997xpress
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Make that 'Quick spin'...
Old 12-01-2014, 01:20 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,632 Likes on 2,358 Posts

nothing new here ... we are going to have to wait until the new year for one of the top tier magazines to publish a proper review based upon a multi-day test drive.

My bet is Evo GTPurelyPorsche or Total 911 will come up with the goods, if not "monkey" harris himself.
Old 12-01-2014, 02:56 PM
jokke_vlo
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let's not forget this is a Carrera with options..... so nothing to really talk about....
Old 12-01-2014, 03:04 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jokke_vlo
Let's not forget this is a Carrera with options..... so nothing to really talk about....
That's not 100% correct ... it appears as though the 7MT revised (improved linkage) and the suspension has been tuned...

but this particular review is simply an enumeration of the press release information...
Old 12-01-2014, 03:08 PM
jokke_vlo
Intermediate

True.... seems the MT is really really good.

From my side (how much I like MT) a live around Brussels area with A LOT of traffic jams, so nearly obliged to take PDK as the car will be on a daily use.

But I meaned it don't expect a review which gives a big difference with the other Carrera S models.

I did not wait for a review to order it.
Old 12-01-2014, 04:46 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jokke_vlo
True.... seems the MT is really really good.

From my side (how much I like MT) a live around Brussels area with A LOT of traffic jams, so nearly obliged to take PDK as the car will be on a daily use.

But I meaned it don't expect a review which gives a big difference with the other Carrera S models.

I did not wait for a review to order it.
totally agree!
Old 12-01-2014, 09:57 PM
jmirandes
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default EVO published one already....

Against MB GT-S, and the GTS came through....check it out...
Old 12-01-2014, 10:38 PM
Vise
Drifting

Received 332 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by jmirandes
Against MB GT-S, and the GTS came through....check it out...
Link? Unless you're referring to the Automobile mag review?
Old 12-02-2014, 01:02 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Vise
Link? Unless you're referring to the Automobile mag review?
this is all I could find:

http://www.evo.co.uk/mercedes/amg-gt...911-and-rivals
Old 12-02-2014, 11:01 PM
Riz
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 39 Posts

The gts is pretty much the 50th anniversary car with better color choices the way I see it. If they tweaked the 50th anniversary car, even better. Nice package overall.
Old 12-04-2014, 07:22 PM
Michael Harley
Instructor

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
"... but this particular review is simply an enumeration of the press release information..."
That hurts. Especially considering I didn't even read the press release.

As others have pointed out, this is merely another standard 991 trim (it is not a GT3 or Turbo). That means it isn't worthy of a full review from an outlet that has already covered the current-gen 911 in detail (most other sites will be in agreement).

What do want to know that isn't covered in the story? Ask away, as I spent eight hours behind the wheel.

- Mike
Old 12-04-2014, 08:18 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Michael Harley
That hurts. Especially considering I didn't even read the press release.
sorry ... but that's how it read to me.

Originally Posted by Michael Harley
As others have pointed out, this is merely another standard 991 trim (it is not a GT3 or Turbo). That means it isn't worthy of a full review from an outlet that has already covered the current-gen 911 in detail (most other sites will be in agreement).

What do want to know that isn't covered in the story? Ask away, as I spent eight hours behind the wheel.

- Mike
Well, lets see, other reviewer's mentioned that the 7MT box on the GTS has apparently been revised in some manner improving the shifting over the other models previously equipped... any insights?

Also, the previous 997 GTS had its suspension 'tuned' vs its counterparts (I believe stiffer sway/anti-roll bars and perhaps spring rates), how do any changes relate to SPASM, any details?

Comparing the 2 Coupe GTS to an S, does the wider track of the GTS make a noticeable impact on the handling on-track?

Not specific to the GTS, but how is the character of the X51 vs the std 3.8L

enquiring minds
Old 12-04-2014, 09:00 PM
Michael Harley
Instructor

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
sorry ... but that's how it read to me.

Well, lets see, other reviewer's mentioned that the 7MT box on the GTS has apparently been revised in some manner improving the shifting over the other models previously equipped... any insights?

Also, the previous 997 GTS had its suspension 'tuned' vs its counterparts (I believe stiffer sway/anti-roll bars and perhaps spring rates), how do any changes relate to SPASM, any details?

Comparing the 2 Coupe GTS to an S, does the wider track of the GTS make a noticeable impact on the handling on-track?

Not specific to the GTS, but how is the character of the X51 vs the std 3.8L

enquiring minds
"Power is transferred to the rear axle via the classic 911 seven-speed transmission that is installed in all 911 Carrera GTS cars as standard. Reduced shifting forces and further improved precision of the shift gates, make it even easier for drivers with sporty driving styles to make fast gear shifts. The sequential shift lock prevents faulty shifts. Shifting into seventh gear is only possible if fifth or sixth gear was previously engaged."

That is right from the press release (as are all italics from this point on).

The big news is the shift lock (I never used 7th, for the record). I couldn't tell a bit of difference with regards to reduced shifting forces or improved precision.

With regards to the suspension:

"As sporty top models of the 911 Carrera model series, positioned beneath the 911 Turbo and the 911 GT3, the new GTS sports cars have an exceptionally dynamic chassis. This is based on the wide track of the all-wheel drive 911; the rear track was increased to 1,560 mm on the rear-wheel drive models as well. The benefits: an even lower tendency to roll and even better stability in bends. Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM) is standard equipment. It delivers an optimally tuned characteristic in each individual active damper under all dynamic driving conditions. Compared to 911 models with a conventional passive chassis, the ride height of the GTS is ten millimetres lower. This lowers the centre of gravity, which is another plus in dynamic driving through bends. Thanks to PASM, the driver can choose a much broader spread between greater agility when driving quickly through bends and relaxed comfort on long trips.

In vehicles with a manual seven-speed transmission, Porsche Torque Vectoring (PTV) improves traction and tracking stability and reduces load alteration reactions in conjunction with the mechanical rear differential lock. The even higher-performance PTV Plus is used in vehicles with a dual clutch transmission. It offers an electronically-controlled, fully-variable rear diffe- rential lock. In addition, PTV or PTV Plus improves agility and steering precision by brake interventions at the rear wheel at the inside of the bend."

The wider track likely won't be noticed on public roads, but it does improve stability at the limit (of course, a skilled driver in a standard Carrera will still run circles around a newbie in a GTS). That said, the GT3 (991, 997 and 996) are still much more effective enthusiast track tools than today's GTS, which tends to use a smorgasbord of electronics to keep it on the pavement (the GT3 is twice as engaging, if you want my opinion).

"The engine of the 911 Carrera GTS models is an advanced development of the liter 3.8 liter six-cylinder from the 911 Carrera S. An additional 30 hp was gained by completely reworking the intake manifold. The variable resonance induction system that was specially developed was essential to boosting the engine's power and torque. In this system, the central intake manifold flap is supplemented by six additional resonance flaps, one in each individual cy linder runner. They are simultaneously opened or closed based on engine speed and acce lerator pedal position. The result: oscillating tube charging provides for better fillingof the combustion chambers. This ensures that an optimal amount of fresh air reaches the com bustion chambers in all driving situations, generating high torque at low revs and more power at high revs.
In parallel, airflow within the engine was optimized. The goal: more charging at high revs for more power. To achieve this, the intake ports of the cylinder heads were geometrically optimized, and they were machine-lapped, i.e. smoothed, by a new process, which reduces their resistance to air flow. New intake camshafts with a larger valve stroke and a modified valve-spring kit enable induction of more fresh air into the combustion chambers over a longer period. The results: improved resonance charging which, in conjunction with the re worked engine control system, leads to optimal charging of the combustion chamber. The driver can access the full torque of the 911 Carrera S engine, and thereby its elasticity, as well as more power from the GTS engine at full throttle. This leads to very impressive dri ving characteristics in the 911 Carrera GTS."

Porsche engineers are first to admit that the engine tweaks are most noticed at the higher end of the tachometer. It breathes easier.

- Mike
Old 12-04-2014, 09:06 PM
Michael Harley
Instructor

I've got a 24-page PDF press release from Porsche that I believe I can post here, assuming you really want the technical details. Let me know.

I'm a fellow Porschephile, so I don't mind answering questions.

- Mike

Quick Reply: 991 GTS review - Autoblog