Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991 Suspension. What cars share suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 03:00 PM
ZachMartin
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 991 Suspension. What cars share suspension?

Curious as to ride comfort! Has anyone felt the difference between a CS or C4s and any of the GTS models. Curious as to overall ride comfort difference. Any input would be appreciated! thanks. Older gentleman (client of mine) is curious as to the comfort difference and I have never really noticed a difference. I'm 26 so ride comfort isn't something I typically pay too much attention to. I'd assume as long as they are both PASM equipped the ride would be very similar and the major difference would come in Rubber quality and type.
Old 02-23-2015, 12:04 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 233 Likes on 125 Posts

The main differentiator is going to be whether you have Sport PASM or just PASM. the "Sport" actually changes out the springs to be 10mm lower than with PASM, and commensurately stiffer.

Three choices:
No PASM -- Ride height = "X"

PASM -- Ride height = X - 10mm

PASM Sport -- Ride height = X - 20mm.

That roughly equals the order of comfort, also.

As for the models, S can be had with any of these three. GTS can be had only with PASM or PASM Sport (also referred to as SPASM sometimes.)
Old 02-23-2015, 12:47 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
The main differentiator is going to be whether you have Sport PASM or just PASM. the "Sport" actually changes out the springs to be 10mm lower than with PASM, and commensurately stiffer.

Three choices:
No PASM -- Ride height = "X"

PASM -- Ride height = X - 10mm

PASM Sport -- Ride height = X - 20mm.

That roughly equals the order of comfort, also.

As for the models, S can be had with any of these three. GTS can be had only with PASM or PASM Sport (also referred to as SPASM sometimes.)
Are you sure? The S comes standard with PASM and I don't recall seeing a PASM delete option.
Old 02-23-2015, 01:09 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Originally Posted by GSIRM3
Are you sure? The S comes standard with PASM and I don't recall seeing a PASM delete option.
I'm not sure; I heard that from somebody, but didn't check it out as I was ordering a GTS. I believe it was true on 997S, but even then my memory could be wrong about that.

So, if S comes only with PASM then to get non-PASM requires Carrera 3.4.
Old 02-23-2015, 01:27 PM
Galion
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Theres no PASM delete option in the S.
Cant get SPASM in the cab either.
Old 02-23-2015, 02:18 PM
Vise
Drifting

Received 328 Likes on 202 Posts

Not sure how relevant this is but my new GTS has SPASM and I must say the ride is quite comfortable with PASM in standard/comfort mode. Actually noticeably better than my old C63 lowered on H&R springs.

I can't say I notice a significant difference from the C2S with PASM I test drove back in October but it has been quite a while....
Old 02-23-2015, 02:22 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Originally Posted by Vise
Not sure how relevant this is but my new GTS has SPASM and I must say the ride is quite comfortable with PASM in standard/comfort mode. Actually noticeably better than my old C63 lowered on H&R springs.

I can't say I notice a significant difference from the C2S with PASM I test drove back in October but it has been quite a while....
I got to test drive new 991Ss back to back, with and without SPASM, because I wanted to know the answer to that question. With both in default position (most comfortable), driving the same roads chosen specifically because of some rattly pavement, I just couldn't tell the difference, at least with a 10-15-minute gap between drives. Both were much more comfortable than my Turbo on H&Rs; I'm sure somebody who was very familiar with the 991 PASM platform, who then tried a 991 with SPASM, could tell the difference. But it's subtle, to be sure.

But I had no trouble deciding to go SPASM after that.
Old 02-23-2015, 03:24 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
I got to test drive new 991Ss back to back, with and without SPASM, because I wanted to know the answer to that question. With both in default position (most comfortable), driving the same roads chosen specifically because of some rattly pavement, I just couldn't tell the difference, at least with a 10-15-minute gap between drives. Both were much more comfortable than my Turbo on H&Rs; I'm sure somebody who was very familiar with the 991 PASM platform, who then tried a 991 with SPASM, could tell the difference. But it's subtle, to be sure.

But I had no trouble deciding to go SPASM after that.
Another vote here for SPASM. I have it on my 991 GTS and ride quality is fine, much better then the ride on my 997 GTS with SPASM. The extra 10mm of lowering compared to PASM makes the car look so much better also.
Old 02-23-2015, 06:16 PM
eg991
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had SPASM on my '13 C2S and also thought the ride quality if just fine. In Sport+ mode with the stiffer suspension activated, it's a bit stiff, buy hey . . . it's a sports car. And the suspension settings are adaptable anyway. Agree that SPASM gives the car a more attractive (lower) stance.

Quick Reply: 991 Suspension. What cars share suspension?