I'd rather have an experience than an unblemished car. However, I wouldn't deride anyone for covering their car if that's what gives them satisfaction/comfort. (Nice GR by the way. If we could find a Speed Yellow, Signal Green, RS Orange and Macadamia (brown) we could have an M&M rally!)
+1
Old 03-07-2015, 10:45 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Vise
Not sure if the OP was referring to full body coverage or not but it should not cost that much even for a full car. Best bet is to get the full front clip done which should be in the $1500-2000 price range depending on where you are located.

Key is to not get it done at the dealer! My dealer pricing was over 2x the cost of my local shop that I've been dealing with for years... same as with tint, dealer sends it out to the same place and you pay 2x for their efforts.
My only experience on pricing is PremierMobilGroup (pretty much the top dogs in Clear Bra and Film work, at least in CA). My wife just got an S3 and they quoted her about $3K, maybe a little more, for full front, mirrors and rear bumper. I'd guess it would be more than double that to cover the whole car. She wanted the film for the front (she's on the highway 60 miles a day and her old car took a beating) and her dealer flat-bedded the car to Premier for the work with no mark-up or fee
Old 03-08-2015, 01:48 AM
PDK1965
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very cool car! Did you order it? I'm waiting in one from the same dealer. Not nearly as visually striking as yours.
Old 03-08-2015, 04:47 AM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 129 Posts

20k miles.

Half Los Angeles and Orange County dry freeways and city/suburb driving.

Bought my plain black car new with 11 miles on it.

I'm one of those guys that says drive it, don't save your girl for the next guy, laugh at the old people with plastic on their furniture etc.

Guess what?

If I had a chance again I would have clear bra the:

Front bumper
Hood
And the rockers (the skirts below the doors all the over the rear fenders.)

That's it.

Those are the only areas that get pitted on this version of the 911.
Old 03-08-2015, 04:49 AM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 129 Posts

Oh yea, and he headlights.

The rest of the car doesn't need it.

The disclaimer is this is from use on dry roads, no track time in the South West.

After 20k miles the paint pitting just gets worse. The film would have saved those areas of the car.

C'est la vie !
Old 03-08-2015, 05:57 AM
systemr
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

Stunning car!

And once again thanks for all your help on having a look at my car before I bought it
Old 03-08-2015, 01:17 PM
wanderfalke
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sure I've gotten some chips, I just spend a little time fixing them to the point they are unnoticeable,....and to me that is much better then any clear bra install I have seen.

Just my .02[/QUOTE]

How do you fix chips in the clear coat.
Old 03-08-2015, 02:50 PM
Parnelli
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by PDK1965
Very cool car! Did you order it? I'm waiting in one from the same dealer. Not nearly as visually striking as yours.
I did not order it.
I had been searching for a viper green Porsche for at least 5 years. In all that time I only saw two for sale, counting both new and used. Anyway, when Geoff @ Isringhausen posted that they had a new one for sale I was shocked (supposedly Porsche only made two viper green cars in 2015). He was kind enough to mention it to the Rennlist enthusiasts before putting it on all of the other car sites (cars.com, Autotrader, other Porsche dealers, etc).
Quite honestly I had blown it off at first as I've always been an air-cooled Porsche guy (latest was a '97 993 TT). I really don't know much about 991's at all (except for the fact that they are obviously great cars). I had just sold my 993 turbo two weeks ago as I was afraid to drive and enjoy it due to its rapidly increasing. I feared putting miles on it or getting in an accident and severly depreciating its value. Quite frankly the added stress negated all of the positive benefits of driving it.

So I was in a position to act and bought it immediately. And these guys knew what they had, too. No discount off of MSRP
But I am very happy and am looking forward to having a great looking car that has new technology. I'll be on the '991' boards in the future with what may seem like some dumb questions to you guys so please be easy on me
And if u have any '993' questions I may be of help
Old 03-08-2015, 05:03 PM
Parnelli
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by systemr
Stunning car!

And once again thanks for all your help on having a look at my car before I bought it
systemr how are you sir? You got a great car. Yours is the first 991 I ever drove!
Old 03-09-2015, 10:40 AM
mtbscott
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

No Clearbra for me. Don't like the way it looks, and not saving my car for the next guy.

Quick Reply: to CLEAR BRA a new 991 or not?