Sport PASM Ride Height

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2016, 09:42 AM
findtom
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
Rflanaga, welcome to RL.

A common misconception about PASM and PASM Sport (SPASM unofficially) is that it adjust ride height in some way. As chuck above says, it does not do that.

In a nutshell, PASM and SPASM are the same things EXCEPT for one difference: SPASM has shorter springs and thus the ride height is (permanently) 10mm lower than PASM.

No PASM: Sea Level
PASM: Sea Level minus 10mm
SPASM: Sea Level minus 20mm
And the sway bars are stiffer, you get cool chin spoiler and the rear spoiler deploys slightly higher....

All joking aside, it's the best option on the whole option list!
Old 02-13-2016, 11:13 AM
Jabs1542
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by rflanaga
Hopefully someone can assist before I make a mistake I'll regret. I have a 2013 Carrera 911S with standard dual mode PASM, no Sport Suspension. However, I want the extended front spoiler that comes with the sport suspension, the tongue looking front spoiler. I have done exhaustive physical measuring and reading but still not 100% sure on this one. Can someone please offer a factual suggestion on whether this is a Total Clearance Mistake? Std PASM on/off vs Sport Suspension PASM on/off clearance details. Actually, just a simple it's OK or don't mess with your car would be fine but I do love the technical details. Thank you all very much for any help.
As others have said, the ride height does not change while driving. But the basic height is different. You can look at it this way. My car has SPASM with the front tongue spoiler. If you add the tongue spoiler to your car, and then the two of us park our cars side by side, you will see that the bottom of your spoiler is 10mm (~1/2") higher off the ground than mine (that's the overall ride height difference between PASM and SPASM). In the end, you will get the look you want and you will scrape the ground less than I will - enjoy...
Old 02-13-2016, 12:43 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
No PASM: Sea Level
PASM: Sea Level minus 10mm
SPASM: Sea Level minus 20mm
But what if I'm driving in the mountains?
Old 02-13-2016, 05:00 PM
rflanaga
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tongue Spoiler

Originally Posted by Jabs1542
As others have said, the ride height does not change while driving. But the basic height is different. You can look at it this way. My car has SPASM with the front tongue spoiler. If you add the tongue spoiler to your car, and then the two of us park our cars side by side, you will see that the bottom of your spoiler is 10mm (~1/2") higher off the ground than mine (that's the overall ride height difference between PASM and SPASM). In the end, you will get the look you want and you will scrape the ground less than I will - enjoy...
Thank you so much, just what I wanted to hear. Do you find you hit / rub a few more things unexpectedly?
Old 02-13-2016, 05:02 PM
rflanaga
7th Gear

Default Chin Spoiler

Originally Posted by findtom
And the sway bars are stiffer, you get cool chin spoiler and the rear spoiler deploys slightly higher....

All joking aside, it's the best option on the whole option list!
Greatly appreciated indeed. Cheers....
Old 02-13-2016, 08:27 PM
rflanaga
7th Gear

Default Spoiler to be ordered

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
Nothing you do with the PASM setting has anything to do with ride hight. Add the spoiler, enjoy it. Just be aware its there, that it sticks out and down slightly more than the stock spoiler and avoid curbs and steep driveways.

Mine is now 4 years old, has some scrapes on the bottom where they are unobtrusive. I managed to pop it off once when I first got the car.

Thank you Chuck and everyone, I now have a very clear understanding and feel good about it. I'll e ordering the Sport Suspension Front Spoiler on Monday. If I rip it off, the original will be under the guest room bed. I love storing car parts in the house, keeps em warm. Thanks again all.
Attached Images  
Old 02-19-2016, 11:08 PM
jsragman
Track Day

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Question Think I screwed up!?!?

Sorry, I found the answer. Seems everything is here in the forums, you just have to look. doh.

So I ordered a 2016 GTS C2 which arrived at the dealers door about a week ago. I'll be headed up north to get the car in a couple of weeks and in my excitment I am back reading the boards to see whats happening. I come across this PASM vs SPASM thread and I am thinking WTF are they talking about and I am trying to figure out exactly what i ordered??? I first read the GTS literature to read that I was getting PASM not realizing that there was a SPASM. I saw the option for $890 but thought it was included in the GTS as some of the items included on the GTS didnt check in the configurator. Upon further review it seems that I may have screwed up regarding this option? Can anyone clarify this for me? I now think I got just PASM and the 10mm lower height and that in order to get the 20mm lower height I needed that option which I skipped? Still the car has the sport and sport plus and the shock absorber buttons? Any help is appreciated.

Last edited by jsragman; 02-20-2016 at 12:29 AM. Reason: found answer elsewhere
Old 02-20-2016, 03:41 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,903 Posts

I don't believe SPASM is standard on the GTS, but I'm not sure. Either way, I wouldn't sweat it. They're both great and you'll love the car either way. And unless you drive a SPASM car, you'll never know the difference. Nor is it certain you would prefer SPASM. Some people don't.
Old 02-20-2016, 04:52 PM
Vise
Drifting

Received 332 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
I don't believe SPASM is standard on the GTS, but I'm not sure.
SPASM (PASM Sport Suspension to be precise) is not standard on the GTS. PASM is 10mm lower than a stock 911 Carrera and SPASM is a further 10mm lower than a PASM car (20mm lower than a 911 Carrera).
Old 02-20-2016, 05:56 PM
silvertige
Rennlist Member

Received 200 Likes on 120 Posts

Agree with above. SPASM is not standard on the GTS. It's a great value at 890.
Old 02-20-2016, 07:41 PM
arlan in arizona
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by silvertige
It's a great value at 890.
Probably not what jsragman wanted to hear.
Old 02-20-2016, 09:17 PM
CChung
Advanced

I just put a deposit down for a GTS with SPASM. Do you guys with 991s equipped with SPASM find that you're scraping all the time? I would like to know to prepare myself for the inevitable scraping sound over bumps and driveways. Also, can any GTS owner measure the distance between the floor and the bottom of the front spoiler. I would like to know beforehand if the spoiler will clear the brick I use as a parking stop. Thanks!
Old 02-20-2016, 10:37 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 540 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by CChung
I just put a deposit down for a GTS with SPASM. Do you guys with 991s equipped with SPASM find that you're scraping all the time? I would like to know to prepare myself for the inevitable scraping sound over bumps and driveways. Also, can any GTS owner measure the distance between the floor and the bottom of the front spoiler. I would like to know beforehand if the spoiler will clear the brick I use as a parking stop. Thanks!
Do a quick forum search and you'll find this covered in detail. Most people know it is just a matter of time before you scrape it, but some report they never scrape - depends on your roads/curbs.

My clearance to painted bits is about 4.25 inches (SPASM 991s), IIRC the Gt3 is about 3.75 inches by comparison

GTS did not come with it standard, most dealers ordered Sports Pasm though toward the end of the model run so it was confusing. Had one Sales Mgr tell me they all just came with it!
Old 02-21-2016, 01:55 PM
CChung
Advanced

Did a search, I saw people posting 5 1/2 inch ground clearance for a SPASM GTS front spoiler.
Old 02-27-2016, 04:21 PM
BMWMB
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 24 Posts

This is mine with SPASM. Perfect height!

Quick Reply: Sport PASM Ride Height