Sponsored by:

dealerships

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 09:39 PM
Rayd8tr
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dealerships

The other day I was at my local dealership wanting to take a look at a 911 gts and possibly a gt3 if they had them in stock. I couldn't for the life of me get someone to give me any assistance. It's as if I was invinsible. I finally he to go to the front desk and request a salesperson to help me.

Is this normal for most dealerships?

Thanks
Old 02-26-2015, 09:51 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Rayd8tr
The other day I was at my local dealership wanting to take a look at a 911 gts and possibly a gt3 if they had them in stock. I couldn't for the life of me get someone to give me any assistance. It's as if I was invinsible. I finally he to go to the front desk and request a salesperson to help me.

Thanks
If your not wearing orange sneakers and like like Jerry Seinfeld than yea.
Old 02-26-2015, 09:55 PM
Homeles
Three Wheelin'

Received 132 Likes on 84 Posts

Did you get help? If so, you're good. If not, find a different stealership.
Old 02-26-2015, 10:02 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,413 Likes on 2,516 Posts

Hope you got good sales assistance, once you asked. I'd actually prefer the way you were treated in the beginning, so I can be alone with my thoughts, and not being "sold" yet. For the most part, Porsche buyers are usually better informed than the dealership salespeople. Yes, there are exceptions.
Old 02-26-2015, 10:06 PM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Hope you got good sales assistance, once you asked. I'd actually prefer the way you were treated in the beginning, so I can be alone with my thoughts, and not being "sold" yet. For the most part, Porsche buyers are usually better informed than the dealership salespeople. Yes, there are exceptions.
+1

When shopping (any), I prefer those sales people to stay away from me.
Old 02-26-2015, 10:21 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,413 Likes on 2,516 Posts

This is NOT how you do it. In other words, never wear a cardigan to a Porsche dealership:

https://rennlist.com/forums/off-topi...ant-alert.html
Old 02-26-2015, 10:25 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 222 Likes on 147 Posts

Thanks
Typically Porsche salesmen don't like being pushy, i.e., the exact opposite of the experience you have at a Toyota or Honda dealership where they descend on you as soon as you get out of your car. As a long time Porsche owner I know everyone at my local Porsche dealership from the sales manager to the salesmen, and am greeted as soon as I enter. If they don't know you, I'd suggest calling the dealership ahead of time, ask some questions, and schedule an appointment.
Old 02-26-2015, 10:40 PM
ny991
Nordschleife Master

Received 164 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by fast1
Typically Porsche salesmen don't like being pushy, i.e., the exact opposite of the experience you have at a Toyota or Honda dealership where they descend on you as soon as you get out of your car. As a long time Porsche owner I know everyone at my local Porsche dealership from the sales manager to the salesmen, and am greeted as soon as I enter. If they don't know you, I'd suggest calling the dealership ahead of time, ask some questions, and schedule an appointment.
^^+1. That's the story.
Old 02-26-2015, 11:37 PM
Rocket_boy
Burning Brakes

Received 331 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by fast1
Ditto, I have bought 4 Porsches over the last 10 years from the same dealer/salesperson. Now I don't even go to the dealer to look around, I just email/call my salesperson, tell him what I'm thinking of doing and he always has what I'm looking at ready to drive at a pre-defined appointment time.

If I ever did go to a new dealer and wanted immediate help I would just go to the front desk.
Old 02-26-2015, 11:42 PM
Rayd8tr
AutoX

Thanks for the info...this is, or I should rather say will be my first porsche...I've driven mostly Hondas and it is true that the dealership experience there is much different.
Old 02-27-2015, 12:16 AM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 233 Likes on 125 Posts

Ray, I might add that if you're at all serious, it's worth making a call in advance and speaking to the sales manager. Chat with him a few minutes about what you're looking for. Tell him you'd like to make an appt. to come in and drive some cars spec'd like the two of you have talked about if he has them. (maybe you want to try PDK and manual in a C2 coupe). He may take you himself, or recommend a salesman to you. If so, he'll reccy the guy who's most likely to make it easiest for you to buy a Porsche, which is your goal.

After that, with your new car in hand, make sure you drop in from time to time -- both when you're there anyway for service, and other times to just shoot the breeze with your new salesman buddy. Put some time into the relationship, if he seems like he'll be there awhile (chances are better if he's already been there a long time.)

Then the next time you want to kick some tires you just drop in and ask the cute chick at the front desk if Tom is around today, and there you go -- you're already "pre-approved" and will get to drive the new 992 when it comes out.
Old 02-27-2015, 11:05 AM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 856 Likes on 431 Posts

Thanks
Hate to hear that.

My local dealer was like that when they were locally owned and combined with Jag/Audi/Porsche under one roof. I hated it and vowed to never buy a car from them. Since they were sold and broken up into individual dealerships the sales and service are much more personal now .. it's great. You will get a nice greeting (just enough) when you walk in from someone on the floor and then allowed to go about kicking tires on your own but you at least know who to go to if you have a question. Now that I bought a car from the new dealership it's like I have a name tag on when I walk in to visit. "Hi Mr Klanica how's the C4S treating you"

The Audi dealership on the other hand, they smother you when you walk in plus some sales folks have very little knowledge of what the heck they are selling. That's frustrating. Read a brochure once in a while people.
Old 02-27-2015, 11:12 AM
pap2828
Racer

Thanks
I think good sales people should give you room to breath but be around as soon as you need any advice or help!

Walk....if you don't get this approach!
Old 02-27-2015, 11:48 AM
John 996 TT Cab
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Many dealerships operate a rotating system where walk ins are directed to the next sales person in order so to speak. Controlled by the front desk is not abnormal.
Old 02-27-2015, 12:13 PM
911sccab
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Selfishly, my time is valuable. Professionally, my time is limited. I appreciate every one of my clients, but not when they drop in un-announced.

I'm not prepared to see them and I may not even be able to see them. So I can hardly imagine how this serves them well. If I'm available I love to see them... but after 21 years at the same company, I'm usually busy.

So I figure the Porsche sales person should be treated the same way. The advice above about relationship building is spot on. I make a point to say some "Hellos" when ever I'm in their building but I don't expect them to be at my beck and call unless I've scheduled an appointment.

I think the buyer demographic is very different... and thus the sales approach is very different too. Once you're aware of the difference I think you'll quite like it!

Quick Reply: dealerships