Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Failure 6 miles after service work...

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 02:27 PM
OMG Noooooo....
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think that this will be reported as an accident. I don't expect any long term detrimental affect to the value of the car. I think all the effort is being in put because they are embarrassed by the situation and they want to make me happy so I don't pursue it any further.

As long as my car comes back in the same condition it was in before the incident and it does not cost me any time and money I will be happy.

It may have been Porsche's screw up but I am alive to write about it and no one else was hurt either.

And hey now I have a good bargaining chip for the next purchase...

Thanks.
Old 02-19-2015, 02:35 PM
911sccab
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Years ago, I had a 5-speed Taurus SHO. It was in my buddy's shop. He was the owner, very experienced, and I watched him properly torque all 5 bolts on all 4 factory Ford aluminum wheels.

Two weeks later, in bitter cold weather, I experienced the same thing as posted by the OP.

Now, I'm not saying somebody at this dealership didn't mess up, but let's not be too quick to get all high and mighty... sometimes stuff happens. If I hadn't seen it I wouldn't have believed it, but it all made quite the memory. Just because something went wrong doesn't automatically mean somebody was an idiot.
Old 02-19-2015, 02:41 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,407 Likes on 2,514 Posts

Originally Posted by 911sccab
Years ago, I had a 5-speed Taurus SHO. It was in my buddy's shop. He was the owner, very experienced, and I watched him properly torque all 5 bolts on all 4 factory Ford aluminum wheels. Two weeks later, in bitter cold weather, I experienced the same thing as posted by the OP. Now, I'm not saying somebody at this dealership didn't mess up, but let's not be too quick to get all high and mighty... sometimes stuff happens. If I hadn't seen it I wouldn't have believed it, but it all made quite the memory. Just because something went wrong doesn't automatically mean somebody was an idiot.
Almost all wheel/tire paperwork I've ever seen says to re torque wheel bolts/lugs after X number of miles.

I do on my cars, after the first real drive.

May have helped the SHO.

Not so much for our OP. Sorry to hear. You have a great attitude.

The dealership did poor work and QA/QC. And then gave even worse advice to drive back. They should have dispatched a flatbed, or at least a Service Tech with a few tools.

Sent from my iPhone using Rennlist
Old 02-19-2015, 02:42 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Years ago, I had a 5-speed Taurus SHO. It was in my buddy's shop. He was the owner, very experienced, and I watched him properly torque all 5 bolts on all 4 factory Ford aluminum wheels. Two weeks later, in bitter cold weather, I experienced the same thing as posted by the OP. Now, I'm not saying somebody at this dealership didn't mess up, but let's not be too quick to get all high and mighty... sometimes stuff happens. If I hadn't seen it I wouldn't have believed it, but it all made quite the memory. Just because something went wrong doesn't automatically mean somebody was an idiot.
Or someone loosened them?

5 bolts all come off after properly torqued after 2 weeks? Only one one wheel? Seems impossible.
Old 02-19-2015, 03:01 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Years ago, I had a 5-speed Taurus SHO. It was in my buddy's shop. He was the owner, very experienced, and I watched him properly torque all 5 bolts on all 4 factory Ford aluminum wheels.

Two weeks later, in bitter cold weather, I experienced the same thing as posted by the OP.

Now, I'm not saying somebody at this dealership didn't mess up, but let's not be too quick to get all high and mighty... sometimes stuff happens. If I hadn't seen it I wouldn't have believed it, but it all made quite the memory. Just because something went wrong doesn't automatically mean somebody was an idiot.
I'd say your buddy needs a new torque wrench. If bolts came off when the weather got cold, then the towing companies in my area would be doing a banner business since the temperatures were in the single digits all week and the forecast is for 4 degrees below zero tomorrow morning.

This dealership made two horrendous mistakes. The first was to not tighten the bolts, and the second was to have the owner drive the car back to the dealership. When the bolts are loose enough to cause a vibration after four miles, then it's highly likely that they were only tightened by hand. That car should have immediately been driven to a safe spot and parked. Actually the dealership made a third mistake: offer the owner an Audi instead of a Porsche.

The owner is entitled to a lot more compensation than merely having his car repaired. The dealer's carelessness could have caused the driver and others to be seriously injured.
Old 02-19-2015, 03:03 PM
Michael_s
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by OMG Noooooo....
but Porsche said the wheel bolts had been torqued up and signed off by the mechanic.
Ah I don't think so..... liars. Glad nobody was hurt.
Old 02-19-2015, 03:37 PM
BruceSA
Advanced

Am I the only one here who thinks the driver should have pulled off to check what was causing the vibration and possibly prevented the wheel coming off? Irrespective of whether or not the mechanic screwed up?
Old 02-19-2015, 03:44 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by BruceSA
Am I the only one here who thinks the driver should have pulled off to check what was causing the vibration and possibly prevented the wheel coming off? Irrespective of whether or not the mechanic screwed up?
In hindsight there are many different scenarios that could have happened with different people.

Would I have pulled over, probably. Do I think everyone would have, no. Who knows where/how it all went down.

At the end of the day the DEALER is the one to BLAME.

One by the initial f-up, and two by telling him to drive it back.
Old 02-19-2015, 03:50 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,604 Likes on 2,343 Posts

with 20/20 hindsight maybe, but it could have been as simple as some wheel balance weights missing etc ...

probably good advice in any case to do so...
Old 02-19-2015, 03:51 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Things are looking up... A nice Carmine red 991 GTS has just pulled up outside the house. Its the same GTS I tested for a few hours a month back. So now I can try it out a bit more...
SPANK IT! Drive it like you stole it
Old 02-19-2015, 03:58 PM
BruceSA
Advanced

Default Gts

Things are looking up... A nice Carmine red 991 GTS has just pulled up outside the house. Its the same GTS I tested for a few hours a month back. So now I can try it out a bit more...
Originally Posted by Larry Cable
SPANK IT! Drive it like you stole it
Now I get it, OMG loosened the nuts himself so he could get a GTS loaner....
Old 02-19-2015, 04:00 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Now I get it, OMG loosened the nuts himself so he could get a GTS loaner....
Sssshhh ... I can just see the headline now...

"Porsche mechanics worldwide cannot seem to torque their lug nuts..."
Old 02-19-2015, 04:32 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,194 Likes on 717 Posts

This is really scary stuff. You can't even take you car to a Porsche service center without worrying if they put your wheels on properly. Geez. Maybe the future is this -- "Torqued wheels to specifications -- $200." Sad, just sad.
Old 02-19-2015, 06:16 PM
eg991
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
This is really scary stuff. You can't even take you car to a Porsche service center without worrying if they put your wheels on properly. Geez. Maybe the future is this -- "Torqued wheels to specifications -- $200." Sad, just sad.
You bet, and $400 for center lock wheels!

OP, glad you're safe, and enjoy your epic loaner car.
Old 02-19-2015, 06:36 PM
Grunty
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

I wonder what the response would have been had this happened at a lower volume type of dealership like ferarri. Same bull****?

Quick Reply: Failure 6 miles after service work...