Sponsored by:

price check on 2012 991S Cab

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 12:46 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Mumbles
As he is still the original owner he can extend the warranty for an extra two years over the 4 yrs can't he ? or would the car have to be inspected ?
No, unlike Mercedes Benz and other automotive companies. Unless things have dramatically changed in the past few months, PCNA in the US will not allow any individual owner to extend the factory warranty beyond it's initial four years. Only warranty extensions available are by Porsche dealers on a CPO (Certified Pre-Owned) and that can only be done if the dealer takes possession of the vehicle and not while the original owner has title. Once dealer takes possession via a sale (he now owns it), the dealer can apply for PCNA's CPO status which involves a detailed multi-point inspection and payment (over $2K) to PCNA for the warranty extension (if it passes muster). It usually will also require new tires and other maintenance expenses, which are extra to the certification process. All of that will be reflected in the asking price of the CPO vehicle that is for sale. So caveat lector.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Old 01-29-2015, 12:56 PM
gruve
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info Eduardo.

If I buy the car, I will consider doing the Fidelity Platinum extended warranty again, or just "self-insuring" on this one...
Old 01-29-2015, 01:04 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by gruve
I have an opportunity to buy a 2012 991S Cab from a friend who is moving on up to a 2015 GTS Cab in a few months when his 991S lease is up. He will sell it to me at the residual price, which is around $74k. The car has full leather, PDK, Premium Package Plus w/18-way sport seats, Sport Exhaust, Burmester, park assist, sport steering wheel, painted wheels, and some other misc options. Sticker was $136k. It has around 11,000 miles on it and seems to be in great condition.!
Thanks for the info Eduardo.

If I buy the car, I will consider doing the Fidelity Platinum extended warranty again, or just "self-insuring" on this one...
Sounds good. By the way Gruve, I think a 2012 991S Cab that MSRP at $136K for $74K is an incredible deal. If you decide to pass on it, please introduce me to the owner and I'll buy it!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Old 01-29-2015, 01:19 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
No, unlike Mercedes Benz and other automotive companies. Unless things have dramatically changed in the past few months, PCNA in the US will not allow any individual owner to extend the factory warranty beyond it's initial four years. Only warranty extensions available are by Porsche dealers on a CPO (Certified Pre-Owned) and that can only be done if the dealer takes possession of the vehicle and not while the original owner has title. Once dealer takes possession via a sale (he now owns it), the dealer can apply for PCNA's CPO status which involves a detailed multi-point inspection and payment (over $2K) to PCNA for the warranty extension (if it passes muster). It usually will also require new tires and other maintenance expenses, which are extra to the certification process. All of that will be reflected in the asking price of the CPO vehicle that is for sale. So caveat lector.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

If you are correct then the Porsche Warranty is different in Canada ?
Just got off the phone with my local Porsche dealer in London Ontario.

As the original owner an additional 2 yrs of warranty is available over the original 4 yrs when you purchase the car. 6 yrs total 160km.

If you are the original owner of the car you can add the 2 yr extension warranty without any inspections within the first year of ownership. After the first year of ownership the extension warranty is still available to the original owner but the car will require an inspection and alignment ( $ 560.00 can )
All valid as long as the car is under the original warranty umbrella

Regards
Old 01-29-2015, 08:53 PM
chatt
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yeah! Amazing price!
Old 02-03-2015, 11:18 PM
gruve
Rennlist Member

I did my test drive of it yesterday and I'm pretty sure I'm going to buy it. Looks to be in great shape, with just some minor wheel rash, and was a blast to drive (especially with the sport exhaust and sport seats). I did find out that he had the rear bumper replaced/repainted due to a minor fender bender, and he didn't have any of the Porsche logos put back on. While I think all the logos on the back are kind of overkill, given the broad height of the 991's bumper it struck me as a bit empty with nothing back there. So I'm thinking maybe I'd add back the CarreraS. Curious to hear and see other ideas.

So now I have to start the process of selling my 2010S Cab. Haven't sold a car in a long time and never a Porsche. Figure I'll post it on the PCA site and Panorama, Autotrader or Cars.com, rennlist, ... Not inclined to put it on Craigslist or eBay. Am I missing anywhere?
Old 02-04-2015, 12:11 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

...and he didn't have any of the Porsche logos put back on. While I think all the logos on the back are kind of overkill, given the broad height of the 991's bumper it struck me as a bit empty with nothing back there. So I'm thinking maybe I'd add back the CarreraS. Curious to hear and see other ideas.
Of course, it's all personal preference. But 'Porsche 911' says it all...simple & eloquent!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Old 02-04-2015, 12:44 AM
gruve
Rennlist Member

After reading this thread, I'm pretty sure I don't want to attempt the P O R S C H E emblem!

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/8105...-e-emblem.html
Old 02-04-2015, 07:42 AM
Cajun Martyni
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

Gruve. Sent you a PM
Old 02-04-2015, 05:33 PM
cmb13
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

If you don't buy it LMK I would be glad to with $1000 extra for you and your friend.
Old 02-04-2015, 07:49 PM
mdkrp
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 67 Posts

$74k? Holy moly that's a great deal! I would jump on that in a minute.
You should buy it and not look back.
Old 02-06-2015, 12:24 PM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Depending on where you live (why can't people fill out their profile?) the seller will have to pay sales tax when he buys the car from Porsche and has it titled in his name. Then when you buy it, you'll pay sales tax again. And there is probably a fee to buy the car from the leasing company. But heck, even with all that, it's a great deal.
Old 02-06-2015, 06:55 PM
gruve
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MJBird993
Depending on where you live (why can't people fill out their profile?) the seller will have to pay sales tax when he buys the car from Porsche and has it titled in his name. Then when you buy it, you'll pay sales tax again. And there is probably a fee to buy the car from the leasing company. But heck, even with all that, it's a great deal.
I'm in California... I'm pretty sure there is a way for us to do it so that we both don't pay the sales tax (just me).
Old 02-07-2015, 01:10 AM
drmatara
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by MJBird993
The car will be returned and bought by the the dealer and then the dealer will sell it to the new owner...so only the last buyer will pay the tax
Old 02-07-2015, 08:19 AM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by drmatara
The car will be returned and bought by the the dealer and then the dealer will sell it to the new owner...so only the last buyer will pay the tax
Well like I said, it will cost something. The dealer ain't gonna do that for free.

Quick Reply: price check on 2012 991S Cab