Sponsored by:

Sport PASM Ride Height

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2016, 09:25 PM
arlan in arizona
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BingoWest
Your forehead should be good and bloody by then.
You think? 🙄
Old 02-27-2016, 09:32 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Originally Posted by oalvarez
super. i'm sure other owners whose cars do scrape are careful too (includes me), but that doesn't change the roads and obstacles those cars face. spend some time over here on the west coast and you'll quickly understand what i'm speaking about.
I'm on the West Coast and I don't scrape. I'm just super careful and I angle anything steep. Granted if you're living and driving in the middle of a major city, you're more likely to scrape once in a while. Other than that, I think it's pretty easy to avoid scraping more than on the very rare occasion.
Old 02-27-2016, 09:55 PM
oalvarez
Three Wheelin'

Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
I'm on the West Coast and I don't scrape. I'm just super careful and I angle anything steep. Granted if you're living and driving in the middle of a major city, you're more likely to scrape once in a while. Other than that, I think it's pretty easy to avoid scraping more than on the very rare occasion.
that's your vicinity, your driving routes, "impediments" you obviously don't have to face. you may live in some "newer" community or in the country somewhere (no driveways), i don't know and really don't care. look at what the previous poster had to say.....from so cal....on the west coast...his own driveway he scrapes in and out of......mine too.....and my place of work.....and the grocery store...and the....

they will scrape given the driveway slope or undulation/bump in the road, no matter how careful one is. again, it all depends on the roads you drive on, and driveway slopes you face on a day to day basis. if you don't have steep driveways or "weird" street junctions to traverse then you should not have a problem with such. i get that. but they DO and WILL scrape. the notion i'm trying to dismiss is that they WILL NEVER or DON'T.
Old 02-27-2016, 10:08 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

By that logic, any car will scrape if the conditions are right, even a PASM car. To conclude that the last 10mm of SPASM is the reason, is flawed logic. And I don't live in a new community. I drive all over the Bay Area and rarely ever scrape, though I don't stop in SF much. I'm sure it would be a bigger challenge there.

And I never said they would never scrape. Just that it's easy to keep it to a minimum. And anyone unable to avoid scraping every time the leave their driveway simply bought the wrong car.
Old 02-27-2016, 10:38 PM
oalvarez
Three Wheelin'

By that logic, any car will scrape if the conditions are right, even a PASM car. To conclude that the last 10mm of SPASM is the reason, is flawed logic. And I don't live in a new community. I drive all over the Bay Area and rarely ever scrape, though I don't stop in SF much. I'm sure it would be a bigger challenge there.

And I never said they would never scrape. Just that it's easy to keep it to a minimum. And anyone unable to avoid scraping every time the leave their driveway simply bought the wrong car.
your car scrapes....even if only a fraction of the time. you go on to admit that your car may even scrape more of the time if you drove in San Francisco. i'm from the Bay Area and know quite well what the roads and driveway slopes can be like in the City.

other folk's cars scrape more of the time, than yours, you know, because of the different situations they face because they're NOT all like the roads you traverse. some folks cars may NEVER scrape, you know, because their roads and driveways may be close to flat, or less steeply sloped.

bought the wrong car? huh?
Old 02-27-2016, 11:19 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

I have SPASM and almost never scrape. It it's definitely due to being careful. I've gotten through psychotic insane bumps and driveway angles without any scrape by slowing down and coming in at a huge angle. If you drive like google car and take everything head on, then yes driving onto a given grade change will result in a scrape. However if you're smart about it and find a good angle you can get through almost any situation.
Old 02-28-2016, 12:57 AM
oalvarez
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Dewinator
I have SPASM and almost never scrape. It it's definitely due to being careful. I've gotten through psychotic insane bumps and driveway angles without any scrape by slowing down and coming in at a huge angle. If you drive like google car and take everything head on, then yes driving onto a given grade change will result in a scrape. However if you're smart about it and find a good angle you can get through almost any situation.
on your roads that you travel on, absolutely. to make that claim about other roads that folks drive on is ridiculous. being careful isn't the answer for everyone, it's been proven in this thread countless times.

the spasm cars scrape, no matter how careful one can be.

becoming funny.
Old 02-28-2016, 02:36 AM
silvertige
Rennlist Member

Received 200 Likes on 120 Posts

I have SPASM and its the first car that I've ever had that has scraped and seems to scrape with some consistency. Granted, its the plastic black lip, so I'm not worried. But scraping will happen with SPASM. Would still order it in a heartbeat, however.
Old 02-28-2016, 03:05 AM
rzundel
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's mine with SPASM. Best option for the money.
Attached Images  
Old 03-01-2016, 09:54 AM
gloom
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by arlan in arizona
Because I am the idiot that ordered Front Axle Lift and not SPASM.
If that can be of any comfort, I did the same on my .2 C2S: PASM + lift. I'm fine with my decision. Yes the SPASM looks better but we have ****ty roads here and I live in a hilly area. The car will be my DD and I want to have the confidence that I can take it anywhere: underground garage, speedbumps, etc. without any worries.
Old 03-01-2016, 02:11 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by oalvarez
your car scrapes....even if only a fraction of the time. you go on to admit that your car may even scrape more of the time if you drove in San Francisco. i'm from the Bay Area and know quite well what the roads and driveway slopes can be like in the City.

other folk's cars scrape more of the time, than yours, you know, because of the different situations they face because they're NOT all like the roads you traverse. some folks cars may NEVER scrape, you know, because their roads and driveways may be close to flat, or less steeply sloped.

bought the wrong car? huh?
I've scraped my SPASM car once and my X73 Cayman once. Both times it was because I wasn't paying attention/moving too fast. I could have easily avoided both times if I just slowed down and angled. Haven't scraped either since.

My point isn't that you'll never scrape. It's that, outside of commuting daily inside a major city, you can avoid scraping a SPASM car more than extremely rarely with just a modicum of care and attention. Anyone who's scraping regularly probably just isn't paying attention or, at the very least, isn't accepting the fact that you have to be more careful with a lowered car.

And yes, I wouldn't buy a car that scraped every time I left my house. I recently passed on a potential very nice home because the driveway would have been a nightmare for a sports car. And I loved that house, but there is no way the issue could have been remedied given the slope of the property.
Old 03-01-2016, 02:15 PM
BingoWest
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone who's scraping regularly probably just isn't paying attention or, at the very least, isn't accepting the fact that you have to be more careful with a lowered car.
This is an assumption that's simply not true, and is rather insulting.

Regardless of how careful I am driving in Los Angeles, I scrape the front lip daily on my SPASM equipped 911S.
Old 03-01-2016, 03:50 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by BingoWest
This is an assumption that's simply not true, and is rather insulting.

Regardless of how careful I am driving in Los Angeles, I scrape the front lip daily on my SPASM equipped 911S.
Northern California must just be a bizzaro world of great roads. If I was scraping my car every freaking day, I'd be getting a different car.
Old 03-01-2016, 04:58 PM
BingoWest
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I was scraping my car every freaking day, I'd be getting a different car.
I'll have to admit, scraping of the bottom lip is a cloud on the otherwise fantastic experience of owning my 911S. It's a small price to pay at the present time as I am otherwise loving the car.

If I were to order a new 991.2, I would definitely not spec SPASM.
Old 03-01-2016, 05:36 PM
paul29
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One thing about it every time you scrape you have a few more mm's clearance for the next time.

Quick Reply: Sport PASM Ride Height