991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Euro Delivery - driving to Prague

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2015 | 02:29 PM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

Jupjai - keeping the wife happy for a 911 Euro delivery is job 1. Well done.

But, as someone who has lived, worked and travel pretty extensively in Europe, I know that you sometimes have to look past some of our urban myths about traveling overseas (did you know they ate live dogs in China?). All of eastern Europe is not a monolith and eastern Europe has changed a lot since the wall fell 25 years ago (25 years!!!). There's a big difference between Czech and Serbia. Czech was always the most western of the eastern countries and Prague has a long western tradition. You do need street smarts (as you do anywhere) and picking a place like the Mandarin to park your car was the right choice. But to the nay-sayers I'd ask - would you park your brand new 911 Turbo S for four days on the streets of New York? Chicago? LA?

Sorry if this ended up being a rant. I do believe you made the right decision for your circumstance.
Old 01-20-2015 | 06:46 PM
JUPJAI
Burning Brakes

Thanks scatkins and hinckley
You are both wise! Keeping the trip in Germany Henry
Old 01-20-2015 | 09:03 PM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by JUPJAI
Thanks scatkins and hinckley
You are both wise! Keeping the trip in Germany Henry
Old 01-20-2015 | 09:04 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

at least western europe ...
Old 01-20-2015 | 09:37 PM
drmatara
Pro

Originally Posted by hinckley
But to the nay-sayers I'd ask - would you park your brand new 911 Turbo S for four days on the streets of New York? Chicago? LA?
I live in LA and I would have no problem parking on the streets on most neighborhoods.
Old 01-20-2015 | 10:31 PM
mrhebert
Rennlist Member

We drove a new Audi to Prague, no problem. Stay in a nice hotel with off street parking, and walk. The city is beautiful, and walking tours in English are numerous. The Concierge will direct you. Have a wonderful time, we sure enjoyed our visit.
Old 01-21-2015 | 12:20 AM
Duke I
Pro

Go to Prague, enjoy the city, tours etc., just don't take your new 911 there. When I did ED last year I was told by many to not go too far east with my car. I did Germany, Austria, Italy and Switzerland. I would not take a new 911 even to Italy again, not that I was concerned about theft, just damage during driving and parking -- driving was a competition there. I love Italy and will tour there again, next time in a rented Fiat.
Old 01-21-2015 | 12:34 AM
JUPJAI
Burning Brakes

Thanks all,

I have been to Prague before - wonderful visit.... just worrying about driving in the region, I think another time in a rental car as you have suggested.

ED April 20th - woohoo!
Old 01-22-2015 | 12:15 PM
scatkins
Advanced

Originally Posted by hinckley
Jupjai - keeping the wife happy for a 911 Euro delivery is job 1. Well done.

But, as someone who has lived, worked and travel pretty extensively in Europe, I know that you sometimes have to look past some of our urban myths about traveling overseas (did you know they ate live dogs in China?). All of eastern Europe is not a monolith and eastern Europe has changed a lot since the wall fell 25 years ago (25 years!!!). There's a big difference between Czech and Serbia. Czech was always the most western of the eastern countries and Prague has a long western tradition. You do need street smarts (as you do anywhere) and picking a place like the Mandarin to park your car was the right choice. But to the nay-sayers I'd ask - would you park your brand new 911 Turbo S for four days on the streets of New York? Chicago? LA?

Sorry if this ended up being a rant. I do believe you made the right decision for your circumstance.
I've worked, traveled extensively and for short periods of time lived in Europe as well. And I think your points are reasonable.... And for the most part I would agree, Czech republic is probably one of the more progressive of the old eastern European countries.

And to answer your direct point.. Nope I wouldn't leave my car overnight on the streets downtown in any major city.. America or in the world for that matter. Hell I don't leave mine on the street in my suburban home city which is rated as one of the lowest for property crime in the country.

That said.. there are differences within the countries. While I would say personal safety is rather good in the Czech republic and in Prague itself.. It as well as other eastern European countries is a plagued with organized crime... much more so than let's say Germany.. In the end it is an economic issue.. And while an average tourist who isn't looking for prostitutes and drugs are unlikely to run into any personal safety issues. Things like car theft rings thrive in those kind of environments in the cities.

Thus the last thing I want is my 1 week old 991 with German temp tags sitting around on the street in Prague. Chances are nothing will happen.. then again why tempt fate? I also tend to pay attention to the rental car agencies when they have a big yellow page they put in the rental contract forbidding me to take the car in to certain countries. I tend to believe they do that from experience.

To be honest, if I was going to Prague and knew exactly where I was staying and knew the hotel had a reasonably secure parking garage I might go ahead and do it. (Which is exactly the same thought I have if I drive my car into down town Chicago or San Francisco)... But the problem often as a tourist going someplace you have never been you often don't know the parking situation.

But comparing Prague (or even someplace like Rome)... to say Hamburg.. I'd have little problem parking my 991 on the street in Hamburg if I had to. (within reason of course).

But again, my comments are intended more for someone who is traveling as a tourist and isn't all that familiar with where he will be and want's to minimize risk to a prized possession.

Quick Reply: Euro Delivery - driving to Prague