Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Swirled Paint

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2014, 10:38 PM
TJD911
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As Chuck notes, the car is not scratched, just very lightly swirled. Most normal humans would think I was nuts for even worrying about it. I suspect I could do a decent job with some high quality products and tools but I'm inclined to get it done once professionally and then learn the fine art of maintaining it after that.

K1600 - I'll definitely look up your friend in Stoneham. That's not far from me at all. Besides a referral from a guy who owns the finest sport touring ride on two wheels *and* a 911 has credibility in my book. My previous bike was a K1200GT and I just sold my Ducati Multistrada 1200S to make room for the new 911.

Thanks all -
Old 12-12-2014, 10:54 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by TJD911
As Chuck notes, the car is not scratched, just very lightly swirled. Most normal humans would think I was nuts for even worrying about it. I suspect I could do a decent job with some high quality products and tools but I'm inclined to get it done once professionally and then learn the fine art of maintaining it after that. K1600 - I'll definitely look up your friend in Stoneham. That's not far from me at all. Besides a referral from a guy who owns the finest sport touring ride on two wheels *and* a 911 has credibility in my book. My previous bike was a K1200GT and I just sold my Ducati Multistrada 1200S to make room for the new 911. Thanks all -

Good call. You'll be amazed at what the pros can do. No need to attempt to be an expert in everything.

Definitely educate yourself on proper washing and maintaining it on your own!

Chuck, this is no 4hr job paint correction here!! My washes take 3hrs alone!

Old 12-13-2014, 01:24 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

Maybe you guys are amazed by the pros. Me, I EXPECT that the pros will deliver perfection. No doubt some do. Will let you all know when I see it.

What have I seen instead? The same guy I helped win his concours class, he paid big bucks for the best professional finish in the Puget Sound area. Then literally the next day on a PCA Tour I see him out in the parking lot. Our cars were parked side by side under the bright sunlight and he's turning back and forth, my car then his, and whatever it is he is NOT happy about it. What's up? Your car looks better than mine. Oh. And I just paid $350 for it. Trying to ease his mind I say well that shop, they have two levels, maybe next time get their best one? THIS IS THEIR BEST ONE!!! Oh well, it looks pretty good, those hairlines, you only have about twice as many as mine, and mine was waxed a month ago, so.... THEY JUST DID THIS YESTERDAY!!! Oh, uh, well....

For those who may have missed it, mines a 79 SC, his is a 993.

Then there was the time a premier local detail shop held a PCA tech session. And to be fair, everything they said was spot-on. Afterwards I'm dusting mine off and a couple of their crew on break are checking out my car. They ask who I have do the detailing and its one of those things where they don't say a word but you KNOW what is going through their mind when they hear me say, "I do."

Now again not to knock the pros, and in spite of my never having seen any of them do anything even as good as (nevermind better than) so-called amateurs, but the fact is every single one of the "amazing" cars I have ever seen (and I've seen a lot, and very few are amazing) was never within a mile of a professional detailer.

So TJ you spend the money if it makes you happy. Your money, after all. But honestly, unless you plan on always paying some other guy to do it for you, you'll be miles ahead to spend that money instead on some Griot's clay, polish and wax, a stack of quality microfiber towels, foam pads and random orbital. Why settle for passively "be amazed" when its so much more satisfying to be amazing yourself?
Old 12-13-2014, 01:51 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by STG991
Chuck, this is no 4hr job paint correction here!! My washes take 3hrs alone!
The pro's LOVE to have everyone convinced it takes hours and hours and tons of equipment just to wash a car.

Reality check: my car, the car above, the car that my friend hated to admit looked better than his spendy pro detailer did, at the time he compared it to his that the pro did just the day before, had been washed four times (once a week) by me using one bucket, one 100% cotton mitt and one ounce of Griot's Car Wash. Figure 45 min a wash. Including drying, wheels, and door jambs.

Anything more than that, to paraphrase a military expression, and you're not cleaning, you're playing with it.
Old 12-13-2014, 02:00 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,413 Likes on 2,516 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
I have a friend
OK, I'm calling BS on this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Rennlist
Old 12-13-2014, 09:18 AM
STG
Race Director

The pro's LOVE to have everyone convinced it takes hours and hours and tons of equipment just to wash a car. Reality check: my car, the car above, the car that my friend hated to admit looked better than his spendy pro detailer did, at the time he compared it to his that the pro did just the day before, had been washed four times (once a week) by me using one bucket, one 100% cotton mitt and one ounce of Griot's Car Wash. Figure 45 min a wash. Including drying, wheels, and door jambs. Anything more than that, to paraphrase a military expression, and you're not cleaning, you're playing with it.
Reality Check: You can't buy a professional detailer for $350.00. Maybe off Craigslist!

Education Check: a true professional

Last edited by STG; 12-13-2014 at 09:56 AM.
Old 12-13-2014, 10:04 AM
LexVan
Banned

The pro's LOVE to have everyone convinced it takes hours and hours and tons of equipment just to wash a car. Reality check:
Reality check: you're still a dumbass.

You should head over to our Concours Forum and tell the contributing professional business owners, and paid Rennlist sponsors, how to run their shops. Why don't you post over there if you're such the expert?

You never post in the Autocross Forum. And your an expert here too.

You never post in the Racing and DE Forum. And your an expert here as well.

Chucky, please stick to the OT Forum.

Old 12-13-2014, 11:52 AM
TJD911
Intermediate

Damn - you gotta love the passion in this thread. Truthfully, I'd much rather do it myself. I have no doubt that given equal experience and the right gear, a passionate car owner could do an equal or perhaps even better job because he'd be willing to continue until it was perfect. I'd much rather NOT drop to cash to get it professionally done but I'd need a local guru to hand hold me through the first go-round to make sure I learned the tricks of the trade. That's the way I learned to tune race skis and I haven't paid for a professional tune in years.
Chuck, if you were in my neighborhood, I'd be standing outside your garage with a case of your favorite brew, asking for a lesson!

Options for a first timer = Find a detailing guru to pass on his hard won knowledge - OR - Pay a pro.

Hmmm….
Old 12-13-2014, 12:43 PM
Homeles
Three Wheelin'

Received 132 Likes on 84 Posts

Watch the videos, get the right equipment and products, and do it yourself. It's not that difficult and you'll end of with a better finished product because it's yours and you care.
Old 12-13-2014, 01:04 PM
STG
Race Director

There are some true professionals and artists.

Check out the pro write ups on

http://www.detailedimage.com

Home Depot is full of jacks of all trades, and masters of none.

People have different levels of expectations and standards when in comes to car detailing. Look at my pics above, the work should speak for itself.
Old 12-13-2014, 01:07 PM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by TJD911
Damn - you gotta love the passion in this thread. Truthfully, I'd much rather do it myself. I have no doubt that given equal experience and the right gear, a passionate car owner could do an equal or perhaps even better job because he'd be willing to continue until it was perfect. I'd much rather NOT drop to cash to get it professionally done but I'd need a local guru to hand hold me through the first go-round to make sure I learned the tricks of the trade. That's the way I learned to tune race skis and I haven't paid for a professional tune in years. Chuck, if you were in my neighborhood, I'd be standing outside your garage with a case of your favorite brew, asking for a lesson! Options for a first timer = Find a detailing guru to pass on his hard won knowledge - OR - Pay a pro. Hmmm….
Chuck? Detailing guru?

You might need that case of beer. Beer goggles might be helpful
Old 12-13-2014, 01:46 PM
LexVan
Banned

Originally Posted by STG991
Chuck? Detailing guru?
Math is not his strong suit either, since 2 people detailing a car together for 4 hours is a total of 8 man hours. But who's counting.

Old 12-13-2014, 02:52 PM
TJD911
Intermediate

STG - I checked out your video. If I chose to hire someone, I want *that* guy!
Old 12-13-2014, 03:56 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,223 Likes on 740 Posts

Check out Money's posts -- lots of useful information on detailing there

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...3-journal.html

His detailing regiment I think starts at around post 100
Old 12-13-2014, 05:04 PM
bcgreen
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Eventually he gave in when I offered materials (and most of the labor) at my place. Four hours later he was stunned to see his car looking better than he ever thought possible.

No it was not perfect. That would require wet sanding to remove everything down to the bottom of the deepest damage. But in terms of swirls, in terms of anyone not examining the car with a jewelers loupe as if it were a diamond and not a car, it was perfect.

Anyone saying you can't do this in 4 hours, black car or no black car, they simply either do not know what they're talking about, or they just don't have the skills. (Most likely, both.) As far as the OP is concerned, he said there were some swirls that show up at certain angles. Couple hours of the right technique with Griot's Clay, Machine 4 and Best of Show, job done.

I mean, hey, if Hammer can do it.....[/QUOTE]

It takes me just 2 hours alone, to do the taping. When I bought my then new black G35, it took me 20 hours to polish out to perfection. After 8 years I would occasionally hear people say, "Is that the new Infiniti?"
I just finished a 2 year old M3 in Laguna Seca Blue at a MD's house, with bad swirling - 26 hours - one man job.

Last edited by bcgreen; 12-13-2014 at 06:28 PM.

Quick Reply: Swirled Paint