Received 3,639 Likes on 2,361 Posts

Originally Posted by C4S/GT3
bloody hell, they had better air that particular episode
Old 03-12-2015, 08:55 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by C4S/GT3
Have a read of this, it counters your opinion. http://www.forbes.com/sites/ianmorri...rtner=yahootix .
Thanks for the read.

So Jeremy shoves or roughs up some guy and all hell breaks loose, but there's people being beheaded and women attacked in other parts of the world and there is little concern for that.

Makes you wonder .....
Old 03-13-2015, 08:03 AM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 126 Posts

I'm just shaking my head also. First, I never watch the show (or anything on TV for that matter -- yes, I actually AM superior to all of you) but I'm familiar enough with the schtick from all the youtube postings I've encountered over the years. Seems entertaining enough.

Second: The history of entertainment is one long episode of spoiled prima donnas getting increasingly demanding as their stock goes up, while secretly everybody from the owner of the studio down to the key grip hates and even pities them, and most of the catering staff soak their dicks in his/her drink before serving. When they don't get their way, if they're big enough, they take a swing or a shove at somebody who's incompetence, real or imagined, is ruining their day. A small brouhaha ensues, feathers are ruffled then soothed, and the world goes on. If it's bad enough some money changes hands under a table and the offended party goes away much happier than before, never to work on that set again but a year's wages better off and happy to be rid of the lot of them.

Seems the reasonable solution to me, rather than "making a stand" that "******** won't be allowed to conduct their jackassery around here!" Pragmatism is often the best solution. As STG991 points out above, there are far bigger problems to get wadded up over.
Old 03-13-2015, 05:23 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
I'm just shaking my head also. First, I never watch the show (or anything on TV for that matter -- yes, I actually AM superior to all of you) but I'm familiar enough with the schtick from all the youtube postings I've encountered over the years. Seems entertaining enough.

Second: The history of entertainment is one long episode of spoiled prima donnas getting increasingly demanding as their stock goes up, while secretly everybody from the owner of the studio down to the key grip hates and even pities them, and most of the catering staff soak their dicks in his/her drink before serving. When they don't get their way, if they're big enough, they take a swing or a shove at somebody who's incompetence, real or imagined, is ruining their day. A small brouhaha ensues, feathers are ruffled then soothed, and the world goes on. If it's bad enough some money changes hands under a table and the offended party goes away much happier than before, never to work on that set again but a year's wages better off and happy to be rid of the lot of them.

Seems the reasonable solution to me, rather than "making a stand" that "******** won't be allowed to conduct their jackassery around here!" Pragmatism is often the best solution. As STG991 points out above, there are far bigger problems to get wadded up over.
+1
Old 03-15-2015, 03:17 PM
neurotic
Rennlist Member

Received 614 Likes on 284 Posts

Old 03-15-2015, 07:49 PM
Grunty
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

I read somewhere that clarkson is getting 4 million pounds per season. Given that the show has a global audience of 350 million, he is massively underpaid. Weren't the Seinfeld guys getting 1 million an episode back in the 90s?
Old 03-15-2015, 09:19 PM
Vise
Drifting

Received 333 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by Grunty
I read somewhere that clarkson is getting 4 million pounds per season. Given that the show has a global audience of 350 million, he is massively underpaid. Weren't the Seinfeld guys getting 1 million an episode back in the 90s?
The number I've seen mentioned often is roughly $20m USD per season which is more in-line with the audience for TG... actually at that number he is still underpaid.
Old 03-25-2015, 01:48 PM
STG
Race Director

Clarkson is out! End of a great show.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-32052736
Old 03-25-2015, 01:52 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by STG991
Clarkson is out! End of a great show.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-32052736
I think there is a chance that James and Richard will follow Clarkson to another network ...
Old 03-25-2015, 01:54 PM
swordsmn
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well that sucks....

My UK car buddy says: 'Well, what normally happens is the format will be picked up by one of the other channels and Clarkson makes even more money, i will be watching this space (that link). big bags of gold will be handed out to entice the whole team, all of their contracts were up for renewal end of march'

so let's just hope the US gets to see the new show.
Old 03-25-2015, 02:10 PM
Vise
Drifting

Received 333 Likes on 206 Posts

Rumour is that Netflix is in the running to snag the guys and launch a new show. Would be a brilliant move for them, I hope it happens.
Old 03-25-2015, 02:29 PM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by Vise
Rumour is that Netflix is in the running to snag the guys and launch a new show. Would be a brilliant move for them, I hope it happens.
Great! The show will go on. It's too good and too profitable.

The BBC guys are the idiots. They're the ones who need a good slapping around and a dose of some verbal abuse. Might help wake them up. Ha ha.
Old 03-25-2015, 04:13 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by STG991
Great! The show will go on. It's too good and too profitable.

The BBC guys are the idiots. They're the ones who need a good slapping around and a dose of some verbal abuse. Might help wake them up. Ha ha.
Nonsense. They work for a government. Government "programs" cannot fail, thus Top Gear cannot fail. If fewer people watch it, the gov't simply directs more pounds of taxpayer-provided money towards it and, as if by magic, TG can stay afloat! Proving that the producers were not wrong about sacking Clarkson.

If they begin running out of taxpayer-provided money, simple; Run the presses a couple extra shifts every week and there ya go.
Old 03-25-2015, 04:35 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
Nonsense. They work for a government. Government "programs" cannot fail, thus Top Gear cannot fail. If fewer people watch it, the gov't simply directs more pounds of taxpayer-provided money towards it and, as if by magic, TG can stay afloat! Proving that the producers were not wrong about sacking Clarkson.

If they begin running out of taxpayer-provided money, simple; Run the presses a couple extra shifts every week and there ya go.
that's not entirely correct, the BBC is a separate entity that is governed separately but is funded (partially) via a television license fee that everyone pays yearly.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbctrust/governance
Old 03-25-2015, 04:37 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Vise
given the comments of James May when asked this morning, I would expect to see Hammond and May join Clarkson somewhere else to reinvent the program

Quick Reply: Jeremy Clarkson likes the GTS…well almost