Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This new 911 fits precisely between the….

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2015, 11:46 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by coxswain
Does "RS" stand for "Rennsport"? If not, please enlighten me.
Yes.
Old 03-07-2015, 02:51 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by jimbo1111
I personally don't care for the turbo side vents. Does anybody know what they are for?
Looks. Porsche marketing promised the board that for every superfluous vent they sell an additional 4 cars to the corvette crowd.

Seriously though, Porsche knows suspension, brakes and engine will only take you so far, then you have to rely on aerodynamics. For pretty much their whole history they have been the industry leader in this. There is what Porsche would call an intelligent balance between the uses of airflow for cooling, drag and downforce. People criticizing the way a car looks with a wing or vent or duct are justified. People complaining about the way a vent or duct or wing looks on a Porsche would do well to consider the above. And/or the below.

There are no Turbo side vents. The Turbo has rear quarter air intakes for cooling air that vents out the back and below. The GT3RS has front fender vents to improve airflow allowing greater downforce. All the airflow around the car is managed so as to achieve the best balance of downforce, cooling (in this case of the brakes) and drag in a car at its intended performance level.
Old 03-07-2015, 06:16 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911

Looks. Porsche marketing promised the board that for every superfluous vent they sell an additional 4 cars to the corvette crowd.

Seriously though, Porsche knows suspension, brakes and engine will only take you so far, then you have to rely on aerodynamics. For pretty much their whole history they have been the industry leader in this. There is what Porsche would call an intelligent balance between the uses of airflow for cooling, drag and downforce. People criticizing the way a car looks with a wing or vent or duct are justified. People complaining about the way a vent or duct or wing looks on a Porsche would do well to consider the above. And/or the below.

There are no Turbo side vents. The Turbo has rear quarter air intakes for cooling air that vents out the back and below. The GT3RS has front fender vents to improve airflow allowing greater downforce. All the airflow around the car is managed so as to achieve the best balance of downforce, cooling (in this case of the brakes) and drag in a car at its intended performance level.
Thank you Chuck for that very detailed explanation. Makes perfect sense. Sometimes we don't realize how important utilization of air flow can improve overall control and help a great car perform even better.
Old 03-07-2015, 06:50 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,604 Likes on 2,343 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911

Actually there was significant speculation on the 991 GT3 forum that these
vents on the RS are in fact engine air intakes ala the RSR race car, which
ducts air from the side events into the engine intake plenum.

This speculation was motivated by the fact that the factory mule, and now
the production car has dispensed with the "signature" "ram" air vents on
the engine decklid that previous cars had...

Its my belief that this is in fact the case...
Old 03-07-2015, 09:09 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Keep your drool cup (and/or tissues) handy lads…. (and anyone still puzzled about the wing vents, please listen closely at 1:18)

Old 03-07-2015, 11:07 PM
chuck911
Race Car

AP explains how the front wing vents DOUBLE downforce. And that's just the beginning!

Old 03-10-2015, 04:22 AM
hoppah
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The sound... the sound....

H.
Old 03-11-2015, 01:14 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Best line yet: "So we're now on to camera man number two…"

Old 03-11-2015, 03:25 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

should we crowdfund a haircut for Brendon H?

conspiracy theory:

and ...

are they one and the same?
Old 03-11-2015, 06:55 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Everyone today enjoys messy hair. What I enjoy is watching a guy like Brendon drive. Like every top driver I've ever seen, his hands are light on the wheel, his arms fluid, head and upper body a study in tranquility. Its amazing, because to watch him drive you would never suspect the power of the wildly deviating plus one gee forces he is so blithely generating with every exquisitely calibrated input. (I'm sure it helps that he's already mastered the Cup and LMP1 cars.)

Which by the way, in case people haven't guessed, is where I got the thread title. Porsche (AP, actually) famously said the GTS "fits precisely" between the S and GT3. So I guess they should be saying the GT3RS "fits precisely" between the GT3 and the Cup. Which is pretty much what AP implies in the above video when he compares the GT3RS downforce to being nearly as great as the Cup car. Anything beyond the RS, forget about it. Slap a number on it. Its a race car.
Old 03-11-2015, 07:00 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chuck911;12110941[B
]Everyone today enjoys messy hair.[/B] What I enjoy is watching a guy like Brendon drive. Like every top driver I've ever seen, his hands are light on the wheel, his arms fluid, head and upper body a study in tranquility. Its amazing, because to watch him drive you would never suspect the power of the wildly deviating plus one gee forces he is so blithely generating with every exquisitely calibrated input. (I'm sure it helps that he's already mastered the Cup and LMP1 cars.)

Which by the way, in case people haven't guessed, is where I got the thread title. Porsche (AP, actually) famously said the GTS "fits precisely" between the S and GT3. So I guess they should be saying the GT3RS "fits precisely" between the GT3 and the Cup. Which is pretty much what AP implies in the above video when he compares the GT3RS downforce to being nearly as great as the Cup car. Anything beyond the RS, forget about it. Slap a number on it. Its a race car.
I was only having a bit of light hearted fun ... not criticizing his skills as a driver... ultimate in "helmet hair"
Old 03-11-2015, 08:10 PM
Parnelli
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by blschaefer1
Am I the only one that thinks the rear wing is a bit crude and overdone?

Man, I LOVE that wing !!!
Old 03-12-2015, 02:32 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Yeah. The only thing I don't like about the wing is watching Blondie- er, Blonden… I mean Brendon eating his pasta off it. That wing, like the rest of the car, is an engineering tour de force.

All Porsches are by their very nature products of form follows function design. They have a reason for being. As the great man himself has said, "this is why functional designs are so beautiful, so calming." The RS wing, like everything else about the car, is the embodiment of this philosophy, distilled and concentrated. A beautiful beast, calming yet stirring. What a car!
Old 03-12-2015, 11:51 AM
PDK1965
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Which by the way, in case people haven't guessed, is where I got the thread title. Porsche (AP, actually) famously said the GTS "fits precisely" between the S and GT3. So I guess they should be saying the GT3RS "fits precisely" between the GT3 and the Cup. Which is pretty much what AP implies in the above video when he compares the GT3RS downforce to being nearly as great as the Cup car. Anything beyond the RS, forget about it. Slap a number on it. Its a race car.[/QUOTE]

Caught the reference. I've watched that film several times (as I wait for my GTS to be built), and just hope that it will fit "precisely" in my garage and "precisely" satisfy my 911 lust for a while.

I also love the "warm" welcome given in the intro. Not warm at all.....
Old 03-12-2015, 02:18 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Now I went and watched the AP video above looking for the less than warm welcome, before I realized you're talking about the AP GTS video. So many videos! Oh well. I did catch the amazing comments that while the GT3RS has nearly TWICE the downforce of the GT3, total drag is almost the same. And the magnesium roof is one kilo lighter than carbon fiber! It just goes on and on...

Quick Reply: This new 911 fits precisely between the….