Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need opinion: agate grey c4s with espresso/cognac or black/platinum?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2015, 09:42 AM
eschw999
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need opinion: agate grey c4s with espresso/cognac or black/platinum?

what do you all think?
...espresso cognac is beautiful and rich looking, but not sure about the contrast between the grey and the browns....seems almost more sedan like to me...? black and greys more purposeful....?
have about a week to decide before lock-in!
thank you!
Old 02-12-2015, 09:56 AM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 233 Likes on 125 Posts

I've seen E/C on a white cab and it is very nice looking. Would work on a dark gray, but perhaps not as well. I'll be honest -- I agree that it is more sedan-like. It works better with the Cab because that has more of a GT look to it somehow.

If it were me, Black/Platinum would be the choice.

Actually, I'm ordering this weekend and it will be Black/Carrera Red/deviated-black-carpet for me. But that's not for everyone.

Old 02-12-2015, 09:58 AM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 144 Posts

Easy for me - espresso/cognac.

There's just nothing special about grey over black/platinum. I admit that I'm off black interiors right now, but that combo is unimaginative to my eye. Grey over espresso/cognac will be very distinct, but as you're saying, a bit more luxury than sport. Also, agate has a lot of brown in it, so it blends very well.

If you want a more sporting look, would you consider agate over black/garnet? Very sporty and looks great with carbon fiber.
Old 02-12-2015, 10:00 AM
sfo
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

agate grey and espresso/cognac .. too many brown/beige hues competing for attention.

espresso/cognac is a stunning interior, would go well with GT Silver, rhodium silver, carrara white metallic, dark blue metallic, carmine red and possibly guard reds .. IMHO
The following users liked this post:
Charles Everson (04-22-2021)
Old 02-12-2015, 01:23 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,621 Likes on 2,352 Posts

blk/platinum ... just say no to brown of any hue
Old 02-12-2015, 02:16 PM
Cheekymonkeyman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just posted pics of mine in another thread with a similar title... Should be bumped to the top of the board right about now...
Old 02-12-2015, 02:45 PM
eschw999
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thank you for responses
Old 02-12-2015, 03:08 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,112 Likes on 669 Posts

Read the threads about natural leather interiors before you decide. The differences don't stop at the colors.
I went with Anthracite/Espresso/Cognac, but Agate was my second choice. I think it matches the Anthracite a little better than the Agate. My third choice was GT Silver/Espresso.
Larry's a brown hater, BTW. That's fine, of course, since we all have our own biases.
I must say, if they offered a natural leather in black, my selection may have been different. But they don't.
Old 02-12-2015, 03:48 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,621 Likes on 2,352 Posts

Originally Posted by Keadog
Read the threads about natural leather interiors before you decide. The differences don't stop at the colors.
I went with Anthracite/Espresso/Cognac, but Agate was my second choice. I think it matches the Anthracite a little better than the Agate. My third choice was GT Silver/Espresso.
Larry's a brown hater, BTW. That's fine, of course, since we all have our own biases.
I must say, if they offered a natural leather in black, my selection may have been different. But they don't.
its TRUE ... friends don't let friends go brown...
Old 02-12-2015, 04:18 PM
911sccab
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Color is so subjective it's silly to argue about. However, most leather is naturally brown and I think it's hard to criticize how God made it. Maybe you're smarter? Doesn't mean the different colors are bad, and I'm not generally a fan of brown, but on leather it usually looks, well, natural.

We're ordering Espresso & Cognac btw... and there's more to it than just the color!
Old 02-12-2015, 05:56 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Don't know if there are differences now, but the last time I had a Natural leather I also had a regular leather at the same time. I had a 2002 996TT (Natural Grey) and a 2004 Boxster S550 (Cocoa). Both cars were Full Leather.

At 45,000 miles the Boxster leather looked better than the Natural Grey did at 18,000. The Natural Grey had started crazing a bit on the drivers side bolster, the lower part. The Boxster, not so. Or I should rephrase that: the Boxster was "crazing" like leather will do, but the tiny cracks were still brown. The Natural Grey on the Turbo had fewer crazing lines, but they showed white in the cracks. Which is weird because the Natural leathers are supposed to be Aniline died, which is supposed to impart color all the way through rather than just on the surface. :shrug: Didn't seem to work in my case.

Not a big deal in either case, but I absolutely would never pay for one of Porsche's "Natural" leathers unless that was the only way to get a color I wanted, and then I'd grumble about it.
Old 02-12-2015, 07:25 PM
eg991
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should also consider black/red with Agate. IMHO it works really nicely.
Attached Images      
Old 02-12-2015, 07:50 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

^^ Sweet! Just what I'm ordering on Saturday, only with GT Silver. I love seeing pictures of it though!
Old 02-12-2015, 09:54 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,112 Likes on 669 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
Don't know if there are differences now, but the last time I had a Natural leather I also had a regular leather at the same time. I had a 2002 996TT (Natural Grey) and a 2004 Boxster S550 (Cocoa). Both cars were Full Leather.

At 45,000 miles the Boxster leather looked better than the Natural Grey did at 18,000. The Natural Grey had started crazing a bit on the drivers side bolster, the lower part. The Boxster, not so. Or I should rephrase that: the Boxster was "crazing" like leather will do, but the tiny cracks were still brown. The Natural Grey on the Turbo had fewer crazing lines, but they showed white in the cracks. Which is weird because the Natural leathers are supposed to be Aniline died, which is supposed to impart color all the way through rather than just on the surface. :shrug: Didn't seem to work in my case.

Not a big deal in either case, but I absolutely would never pay for one of Porsche's "Natural" leathers unless that was the only way to get a color I wanted, and then I'd grumble about it.
Natural leather uses the full thickness of the hide, so they can't use any piece with surface imperfections. Regular leather is "shaved" to remove surface imperfections so, among other things, it's thinner. There are excellent threads here that explain it far better and in better detail than I just did, but I'm too lazy to look them up since my natural leather car is at the dealer. I would encourage you to search them out.
I'm surprised Eduardo hasnt chimed in to help out. His Porsche Exclusive thread at the top is an incredible resource. Long to read now, but so much great info on what for most people is a major purchase. When I read about the process and the product, it made the upcharge for natural leather seem like a (relative) bargain to me.
Old 02-12-2015, 10:09 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Natural leather uses the full thickness of the hide, so they can't use any piece with surface imperfections. Regular leather is "shaved" to remove surface imperfections so, among other things, it's thinner. There are excellent threads here that explain it far better and in better detail than I just did, but I'm too lazy to look them up since my natural leather car is at the dealer. I would encourage you to search them out.
I'm surprised Eduardo hasnt chimed in to help out. His Porsche Exclusive thread at the top is an incredible resource. Long to read now, but so much great info on what for most people is a major purchase. When I read about the process and the product, it made the upcharge for natural leather seem like a (relative) bargain to me.
Well, I read all the Porsche marketing blather about it too before I bought one! But I will defer to my own multi-year experience with two Porsches from the same era, parked side by side in the same garage, wherein the non-Natural Cocoa looked a lot better at time of sale than the Natural Grey did, with a lot fewer miles on it. No way I'd ever choose the Natural again unless it was the only way I could get a color I really wanted. I went into the experiment believing the same thing you just wrote -- it may be true in theory, etc., but the execution, at least on the 996TT, was in no way superior (and in that one way inferior) to that on the 986SE I had. Can't explain it...

Cheers!

Quick Reply: need opinion: agate grey c4s with espresso/cognac or black/platinum?