Sponsored by:

Show me...your CPO

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2014, 01:36 AM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Received 477 Likes on 254 Posts
Default Show me...your CPO

When you buy a CPO car, what proof do you get? Is it a certificate, a warranty package?

Thanks!
Old 12-06-2014, 02:18 AM
drmatara
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I had my 997 CPO'd and I don't remember getting anything...they just update it in the computer...same when I bought my wife an MB with extended warranty...I got nothing as well
Old 12-06-2014, 02:38 AM
lunarx
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

You should get a copy of the CPO Inspection. I believe that serves as your certificate, although it is in the computer by your vin.
Old 12-06-2014, 08:51 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Double check with your dealer service dept. to see what's in the computer like mentioned.

I bought a previous CPO vehicle in the past and checked after 6 months on it. The dealer "forgot" to put it into the system or actually pay for it.

Get it in writing as well of course. There is CPO paperwork and a checklist the dealer has to complete.

DO NOT take any dealers word for anything.
Old 12-06-2014, 09:59 AM
genxr
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A few years ago when I bought my CPO spyder, i received a CPO folder with the inspection paperwork, certificate and other CPO literature.
Old 12-06-2014, 12:27 PM
StudGarden
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

I don't recall getting the indirection certificate but I did get a CPO booklet and later a letter from some PCNA muckity muck etc.

I would hope that fraudulent/misleading CPO status from any actual Porsche dealer would bring the hammer down on them hard from corporate.

I actually found what was being advertised as a CPO Porsche from an out of state Bmw dealer. When I told my salesman, he said they were lying and PCNA would call them ASAP and force them to stop. Shortly after that car was no longer advertised as CPO so who knows. But misleading from a Porsche dealer? I'd be getting CPO coverage one way or the other from that.
Old 12-06-2014, 12:38 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by STG991
Double check with your dealer service dept. to see what's in the computer like mentioned. I bought a previous CPO vehicle in the past and checked after 6 months on it. The dealer "forgot" to put it into the system or actually pay for it. Get it in writing as well of course. There is CPO paperwork and a checklist the dealer has to complete. DO NOT take any dealers word for anything.
My story was buying from a Porsche dealer by the way.

Don't trust anyone.
Old 12-06-2014, 01:05 PM
genxr
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by STG991
Don't trust anyone.
^^This.

My recent Volvo purchase was a demo that included CPO extended warranty. It was a key component to the buying decision and the price/value. At closing, there was no information on the CPO and got the "it's in the computer; we don't do certificates" line. That simply wasn't good enough. The dealer did right and quickly produced a CPO warranty document showing the car with all the CPO information.
Old 12-06-2014, 02:08 PM
fastmd
Burning Brakes

Received 281 Likes on 102 Posts

porsche gives you a folder with all the paperwork, inspection, and wallet card, including stickers for the the door jamb. That's what I recieved when I bought a 991 C4S and also gave that paperwork back when I traded it.
Old 12-06-2014, 02:18 PM
snowcar_C4S
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I purchased a 2014 CPO and the salesman informed me that CPO documentation would arrive in the mail directly from Porsche NA. I received a folder/packet from Porsche NA about three weeks post purchase with the relevant documentation.
Old 12-06-2014, 02:43 PM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Received 477 Likes on 254 Posts

You guys are awesome!
Old 12-06-2014, 02:43 PM
socalsteve
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Ask for the inspection worksheet (as previously stated). If they cannot give this to you, then run, don't walk away from them.

I have purchased 3 CPO 911's and have been given this paperwork on all 3 occasions.

Good luck!
Old 12-06-2014, 06:06 PM
TJD911
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CPO Fraud

Before I purchased my '12.5 CPO this Fall, I looked very closely at a '13 CPO advertised at a local Porsche dealer. When I crawled around the car, I could immediately see that something was not right. The alignment of the front directional lenses was not perfect and there was protective film on the front tow cap, but nowhere else. I also noted that the rear section was a slightly different shade of agate grey. Very hard to see but once you noticed it, it was unmistakable. Anyway, I asked the dealer repeatedly whether the car had had body work and was told no, over and over again. Finally I spoke with the sales manager who admitted that car had been damaged and they repaired it and repainted the rear section before putting it on the lot. The issue was that I had already been given the CPO paperwork that clearly stated that no evidence of body damage was noted on the vehicle. An absolute falsification. I was later told by another dealer that this particular dealer was known for filling out the CPO paperwork but never actually submitting it to Porsche. Really nice...

Like others have said - you really can't trust anyone. Sad but true.
Old 12-06-2014, 06:13 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 222 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by TJD911
Before I purchased my '12.5 CPO this Fall, I looked very closely at a '13 CPO advertised at a local Porsche dealer. When I crawled around the car, I could immediately see that something was not right. The alignment of the front directional lenses was not perfect and there was protective film on the front tow cap, but nowhere else. I also noted that the rear section was a slightly different shade of agate grey. Very hard to see but once you noticed it, it was unmistakable. Anyway, I asked the dealer repeatedly whether the car had had body work and was told no, over and over again. Finally I spoke with the sales manager who admitted that car had been damaged and they repaired it and repainted the rear section before putting it on the lot. The issue was that I had already been given the CPO paperwork that clearly stated that no evidence of body damage was noted on the vehicle. An absolute falsification. I was later told by another dealer that this particular dealer was known for filling out the CPO paperwork but never actually submitting it to Porsche. Really nice...

Like others have said - you really can't trust anyone. Sad but true.
What you described is not normal sales BS, but fraud. I would expect that if this incident were reported to the police department, hefty fines would be imposed against the dealership and I wouldn't be surprised if they lost their Porsche franchise.
Old 12-07-2014, 12:47 AM
tejstar01
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Ummmm yes please name the dealer for all of us to spread the word to completely avoid!!! That's the beauty of technology these days, crap like this cannot and will not be tolerated anymore! I hope you also called Porsche corporate as well as the local business bureau and informed them of this dealers fraudulent practices on consumers!!! Please don't let the, get away with this when you have proof and caught them red handed!!!

Quick Reply: Show me...your CPO