Sponsored by:

Over Revs with PDK

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 03:54 PM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by stronbl
This is not a definitive answer but some data to help form that answer. I've attached my DME report from last Oct (it's the last time I read it on my Durametric). As you can see many Range 1 events and only 3 Range 2 events, no others > Range 2. About 2/3 of the miles are track miles, almost all in Sports + mode and a combination of manual and auto modes. In manual mode I bounce against the rev limiter many times because I cannot anticipate or shift as fast as the auto PDK. Seems rather difficult to get a Range 3 event based on my data; but I can't say impossible with 100% certainty. BTW it is a 997-2 with 1st gen PDK. Perhaps this helps some ...

Stronbl.

Thanks for that!

I'm looking at it again and nothing over range 2. That is what my guy was attempting to explain to me while drool was running down my face and into my phone.

While it doesn't say it all, it says a whole hell of a lot!

Awesome!
Old 01-21-2015, 03:57 PM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by MJBird993
A German was speaking broken German?

Perhaps you meant to write "broken English"?

Perhaps - and don't get mad at me - just perhaps, you should proof-read your contributions before clicking the "submit reply for ridicule" button.

I also shouldn't be allowed to post on Rennlist after 9 pm either. I'm fried by then.
Old 01-23-2015, 12:09 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by doctp12
I thought I asked a very simple and straight forward question... I will ask again: In a 991 with PDK will the car allow you to have Over revs?
Granted, while driving aggressively, you can hit the rev limiter while accelerating, hitting Cat. 1 or 2, which ,I believe is of no real concern, esp. when Porsche evaluates your car with a blown engine.

Mt very simple question is, on downshifts, will PDK allow you to go into Cat. 3 or above?

This vis a very simple, straight forward question, so far, lots of maybes, but no one with a definitive answer.

Cmon guys, do I really have to call Porsche of North America for a written response?
I've not read all the other posts so may be someone has already responded, but you can't downshift a PDK into an over rev condition.

However, it is possible a PDK equipped car can experience over revs. The situation involves hard acceleration to red line on a steep decline. Gravity can cause the vehicle's speed to increase over and above what it would be on engine power alone and this can get the engine into over rev territory.

Last but not least if the car was "flashed" this can raise the RPM rev limit and this can appear as over revs.

My advice is to always get a DME over rev readout regardless of the transmission type. Even if there are no over revs at all you will still have the engine run time and you can do a sanity check using this and the odometer.
Old 01-23-2015, 12:43 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,047 Likes on 539 Posts

As I noted in the past. Put the car in manual and sport plus. Run it to red line and watch how quickly the car falls off the revs. Go read the DME and you will most likely see readings in range 1. I did get 1 or 2 in range 2 which were most likely false readings.

The point on the new 991 GT3 ranges is that range 1 is very small and from what I read Porsche states 'Possible Engine Damage'.

Quick Reply: Over Revs with PDK