Sponsored by:

Why the lemmons???

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 03:52 PM
MerlinsGarage
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From PA DOT:

IF A VEHICLE HAS BEEN REPURCHASED BY THE MANUFACTURER FOR DEFECTS, IT MAY NOT BE RESOLD,
TRANSFERRED OR LEASED AT RETAIL OR WHOLESALE IN PENNSYLVANIA UNLESS THE MANUFACTURER PROVIDES THE
CONSUMER WITH:

• The same express warranty provided originally, except that it may last only for 12,000 miles or
12 months after the resale date transfer or lease whichever is earlier.

• A written statement that the vehicle was re-purchased by the manufacturer because it did not
conform to the manufacturer's express warranty and the nonconformity was not cured within a
reasonable time as provided by Pennsylvania Law.

April 2014
- over -

• The motor vehicle dealer, lessor or transferor clearly and conspicuously discloses the
manufacturer’s written notification prior to the resale or lease of the repurchased motor vehicle.

• The motor vehicle dealer, lessor or transferor obtains a signed receipt certifying, in a
conspicuous and understandable manner, that the written statement required under this subsection
has been provided. Access to the receipt shall be maintained for four years. The attorney general
shall approve this form and content of the disclosure statement supplied by the manufacturer.

• The manufacturer, dealer, lessor or transferor must apply for and receive a branded title from
the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation. A letter from the manufacturer on their letterhead
must be submitted along with the assigned Pennsylvania Certificate of Title or out-of-state
certificate of title and the title fee of $50.

• PennDOT shall update its records and issue a title with a designation indicating that the motor
vehicle was repurchased under the provisions of the Pennsylvania Lemon Law Act. NOTE: The Lemon
Law Brand will not be removed from the vehicle title record.

• Vehicles with defective braking or steering systems likely to cause death or serious bodily
injury if driven may not be resold in Pennsylvania.

If you have any questions, you can call the Office of Attorney General’s Hotline at 1-800-441-2555,
Monday through Friday from 10:00 am to 3:00 pm.
Old 12-11-2014, 03:55 PM
Hothonda
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie
Lemme tell ya how that worked out, since I'm 'the friend'. Bought that 135i Cab and it was a Lemon Buy Back under BMW's manufacturers warranty and it was $ 9K less than a new car ( $ 43K MSRP, I paid $ 34K for it) with only 4K miles on it. I had an Aston Martin as my 'big' car so I didn't want to go full hit on a new 135i and thought "What could go wrong? Its got 3 years left on the warranty? Worse that can happen is I have to drop it off and get a loaner for some work to be done on it".

The car was great. Never had the first issue with it and it only went in for a routine oil service. My wife hated the Aston Martin, it was too hard to get in and out of and with limited sight lines (very limited) she didn't like to go in it. The 135i was great for what it is - but I wanted to get a new 991S Cab so I put both cars up for sale. The Aston I did OK on, but I got killed on the 135i. No one would touch it because of the title saying it was a manufacturer's buyback. I put it on the forums (including this one), Craigslist, EBAY with no reserve and a very aggressive starting price, Auto Trader, etc. Nothing. Car Max and the Dealers wouldn't touch it. Why? I didn't know it at the time, but no bank or credit union will loan on a lemon title car. That was huge. And no one will write an extended warranty on it, either. That spooked off 90% of buyers for the car as most people can't pay cash on a car. I had an unsalable car and that I couldn't trade in, either. And it still had 2 1/2 years left on the factory warranty. Bollocks.

Finally there was a dealer in Florida that specializes in selling lemon titled cars. After trying to sell mine for 6 weeks in all the ways I knew how, I gulped and took $ 18.5K for it from him with just 9K miles on the clock (I had paid $ 34K for it just 10 months earlier). Huge hit, lesson learned. DO NOT buy an altered titled car unless you plan to keep it until it rots away.....Those GT3's are poison. Stay away unless you enjoy watching your bank account hemorrhage at resale time.
+ the selling dealer will NEVER tell you this↑↑↑ other than how great a deal it is at MSRP.

Remember, Carfaxes on those GT3 vins are on the internet and will never go away.

Quick Reply: Why the lemmons???