Sponsored by:

Why not Alcantara?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 06:05 PM
CliffJumper RS
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Why not Alcantara?

I'm currently a wannabe P-Car owner, and plan to make that happen this year. As I've been looking at some cars at dealerships, I've noticed that most are ordered with "Alcantara Delete".

At first touch, I like the Alcantara, but I was wondering why it doesn't seem to be popular. Is it something that doesn't wear well if you keep the car for several years?
Old 02-10-2015, 06:22 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 233 Likes on 125 Posts

For me it boils down to (on the GTS anyway):

1) No seat ventilation. You have to have perforations to get seat AC, so no go with fake suede.

2) Lack of color options. Obviously not a problem if you want black.

3) I like the seat inserts in fake suede just fine, but not the steering wheel. Also, I suspect that with age it will get shiny and worn faster than real leather will. But as I wear gloves 24/7 when driving it would probably not be as big a deal for me, unless it gets compressed and shiny just from the pressure, and not the body oils.

4) silly name. Hard to say, lots of syllables, a word not found in nature, just like the material.

I will admit it surprised me to find that I can build a deviated color full leather (black/Carrera Red) interior with heated and cooled seats cheaper than I can do the GTS package/Suede interior. Just an added bonus going with the leather. I think I could even add red gauge faces and be a little cheaper, but I'm not certain about that. The gauge faces are insanely overpriced at $865 or whatever it is.

Anyway, if I were planning this car to be a 3-year-and-sell model, I'd probably get the GTS package with the fake suede, just for the trendiness and novelty of it. But for a keeper I'm going with leather. YMMV, of course.
Old 02-10-2015, 06:33 PM
CliffJumper RS
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmm... interesting points. Thanks NoGaBiker
Old 02-10-2015, 09:46 PM
991TurboS
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Alcantata for headliner only for me. To me, an alcantara interior is too velour feeling/looking. It just looks too fuzzy.
Old 02-10-2015, 09:48 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,402 Likes on 2,513 Posts

I've never heard anyone ever say, "Wow, that alcantara smells great!".

Sent from my iPhone using Rennlist
Old 02-11-2015, 12:21 AM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 837 Likes on 418 Posts

I personally never liked it except for a head liner.
Old 02-11-2015, 01:17 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by CliffJumper RS
As I've been looking at some cars at dealerships, I've noticed that most are ordered with "Alcantara Delete".

At first touch, I like the Alcantara, but I was wondering why it doesn't seem to be popular. Is it something that doesn't wear well if you keep the car for several years?
Alcantara is only available on the sportiest Porsche models - gt3, 991 GTS, 981 GTS, 981 GT4. The same holds true for Ferrari, Audi, Mercedes, BMW and other sport car manufacturers. I happen to love 'Alcantara'. And so do the vast majority of the targeted customers of these niche sport cars. That is why after much market research, the manufacturers decided to offer 'Alcantara' on these models. Luckily, in many cases you have the choice to 'delete' and go with regular leather. Isn't the world just great!

Originally Posted by LexVan
I've never heard anyone ever say, "Wow, that alcantara smells great!".
Lex: You will have to come to my house so that you can hear me say just that! But only in the afternoon. In the morning, I tend to prefer the smell of napalm.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Old 02-11-2015, 01:37 AM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 233 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
... That is why after much market research, the manufacturers decided to offer 'Alcantara' on these models.
Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Yes, market research that went something like this:

"Rolf, how can we charge more for something that costs us a whole lot less to make?"
"Well, Gunter, best bet is to convince them it is real motorsportsy."
"Rolf, don't be foolish; we already did that mit der centerenlakken wheels. They'll never fall for it again."
Old 02-11-2015, 09:37 AM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

I had this Alcantara/leather debate when I was deciding on interior for my new GTS. I had never really cared for Alcantara much, and in fact ordered my 997 GTS with full leather. However, after looking at the new GTS Interior Communication Package, I decided to go for that. I am not sure I would have taken the standard GTS Alcantara interior package, but that is just my preference. The GTS Communication Package looks so nice with the red stitching and the other leather pieces, the red boarders on the seat belts, and some other nice features. To me, the GTS Communication Package "makes" the GTS a GTS. Not trying to start a flame war, just my opinion

So far, I really like it.

Last edited by GSIRM3; 04-04-2015 at 05:46 PM.
Old 02-11-2015, 11:23 AM
PDK1965
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the alcantara on this model 911. Suits it's "character." Having said that, it's personal preference. Nice to have so many options.
Old 02-11-2015, 12:55 PM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by PDK1965
it's personal preference. Nice to have so many options.
+1.

I've also wondered whether this is one of those Euro vs North American taste things. Maybe it's my age, but I think that some of us older guys look at alcantara and see the velor interiors of the crap cars of our youth. At least I do.
Old 02-11-2015, 01:01 PM
scatkins
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by hinckley
+1.

I've also wondered whether this is one of those Euro vs North American taste things. Maybe it's my age, but I think that some of us older guys look at alcantara and see the velor interiors of the crap cars of our youth. At least I do.

Yep, exactly.. When I see alcantara I think of two things..

1) Ewwwww... reminds me of something out of a 70's **** flick.
2) It's gonna look like a gross suede jacket once it gets a little dirty.

One of the reasons I immediately excluded a GT3 from my short list.
Old 02-11-2015, 01:07 PM
cretinx
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

alcantara is awesome if you're race-car driver sized (small) like me - prevents the sliding around, even with sport-seats.
Old 02-11-2015, 01:39 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by cretinx
alcantara is awesome if you're race-car driver sized (small) like me - prevents the sliding around, even with sport-seats.
It does grip very well.

Porsche has given us options. That's what everyone wants right??

At least they have the delete option. It's like complaining about a white car when you can order a black one if you'd like!
Old 02-11-2015, 01:43 PM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 4,134 Likes on 1,462 Posts

Alcantara is a synthetic composite product, made by a joint Italian-Japanese venture. It's man-made but designed to mimic suede leather. The reason race cars use it is because it offers much better grip than leather and is durable. However it will pill over time, no matter how good the care - when subject to friction. On a track car - who cares? But it drives the Cars and Coffee crowd nuts when it shows any wear. Also keep in mind that all components on a race car are considered wear items and they don't think too hard about tossing something and replacing it. I had it in my prior Porsche and really enjoyed it, but I did see wear on the steering wheel even being rather careful with it. For long life durability, leather is better - but IMHO the Alcantara is superior for a high performance driver (track days, etc)

Quick Reply: Why not Alcantara?