Sponsored by:

Charger problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2015 | 06:40 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Charger problem

I noticed today that my battery charger (the Porsche one I bought in 2013, believe it's a CTEK) does not seem to be working ... normally the power outlets in my car will shut down after a few minutes until the door is reopened (I have noticed this because when my Valentine One is left powered on it always restarts itself when I open the car door). For the charger, I plug it in, turn it on set to the car setting (light is glowing) but when I come back later the lights are off and I doubt it's doing anything to the battery.

Normal behavior? Some sort of PCM setting to leave the lighter hot all the time? I get the same behavior from the lighter and the power outlet on the tunnel.
Old 01-22-2015 | 06:46 PM
scatkins
Advanced

you sure the battery isn't just already charged and it is done charging?
Old 01-22-2015 | 06:58 PM
drcollie
Rennlist Member

Check the fit of the plug in the receptacle in the car, first. They can be flaky so make sure you have a good connection. Try the one in the footwell, then move it to the one in the console to see if there is any difference

Next check your outlet to make sure there is juice where the CTEK is plugged in. Those units are pretty solid as a rule.
Old 01-22-2015 | 07:00 PM
LexVan
Banned

Originally Posted by vjd3
I noticed today that my battery charger (the Porsche one I bought in 2013, believe it's a CTEK) does not seem to be working ... normally the power outlets in my car will shut down after a few minutes until the door is reopened (I have noticed this because when my Valentine One is left powered on it always restarts itself when I open the car door). For the charger, I plug it in, turn it on set to the car setting (light is glowing) but when I come back later the lights are off and I doubt it's doing anything to the battery.

Normal behavior? Some sort of PCM setting to leave the lighter hot all the time? I get the same behavior from the lighter and the power outlet on the tunnel.
Sounds normal to me. Lift the LOCKED door handle or cycle the key fob, does the charger light reactive? It should. For a few minutes because it senses the power drop.
Old 01-22-2015 | 07:26 PM
Homeles
Three Wheelin'

Use the one in the footwell. It's hot all the time. I leave mine on charge for 2 months at a time, no problem. Plug it in, lock the doors, and forget it!
Old 01-22-2015 | 09:23 PM
Duke I
Pro

After charging and it the trickle mode, my CTEK cycles between green (charged) and yellow (charging). Never all lights out. Plugged into the footwell outlet.

Last edited by Duke I; 01-22-2015 at 09:24 PM. Reason: Clarify.
Old 01-22-2015 | 11:34 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks, folks, I'll try the other outlet.

Quick Reply: Charger problem