Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

a week with my new 991S

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 09:42 PM
Grunty
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Aren't the Michelin alpins and the sottozeroes just winter tires as opposed to snow tires? Not as aggressive treads but compound appropriate for cold.
Old 02-23-2015, 11:31 PM
Still restless
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hawc
I might try this. Does it really make a difference? I'm running the softer comfort pressure now and I wouldn't want to go too soft as I'd be worried about punctures seeing as how low profile they already are.
It does work, but it won't be night vs day difference. It won't turn the PAs into Hakkas. But, it may be enough to make the PAs a bit more tolerable in snow. I wouldn't go too low (i.e., less than 30 psi) as that may create more problems than it's solving.
Old 02-23-2015, 11:38 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 233 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Still restless
It does work, but it won't be night vs day difference. It won't turn the PAs into Hakkas. But, it may be enough to make the PAs a bit more tolerable in snow. I wouldn't go too low (i.e., less than 30 psi) as that may create more problems than it's solving.
It certainly works in the off-road world. I run my Wrangler MTs at 36-38 on the road, but in mud or sand bleed them down to 12-14. Not only is it more comfortable, it makes for a ton more traction. Very noticeable difference.

Of course, anything close to that number on a Porsche on the street is asking to roll a tire off a rim, but if you know you're going to be mostly or totally in snow, I'd run them at 25psi, since there's so little relative traction anyway.

Down here, when it snows, there are no plows except for the interstates, so you are on snow the whole time you're on surface streets.

Of course, the last thing I'd do is take out my Porsche on the day it snows every other year!
Old 02-24-2015, 07:55 AM
the2thdr
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OP, thanks for the long response. I used Hakkapallita 8 studded on my X5M and I drove it pretty hard. Honestly, didn't detect a lot of squirm. I am also currently running the new R2's, but on a very stock based 2002 Honda Civic. So I can't say that I am pulling insane lateral g forces...lol.

Still have lots of time to pull the trigger on winter rubber for next season for my C4 GTS. But after reading this, kind of leading towards the Hakkas.

Quick Reply: a week with my new 991S