Sponsored by:

Where will Porsche be in 5 years

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 10:43 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
Not hyperbole -- based on your wanting it to compete in the AM DB9 market. Part of that cushy ride comes from the greater mass.

I'm curious about the reasons behind you saying the 981 is more like your 2.2 than the 991. It doesn't weigh any less similarly equipped. It is a wee bit shorter, but both still dwarf a long-hood, and the 981 is much closer to the 991 in every way than it is to the original 911.

But what it lacks is the distinctive rear-engine handling traits; this is what those of us who revere the 911 want. Sure, much of that has been tamed out of the current platform, but I've owned 911s and Boxsters of the same generation, and all I can say is, in the corners a 911 is still a 911. It is a characteristic that I value greatly, and in fact, as good as the middies are, they're just another mid-engined car. Sure, I'm happy they exist and I wouldn't mind owning a 981 flavor, but it wouldn't replace the 911 in my playbook. And neither does an AM-type 911 if it weighs what AMs weigh.
1. Cushy ride - how does a car's mass have anything to do with providing a cushy ride? The cushy ride comes from a car's suspension setup and shocks, not its mass. The mass of most cars providing a cushy ride comes from their size, large 8 cylinder engines, and their use of steel and not light weight metals.

2.Base Curb weights without options - curb weight of a MT 981 Boxster is 2888 lbs; a MT 991 cab has a curb weight 3197 lbs. That's a difference of over 300 lbs or over 10% which is certainly significant.

3. Handling - Actually about the only thing that a 991 has in common with a 911E is that they both have their engines in the rear. The handling of those cars is significantly different, as is almost everything else about the cars. My recollection is that my 911E had a curb weight of around 2200 lbs , had about a 150 HP, and severely oversteered when pushed near its limits. The 911E was also very spartan, and it's that characteristic that it has in common with the 981, more so than the 991 which is a highly refined sports car.

Quick Reply: Where will Porsche be in 5 years