Sponsored by:

Sport vs. Multi Function Steering Wheel

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 08:28 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocket_boy
So many ridiculous misconceptions and comments here.....it's purely a personal choice. 1) Neither the SD or MF wheel steers any better then the other. 2) Paddles don't perform any better than buttons & vice-versa. 3) The MF wheel doesn't have "kewl" paddles like a Ferrari 4) The SD stalk pales in comparison to the MF functionality. If it doesn't control volume, mute, etc. quickly it might as well be a popsicle stick. 5) Neither wheel is a must have for any transmission, no matter anyone's opinion. PDK works just as quick with paddles, buttons or stick. You may prefer one or the other, but that's why it's a personal choice. 6) You should pick one or the other.
I was at the dealership, they said only the "fast" 911's get the SD wheel. Something like an extra 10HP??

The SD wheel is thicker though? Nice grip!

8/10 women polled liked a guy with a SD wheel better.
Old 02-26-2015, 09:10 PM
Vise
Drifting

Received 323 Likes on 198 Posts

So many ridiculous misconceptions and comments here.....it's purely a personal choice.

1) Neither the SD or MF wheel steers any better then the other.
2) Paddles don't perform any better than buttons & vice-versa.
3) The MF wheel doesn't have "kewl" paddles like a Ferrari
4) The SD stalk pales in comparison to the MF functionality. If it doesn't control volume, mute, etc. quickly it might as well be a popsicle stick.
5) Neither wheel is a must have for any transmission, no matter anyone's opinion. PDK works just as quick with paddles, buttons or stick. You may prefer one or the other, but that's why it's a personal choice.
6) You should pick one or the other.
Not sure if kidding but I think objectively the vast majority of people would agree that shifting via paddles is for more intuitive/logical than the stupid buttons mounted on the MF wheel. Not saying they perform any better (ie. shift speed) but the process itself is much more enjoyable... not to mention the paddle style seems to be the universally accepted method of shifting a dual clutch box (see every other manufacturer out there). I don't recall seeing any racing series run a car with wheel surface mounted shift buttons but maybe I'm wrong...

In my opinion the shift 'buttons' on the MF wheel are a big fail by Porsche... if you don't ever shift the PDK manually no worries but for anyone that does I think there is a clear winner. Why else would there by a paddle retrofit option out there for the MF wheel and yet no MF retrofit for the SD wheel? The demand says it all...

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
Asked the SA (30 year Porsche vet, I've been buying from him since 2002) and he said what I wrote above.
As has been noted elsewhere I wouldn't trust what 99% of the people at any dealer has to say. The internet will give you facts vs the often incorrect view of a dealer employee.
Old 02-26-2015, 09:15 PM
STG
Race Director

Can you guys clarify what you meant by how the paddles shift? Backwards? The new 991.2 steering wheel looks like they switched it?

When using the paddles, are you shifting sooner than the PDK in some gears?

Thanks.
Old 02-26-2015, 09:34 PM
Vise
Drifting

The opposite for me, I like choosing to keep the car in a lower gear around town... shifting later than the PDK or sometimes not at all. Personal thing of course.

As for how the paddles shift... pull the right one to upshift and the left one to downshift. As with any sensible/modern dual clutch car.
Old 02-26-2015, 09:34 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 233 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Vise
As has been noted elsewhere I wouldn't trust what 99% of the people at any dealer has to say. The internet will give you facts vs the often incorrect view of a dealer employee.
LOL, well I've gotten the straight dope from this guy for a lot of years (friends as well as business relationship), and I've gotten a bucket-load of **** from internet experts over a lot of years, so I don't know that I necessarily agree with your generalization.

But in the end, I don't "trust" or "not trust" either him or the internet; I'll pull both paddles when mine comes in and it will do what it's gonna do.
Old 02-26-2015, 09:41 PM
Vise
Drifting

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
LOL, well I've gotten the straight dope from this guy for a lot of years (friends as well as business relationship), and I've gotten a bucket-load of **** from internet experts over a lot of years, so I don't know that I necessarily agree with your generalization.

But in the end, I don't "trust" or "not trust" either him or the internet; I'll pull both paddles when mine comes in and it will do what it's gonna do.
Fair enough. I've just seen a significant amount of incorrect info passed on as fact from Porsche dealers/experts whereas some time spent on the various Porsche websites would answer most questions correctly. See the thread on PDCC from yesterday on this forum as yet another example. I have to say I respect my sales guy on this, I had a few detailed questions that he flat out had no response for... instead of BS'ing me an answer based on his 'understanding' he contacted Porsche directly and passed their answers on.

Just to clarify I was not referring to people on internet forums as having all of the right answers either... that is clearly a slippery slope.
Old 02-26-2015, 11:19 PM
Rocket_boy
Burning Brakes

Received 330 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by Vise
Not sure if kidding but I think objectively the vast majority of people would agree that shifting via paddles is for more intuitive/logical than the stupid buttons mounted on the MF wheel. Not saying they perform any better (ie. shift speed) but the process itself is much more enjoyable... not to mention the paddle style seems to be the universally accepted method of shifting a dual clutch box (see every other manufacturer out there). I don't recall seeing any racing series run a car with wheel surface mounted shift buttons but maybe I'm wrong...

In my opinion the shift 'buttons' on the MF wheel are a big fail by Porsche... if you don't ever shift the PDK manually no worries but for anyone that does I think there is a clear winner. Why else would there by a paddle retrofit option out there for the MF wheel and yet no MF retrofit for the SD wheel? The demand says it all...

No, not kidding. I pretty much stated fact, not opinion. You're simply stating opinion with your assumptions. My first PDK car was my present 991. Coming from a manual 997 I did not have any "intuition" for what was right or wrong with paddles or buttons,....neither makes the PDK more enjoyable to me as I strictly use the stick. To me paddles didn't even register on the "enjoyment" scale and I'd rather have the abilities of the MF wheel any day of the week.

After several PDK test drives and evaluating both paddles and buttons one thing was clear,....neither made more sense or was more intuitive to me over the other,.....and why would they?, I had been driving sticks all my life! I didn't find the buttons to be either "silly" or stupid",....just different. The few times I have used the buttons I find having the ability to upshift or downshift from a single button a decent feature.

These aren't race cars, they're street cars. If I wanted to play race car wannabe, I guess I could slap slicks and a helmet on and "paddle" my way to work, aside from that I find my MF steering wheel sans paddles much better for the street. To each his own.
Old 02-26-2015, 11:26 PM
Rocket_boy
Burning Brakes

Received 330 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by STG991
I was at the dealership, they said only the "fast"
LOL, 10/10 prefer me to use my stick.
Old 02-26-2015, 11:49 PM
Vise
Drifting

To each their own indeed. If you like the MF functionality with PDK all good... totally get the functionality strengths and it is taking some getting used to not having volume control on the wheel (first world problems, lol).

I personally have a strong preference for the SD wheel based on experience with both wheels as well as from other dual clutch equipped cars. I don't feel the push buttons on the MF wheel make much sense but if you get used to them more power to you.
Old 02-27-2015, 12:04 AM
STG
Race Director

These aren't race cars, they're street cars. If I wanted to play race car wannabe, I guess I could slap slicks and a helmet on and "paddle" my way to work, aside from that I find my MF steering wheel sans paddles much better for the street. To each his own.
Let me guess, but a fan of the ducktail and Sport Design bumper? The GTS model?

A Panamera is a street car. The 911 is a race car you can drive on the street
Old 02-27-2015, 12:09 AM
77tony
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 116 Posts

Might be someone here that would prefer the MF and swap with you. Worked for me swapping headlights.02 T

Last edited by 77tony; 02-27-2015 at 02:18 AM.
Old 02-27-2015, 03:11 PM
PDK1965
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by STG991
I was at the dealership, they said only the "fast" 911's get the SD wheel. Something like an extra 10HP??

The SD wheel is thicker though? Nice grip!

I believe it's the thickness that they like

Quick Reply: Sport vs. Multi Function Steering Wheel