Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

a week with my new 991S

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2015 | 08:56 PM
joey c
Pro

Default a week with my new 991S

even though we have had some snow,I have been out in the car. There are a few things about the car that really stand out..Everything about the 911 seems upgraded from the 981CS..The full leather seems better in the 911..The seats seem better..the cup holder hatch seems to be much sturdier..
I am very happy that I decided to do this..The 981CS is a wonderful little car but this is on a whole other playing field for sure..It is A LOT faster for sure..its also very usable power..I love the way the car drives down the street,it just feels amazing..it reminds me of all my other 911s over the years..i do wish I had kept my 87 3.2(bad move selling it)..
Old 02-19-2015 | 09:00 PM
Bigalfromfl
Rennlist Member

Sounds like you are enjoying it! Snow and all! Good for you!
Old 02-19-2015 | 09:56 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Here you people go, pissing me off. This time last year I ordered a Wrangler. Took six weeks order-to-delivery. EVERY FREAKING PERSON ON THE INTERNET took delivery of their Wrangler during those six weeks.

And now, with a GTS still 37 days from being built, much less delivered, it's starting all over again.
Old 02-20-2015 | 12:31 AM
hawc
Racer

Originally Posted by joey c
Everything about the 991 seems upgraded from the 981.The cup holder hatch seems to be much sturdier. The 981 is a wonderful car but this is on a whole other playing field.
Next level cup holders.
Old 02-23-2015 | 12:37 AM
Sharm
Pro

Originally Posted by joey c
even though we have had some snow,I have been out in the car. There are a few things about the car that really stand out..Everything about the 911 seems upgraded from the 981CS..The full leather seems better in the 911..The seats seem better..the cup holder hatch seems to be much sturdier..
I am very happy that I decided to do this..The 981CS is a wonderful little car but this is on a whole other playing field for sure..It is A LOT faster for sure..its also very usable power..I love the way the car drives down the street,it just feels amazing..it reminds me of all my other 911s over the years..i do wish I had kept my 87 3.2(bad move selling it)..
Driving in the snow with the new 911! I applaud you! If only I were so brave here in metro DC.
Old 02-23-2015 | 10:29 AM
hawc
Racer

Originally Posted by Sharm
Driving in the snow with the new 911! I applaud you!
I love driving my new 991 in the snow!

Old 02-23-2015 | 10:39 AM
joey c
Pro

you have snow tires on?
Old 02-23-2015 | 10:44 AM
hawc
Racer

Of course. I've got the Porsche recommend Michelin Pilot Alpins. 20" 295 snows. They're okay, not great, but they do the job.
Old 02-23-2015 | 11:08 AM
the2thdr
Instructor

Originally Posted by hawc
Of course. I've got the Porsche recommend Michelin Pilot Alpins. 20" 295 snows. They're okay, not great, but they do the job.
How deep snow have you take the Michelins through? PA4's?

I love Michelins, but tried out both the Hakkapallita 8 studded and the R2 this year on my wife's 335 (Hakka 8's) and an old civic we have (R2's). I have been pretty impressed with both. I believe that Porsche uses the Nokian's at their winter driving school, but I don't believe that they are actually an approved tire.

Love to get your feedback.
Old 02-23-2015 | 12:04 PM
hawc
Racer

Exclamation

Kinda disappointed in the Michelins to be honest. And I've tried Contis and Dunlops on other Porsches as well. None of them are great. It's funny, you read, the reviews on TireRack.com and they're all like, "AMAZING! BEST WINTER TIRE EVER!" And I'm like, really??? Really??? They're not. They're okay. They're decent. They'll get you through most snow without too much slipping and sliding, but they're not that impressive.

I ran the Hakkas (non-studded) on my Cayman a few years back and those were incredible. The traction was out of this world for snow tires. I really couldn't believe how great they were.

The trade-off of course is that they were soft as hell and super squirmy in the dry. As soon as you got on cold dry roads they were all mushy and wobbly. They made cornering hard in the dry an impossibility. But in the snow they were awesome.

So... that's the trade-off and I guess Porsche's OEM reco for snow tires just leans super heavily to the cold dry roads rather than snow side of things.

It actually has nothing to do with the depth of the snow either. On Saturday the ground was cold and it was -4C. we got about 2 inches of snow but it was super slippery greasy snow. I could not stop and could barely get going on level ground with the Porsche OEM reco Michelin Alpins. They slipped all over the place. It was downright scary and frustrating.

Now part of it might be that 20" wide snow tires are never going to be great, but next year I'm definitely considering going Hakka.

At the same time however, the roads in Toronto are 98% of the time clear in the winter, so do you buy squirmy snow tires for the 2% of the days you really need them and have them not so great in the dry for the rest? Or do you buy the tires that are great in the dry, but are nearly useless for 2% of the time.

Sorry for the long rambling response, but I think about this a lot and it bugs me.

I've tried ALL the snow tires out there and the only truly great ones are Hakkas, everything else is simply adequate.
Old 02-23-2015 | 04:37 PM
Still restless
Instructor

At the same time however, the roads in Toronto are 98% of the time clear in the winter, so do you buy squirmy snow tires for the 2% of the days you really need them and have them not so great in the dry for the rest? Or do you buy the tires that are great in the dry, but are nearly useless for 2% of the time.

Sorry for the long rambling response, but I think about this a lot and it bugs me.

I've tried ALL the snow tires out there and the only truly great ones are Hakkas, everything else is simply adequate.[/QUOTE]

My understanding is that nothing beats Nokian Hakkas in snow. But, on dry roads, you do give up handling and feel vs tires more geared toward dry roads. As a way to tweak the balance/compromise toward more traction in snow, have you tried lowering the air pressure by a few pounds when there is snow? I spend a lot more time on dry vs snow-covered roads in northern NJ, so am reluctant to shift the balance all the way toward snow traction, which is why I have PA3s on my S4.
Old 02-23-2015 | 06:09 PM
joey c
Pro

so i guess next year i will get snow tires..do i buy 19s or 20s..19s should be better in the snow.
Old 02-23-2015 | 06:12 PM
eg991
Three Wheelin'

Check to make sure that 19"s fit over the larger rotors/ calipers on a S model. I think they do, but make sure. I've got snow tires on 20" wheels (PA4s) and I find that they're pretty good in the snow. And their handling on cold, dry pavement is really excellent. You won't feel like you're riding on a snow tire.
Old 02-23-2015 | 08:11 PM
hawc
Racer

Originally Posted by eg991
I've got snow tires on 20" wheels (PA4s) and I find their handling on cold, dry pavement is really excellent. You won't feel like you're riding on a snow tire.
Agree.
Old 02-23-2015 | 08:14 PM
hawc
Racer

Originally Posted by Still restless
Have you tried lowering the air pressure by a few pounds when there is snow?
I might try this. Does it really make a difference? I'm running the softer comfort pressure now and I wouldn't want to go too soft as I'd be worried about punctures seeing as how low profile they already are.

Quick Reply: a week with my new 991S