Sponsored by:

Failure 6 miles after service work...

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2015, 01:14 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 222 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
Let me give you some idea just how far they were from having those bolts "torqued up and signed off by the mechanic."

Back when I was doing autocross or track every weekend I was also changing wheels and brake pads before and after every event. One time just before driving home from autocross I noticed the left rear felt loose pulling into the Texaco. Turns out I had completely forgotten to torque my wheels. I would always give each nut a good hard snap, probably about 40 lbs worth, then lower and torque. This time, no torque. Yet I was able to drive 90 miles to Bremerton, do 4 autocross runs, and go for gas before one wheel loosened enough to notice.

Your car made it less than 4 miles.

Torqued, my @.
My recollection is that lug nuts are torqued at 96 lb/ft for a 991. It's not that easy to loosen a properly torqued lug nut with a wrench, sometimes a breaker bar is required, much less having the lug nuts just loosen by themselves. I always use a wrench to initially tighten the lug nuts, and then follow up with a torque wrench. I expect that in this incident the lug nuts were hand tightened, and then the tech got distracted and forgot to use a torque wrench.
Old 02-20-2015, 01:27 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,413 Likes on 2,516 Posts

Originally Posted by fast1
My recollection is that lug nuts are torqued at 96 lb/ft for a 991. It's not that easy to loosen a properly torqued lug nut with a wrench, sometimes a breaker bar is required, much less having the lug nuts just loosen by themselves. I always use a wrench to initially tighten the lug nuts, and then follow up with a torque wrench. I expect that in this incident the lug nuts were hand tightened, and then the tech got distracted and forgot to use a torque wrench.
It's now 118 ft.lbs for the 991's 20 inch wheels. And it's a bitch to break those wheel bolts loose. Hurts my hands. About 2 weeks ago, I bought a 24 inch piece of 3/4 black pipe at the hardware store to slip over my Craftsman 1/2 drive wrench. Works great.
Old 02-20-2015, 01:43 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 222 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
It's now 118 ft.lbs for the 991's 20 inch wheels. And it's a bitch to break those wheel bolts loose. Hurts my hands. About 2 weeks ago, I bought a 24 inch piece of 3/4 black pipe at the hardware store to slip over my Craftsman 1/2 drive wrench. Works great.
Thanks. Good to know. My wife has an Audi S5, and a couple of weeks ago she ran over a deep pot hole which damaged one of her tires. Fortunately this happened about four miles from our home, so she was able to drive home. I initially tried to remove the lug nuts with the wrench provided by Audi, but they wouldn't budge. Fortunately I have a breaker bar which enabled me to remove the lug nuts. For properly torqued lug nuts to loosen by themselves is beyond ridiculous.
Old 02-20-2015, 02:46 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,222 Likes on 739 Posts

Originally Posted by roadrat
I now always carry a torque wrench when our cars go in the shop. 70 miles after leaving Discount Tire, my wife's wheel came loose (not off) at speed causing vibration which pulled her into the wall adjacent to the highway. She was fine. Car, not sustained $7k in damage. And it ain't driven the same since the repairs.
That's awful - and that's their business - to take off and put on wheels. I am assuming Discount Tires paid for the repairs?
Old 02-20-2015, 05:48 PM
rlhyde
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

"Porsche said the wheel bolts had been torqued up and signed off by the mechanic."

That falls under the heading of "Total BS." What a surprise that the mechanic said he did nothing wrong. Who would have guessed he would deny it?

The least they could do is take responsibility for their negligence.
Old 02-20-2015, 08:25 PM
OMG Noooooo....
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They have now swapped the GTS for a new C4s convertible which I can have until mine is fully repaired. They say it should be all done by next Wednesday....

I do hope this will work in my favour for a PTS GTS for September/October this year.
Old 02-21-2015, 11:19 AM
apias
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by rlhyde
"Porsche said the wheel bolts had been torqued up and signed off by the mechanic."

That falls under the heading of "Total BS." What a surprise that the mechanic said he did nothing wrong. Who would have guessed he would deny it?

The least they could do is take responsibility for their negligence.
Well, no doubt the mechanic signed off on it, but "signing off" on something isn't proof that it was done, just someone saying they did it. The mechanic obviously forgot the important part of torquing and signing off. The most probable explanation is that he got interrupted somewhere in the process, and instead of checking them to be sure of whether he had really done them all, he just went with his "memory" that he had done that wheel and signed off on it. Never trust your memory when you are interrupted in the middle of doing something.
Old 02-21-2015, 12:36 PM
dflowerz
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

This is so disappointing! I have had frustrating experiences with motorcycle shops and assumed that car repair shops would be better, but to not be able to trust a Porsche repair shop means there is no hope.....
Old 02-21-2015, 08:55 PM
trysixty
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

This reminds me of Seattle dealer incident about 18 months ago where the Porsche mechanic left an oily rag on the 991 engine after an oil change. Car caught fire shortly afterwards when owner drove it......I believe owner was ok but car a disaster! Not sure on all details but dealership tried to deny it initially I believe. Guy probably is a Ferrari owner now. Lucky it wasn't Russell Wilson's car (dealer ad spokesman).
Old 02-21-2015, 10:17 PM
roadrat
Pro

Received 76 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
That's awful - and that's their business - to take off and put on wheels. I am assuming Discount Tires paid for the repairs?
They did not. They sent a manager to the house who confirmed that the bolts were loose on both sides. I have him on video testing them. Corporate then denied any wrongdoing. I ate the deductible. State Farm went after them but I haven't heard anything so I assume they were unsuccessful.

I'm boycotting Discount Tire.
Old 02-22-2015, 12:20 AM
kaution321
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rlhyde
"Porsche said the wheel bolts had been torqued up and signed off by the mechanic." That falls under the heading of "Total BS." What a surprise that the mechanic said he did nothing wrong. Who would have guessed he would deny it? The least they could do is take responsibility for their negligence.

After they repair the car I would trade it back to the dealer for another new 991. Let the dealer cover the depreciation for their negligence. If they don't agree seek legal advice.
Old 02-22-2015, 02:27 PM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by kaution321
After they repair the car I would trade it back to the dealer for another new 991. Let the dealer cover the depreciation for their negligence. If they don't agree seek legal advice.
My approach would be along these lines. Their negligence caused significant damage to your current model year car. You better have a real good look if you don't believe loosing a wheel caused significant damage, you stated that the fender doesn't line up with the other body panels. You don't know how much over stress occurred to the suspension components. Short of replacing every component on the affected corner, I would be after a replacement car either from stock or ordered.

Ryan
Old 02-22-2015, 10:19 PM
Powereng
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to hear about this but glad no one was hurt, I would hate to think what the outcome could have been at 70+ , may want to take the mechanic for the first test drive once it's back, as others have said, hope there is no other damage that was not discovered.
Good luck
Old 02-23-2015, 11:09 AM
budrichard
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

First, I would find another Dealership for service work and any future purchases.
Quality Assurance says that when you find one problem, you are just viewing the tip of the ice berg.-Richard

Quick Reply: Failure 6 miles after service work...