Sponsored by:

2013 Carrera S - Some Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 12:08 PM
waizone
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts
Default 2013 Carrera S - Some Questions

Found a very low mile 2013 991 S that is priced right. One owner trade in at P dealer. Car has 7 MT, full leather, sport chrono, PDLS, Bose, Premium package, multi function wheel and sunroof. Its missing some key options that I want: Sport suspension and sport exhaust. Understand I can add PSE but concerned about not having PASM. I currently drive a 2007 Carrera S with PASM and PSE. Thoughts on suspension and exhaust are appreciated.
Old 02-24-2015, 12:20 PM
cbenz1
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Plenty of fish in the sea. If you have that option now, I would keep looking. More and more are coming available. I made the mistake of jumping on one that did not have all the options I wanted, and no matter what I do to it it will never be exactly what I wanted. Like the car but will never love it
Old 02-24-2015, 12:38 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,407 Likes on 2,514 Posts

A 991S will still have PASM. Just like you're used too with your current ride. Just not Sport PASM.

Have the dealership add PSE to the deal, at cost. Pay a little extra. Done deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Rennlist
Old 02-24-2015, 01:10 PM
RobC4sX51
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
A 991S will still have PASM. Just like you're used too with your current ride. Just not Sport PASM.

Have the dealership add PSE to the deal, at cost. Pay a little extra. Done deal.

+1. Or you can do a Sharkwerks center muffler bypass and get a good sound and maybe a little more HP/T as PSE gives you neither! Just saying.
Old 02-24-2015, 01:33 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,718 Likes on 5,120 Posts

Originally Posted by RobC4sX51
+1. Or you can do a Sharkwerks center muffler bypass and get a good sound and maybe a little more HP/T as PSE gives you neither! Just saying.
SW bypass does not give you the functionality of the PSE (on/off switch for the exhaust flaps).

Of course there's no reason not to do both -- PSE and an aftermarket bypass (of which I don't consider SW the best out there).
Old 02-24-2015, 02:15 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 233 Likes on 125 Posts

If it's an S, as mentioned, it will have PASM. PASM Sport (which you don't mention that you have on your 2007) is the same electronics, etc. of PASM, only the actual mechanical springs are 10mm (0.4") shorter than PASM and commensurately stiffer. Obviously, retrofitting Sport springs to this car (or any springs, H&R, etc.) is not a big deal if you decide you want to have them now or in the future.
Old 02-24-2015, 03:14 PM
waizone
Rennlist Member

So cars with "sport" suspension sit a a bit little lower? Also, looks like cars with this option have a larger "front lip spoiler"?
Old 02-24-2015, 03:16 PM
waizone
Rennlist Member

And I do have "sport" on my current car, however unless the road is absolutely perfect I rarely use it as the car rides too stiff.
Old 02-24-2015, 03:25 PM
LexVan
Banned

Originally Posted by waizone
So cars with "sport" suspension sit a a bit little lower? Also, looks like cars with this option have a larger "front lip spoiler"?
Correct. 10 mm lower than an S car with PASM. And the more pronounced black lip.

Old 02-24-2015, 03:32 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Originally Posted by waizone
And I do have "sport" on my current car, however unless the road is absolutely perfect I rarely use it as the car rides too stiff.
No, sorry, but it's confusing.

"Sport" is a button you get with PASM. Any 991 S you get will have PASM, and will therefore have the "Sport" button.

But there is also an option on the S that is called PASM Sport. (Also shorthanded as SPASM on the internet sometimes.) PASM Sport has all those same settings (buttons) as PASM, but it also has the lower stiffer springs. This is just a full-time mechanical old-skool lowering spring. Nothing to do with your "Sport " button on the console.

So to compare PASM to PASM Sport, think of it this way (with the numbers representing levels of stiffness and responsiveness of the shocks):

PASM:
normal = 1
Sport = 2
Sport + = 3

PASM Sport:
normal = 2
Sport = 3
Sport + = 4
Old 02-24-2015, 03:44 PM
BCMgunner
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

Anyone know where to get springs 0.4 inches lower?

All the aftermarket lowering springs I have found seem to be about 1 inch.

Also, if you use the 0.4 inch lower springs will the ride still drop another 0.4 inches when "sport" is selected on a standard PASM 991S?
Old 02-24-2015, 03:49 PM
LexVan
Banned

Originally Posted by BCMgunner
Anyone know where to get springs 0.4 inches lower? All the aftermarket lowering springs I have found seem to be about 1 inch. Also, if you use the 0.4 inch lower springs will the ride still drop another 0.4 inches when "sport" is selected on a standard PASM 991S?
I don't know. But a SPASM car is not a "dynamic" system. Is does not move. It's set. Base on different coils.

Old 02-24-2015, 03:49 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Ride doesn't drop, ever, on any 911, with any options, when you push any button. Shocks firm up, and many other things, but there is no changing ride height unless you downgrade to a Cayenne.

And the only way to get that little of a drop (.4") that I know of would be with OEM springs. There will be part numbers for the front and rear springs in a car with PASM Sport; it will be different than the numbers for a car with just PASM, and they're both different part numbers from a car without PASM (which would be a Carrera, not a Carrera S. But not all Carreras -- AFAIK you can still option a Carrera up to PASM if you want it.)

But you should be able to build a PASM Sport from a car with just PASM by simply changing the springs to OEM Sport springs.

It will be pricey -- the option added on the GTS I just ordered was $840, iirc. As a replacement part they're probably more than that, but I'm just speculating.
Old 02-24-2015, 07:14 PM
waizone
Rennlist Member

Thanks for all of the explanations. If I'm understanding it correctly, I can add PSE at the dealer and either add OEM or aftermarket springs and have essentially a car that sits as low as a car with Sport suspension (believe its called PASM sport on the configurator)?

Asking price is $87,000 and figure $4K to add the above so not looking like a great deal?
Old 02-25-2015, 12:33 AM
blinsc
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
But you should be able to build a PASM Sport from a car with just PASM by simply changing the springs to OEM Sport springs.
What about a camber adjustment? Would that be needed as well, or is the difference (0.4") small enough to make it not entirely necessary?

Quick Reply: 2013 Carrera S - Some Questions