Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991 GTS Owners Manuals

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2015, 04:56 PM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 144 Posts

Well, here's my update . . . I got the correct GTS owner's manual today after only a month and a half since GSIRM3 originally brought this issue to our attention, and here's what I found out from my very tenacious sales guy . . .

I emailed my guy over six weeks ago and pasted in GSIRM3's original post. He contacted PCNA in Atlanta and (surprise, surprise) they were clueless about a special GTS manual. They did find a reference to the manual's part number (WKD 991 09 21 15) in their system, but there is no indication that it is a GTS-specific manual. It has the same cover as the regular 911's owner's manual and it is titled the same - "911 Carrera, 911 Targa". To make matters worse, the PCNA folks could not place an order in their system for the GTS manual's part number. So, my (as I say, tenacious) sales guy got the number of the company that publishes the manual for PCNA and he ordered it directly from them! I don't know whether he paid for it or not. In any event, he got it yesterday and I got it today. For others' reference, the GTS CL wheel section starts on page 269.

One other thing - my guy wasn't able to get the "GTS - Driving on the Race Circuit" book, but he did score what we think is the same thing - the "911 Turbo - Driving on the Race Circuit" book. Fwiw, the 911 Turbo book is ten pages long and does not have a part number printed on it.

Crazy.
Old 06-03-2015, 05:14 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by hinckley
Well, here's my update . . . I got the correct GTS owner's manual today after only a month and a half since GSIRM3 originally brought this issue to our attention, and here's what I found out from my very tenacious sales guy . . .

I emailed my guy over six weeks ago and pasted in GSIRM3's original post. He contacted PCNA in Atlanta and (surprise, surprise) they were clueless about a special GTS manual. They did find a reference to the manual's part number (WKD 991 09 21 15) in their system, but it there is no indication that it is GTS-specific. It has the same cover as the regular 911's owner's manual and it is titled the same - "911 Carrera, 911 Targa". To make matters worse, the PCNA folks could not place an order in their system for the GTS manual's part number. So, my (as I say, tenacious) sales guy got the number of the company that publishes the manual for PCNA and he ordered it directly from them! I don't know whether he paid for it or not. In any event, he got it yesterday and I got it today. For others' reference, the GTS CL wheel section starts on page 269.

One other thing - my guy wasn't able to get the "GTS - Driving on the Race Circuit" book, but he did score what we think is the same thing - the "911 Turbo - Driving on the Race Circuit" book. Fwiw, the 911 Turbo book is ten pages long and does not have a part number printed on it.

Crazy.
Amazing that after all the crap I went through with PCNA to get the correct manuals for my GTS, they still haven't resolved the problem, although they told me they had. Regarding not having the 991 GTS, Driving on the Race Circuit manual, if the Turbo one you have gives specific maintenance requirements for CL wheels on car driven on the track, then it is probably the same information as the GTS Race Circuit manual you should have gotten.
Old 06-03-2015, 05:16 PM
freeman
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

The center lock wheels require a breaker bar that is not supplied with the GTS nor will fit anywhere in the GTS. Few tire dealers have the breaker bar. For that reason I chose the 5-lug wheels which are knock out gorgeous. Furthermore, when my 2013 991 C2 blew 2 wheels within 4000 miles, I bought a cookie set from a 996 with a jack from a dismantler. Unfortunately, I sold the set with the 991 when I bought the GTS. I will make up for it shortly.
Old 06-03-2015, 05:25 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Originally Posted by freeman
The center lock wheels require a breaker bar that is not supplied with the GTS nor will fit anywhere in the GTS. Few tire dealers have the breaker bar. For that reason I chose the 5-lug wheels which are knock out gorgeous. Furthermore, when my 2013 991 C2 blew 2 wheels within 4000 miles, I bought a cookie set from a 996 with a jack from a dismantler. Unfortunately, I sold the set with the 991 when I bought the GTS. I will make up for it shortly.
That's fine but still doesn't excuse PCNA for not supplying the correct manuals with the GTS.
Old 06-03-2015, 05:32 PM
freeman
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

I got the correct manuals with my GTS delivered on May 7
Old 06-03-2015, 05:46 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Originally Posted by freeman
I got the correct manuals with my GTS delivered on May 7
Encouraging. Maybe PCNA has now corrected the problem.
Old 06-03-2015, 06:47 PM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by GSIRM3
Regarding not having the 991 GTS, Driving on the Race Circuit manual, if the Turbo one you have gives specific maintenance requirements for CL wheels on car driven on the track, then it is probably the same information as the GTS Race Circuit manual you should have gotten.
It does. Thanks again.
Old 06-03-2015, 07:49 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,632 Likes on 2,358 Posts

Originally Posted by hinckley

I emailed my guy over six weeks ago and pasted in GSIRM3's original post. He contacted PCNA in Atlanta and (surprise, surprise) they were clueless about a special GTS manual. They did find a reference to the manual's part number (WKD 991 09 21 15) in their system, but there is no indication that it is a GTS-specific manual. It has the same cover as the regular 911's owner's manual and it is titled the same - "911 Carrera, 911 Targa". To make matters worse, the PCNA folks could not place an order in their system for the GTS manual's part number. So, my (as I say, tenacious) sales guy got the number of the company that publishes the manual for PCNA and he ordered it directly from them! I don't know whether he paid for it or not. In any event, he got it yesterday and I got it today. For others' reference, the GTS CL wheel section starts on page 269.

Crazy.
there was also one of these released for the 7.2 GT3 shortly after the CL hub recall which includes certain maintenance information regarding the hubs,
I would want to make sure that this is identical for the GTS before settling
for the Turbo version...

pretty lame that Porsche cant get their docs in order...
Old 06-03-2015, 07:49 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GSIRM3
That's fine but still doesn't excuse PCNA for not supplying the correct manuals with the GTS.
+1,000,000,000
Old 06-04-2015, 12:18 PM
Green_Hornet
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My manual has a nice and detailed section about proper use of lug nuts and spacers ; - /
Old 06-04-2015, 01:33 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Green_Hornet
My manual has a nice and detailed section about proper use of lug nuts and spacers ; - /
you need a manual to tell you what to do with your nuts? sheeesh ...
Old 06-04-2015, 01:54 PM
Vise
Drifting

Received 332 Likes on 205 Posts

Heard from my dealer, apparently the correct manual is still on back order... we'll see if I get it before my 1st anniversary.
Old 06-06-2015, 09:20 PM
MHarris
Rennlist Member

UPDATE... last week I spoke to my salesperson and requested the correct manuals for my GTS using the PNs provided here (Thanks). Today I received a FedX envelope from PCNA with the "911 GTS driving on the race circuit book". Good news that they got the message and hopefully the owners manual will follow.
Old 06-06-2015, 10:42 PM
mschuster

Has this been mentioned? If you don't have the GTS manual yet, you can download Porsche's "Good to Know" App from Apple's App Store. Then download the document "911 Carrera, 911 Targa, Model Year 2016, WKD 991 07 21 16 ", which has GTS center lock info in the sections User's Guide > Minor Repairs > Wheels with Central Lock, Central Bolts, and Changing a Wheel.

Mike
Old 06-07-2015, 10:53 AM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MHarris
UPDATE... last week I spoke to my salesperson and requested the correct manuals for my GTS using the PNs provided here (Thanks). Today I received a FedX envelope from PCNA with the "911 GTS driving on the race circuit book". Good news that they got the message and hopefully the owners manual will follow.
they should simply send them to each owner without us "asking"...

Quick Reply: 991 GTS Owners Manuals