991 GTS review - Autoblog

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2014, 09:10 PM
drmatara
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Harley
[I]

The big news is the shift lock (I never used 7th, for the record). I couldn't tell a bit of difference with regards to reduced shifting forces or improved precision.
The shift lock is not big news at all...I have it on my 991 7MT and I think it's standard for all the MTs
Old 12-04-2014, 09:14 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,632 Likes on 2,358 Posts

I've got a 24-page PDF press release from Porsche that I believe I can post here, assuming you really want the technical details. Let me know.

I'm a fellow Porschephile, so I don't mind answering questions.

- Mike
that would be cool!
Old 12-04-2014, 09:15 PM
Michael Harley
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by drmatara
The shift lock is not big news at all...I have it on my 991 7MT and I think it's standard for all the MTs
In that case, consider the gearbox carried forward with minimal changes.

- Mike
Old 12-04-2014, 09:18 PM
Michael Harley
Instructor

Here you go. One is the press kit, the other contains technical details.

- Mike
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
PM_911_Carrera_GTS_EN6.pdf (193.7 KB, 143 views)
File Type: pdf
TD_911_Carrera_GTS_EN2.pdf (32.3 KB, 207 views)
Old 12-04-2014, 09:21 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

"Power is transferred to the rear axle via the classic 911 seven-speed transmission that is installed in all 911 Carrera GTS cars as standard. Reduced shifting forces and further improved precision of the shift gates, make it even easier for drivers with sporty driving styles to make fast gear shifts. The sequential shift lock prevents faulty shifts. Shifting into seventh gear is only possible if fifth or sixth gear was previously engaged."

That is right from the press release (as are all italics from this point on).

The big news is the shift lock (I never used 7th, for the record). I couldn't tell a bit of difference with regards to reduced shifting forces or improved precision.
I think that's always been there ... so it sounds like no change then!

With regards to the suspension:

"As sporty top models of the 911 Carrera model series, positioned beneath the 911 Turbo and the 911 GT3, the new GTS sports cars have an exceptionally dynamic chassis. This is based on the wide track of the all-wheel drive 911; the rear track was increased to 1,560 mm on the rear-wheel drive models as well. The benefits: an even lower tendency to roll and even better stability in bends. Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM) is standard equipment. It delivers an optimally tuned characteristic in each individual active damper under all dynamic driving conditions. Compared to 911 models with a conventional passive chassis, the ride height of the GTS is ten millimetres lower. This lowers the centre of gravity, which is another plus in dynamic driving through bends. Thanks to PASM, the driver can choose a much broader spread between greater agility when driving quickly through bends and relaxed comfort on long trips.

again sounds like no change, PASM cars were already 10mm lower than non-PASM... ho hum

In vehicles with a manual seven-speed transmission, Porsche Torque Vectoring (PTV) improves traction and tracking stability and reduces load alteration reactions in conjunction with the mechanical rear differential lock. The even higher-performance PTV Plus is used in vehicles with a dual clutch transmission. It offers an electronically-controlled, fully-variable rear diffe- rential lock. In addition, PTV or PTV Plus improves agility and steering precision by brake interventions at the rear wheel at the inside of the bend."
... and will wear your rear brakes pads like a SOB ... c.f: 997.1 GT3s

The wider track likely won't be noticed on public roads, but it does improve stability at the limit (of course, a skilled driver in a standard Carrera will still run circles around a newbie in a GTS). That said, the GT3 (991, 997 and 996) are still much more effective enthusiast track tools than today's GTS, which tends to use a smorgasbord of electronics to keep it on the pavement (the GT3 is twice as engaging, if you want my opinion).
I couldn't agree more...

"The engine of the 911 Carrera GTS models is an advanced development of the liter 3.8 liter six-cylinder from the 911 Carrera S. An additional 30 hp was gained by completely reworking the intake manifold. The variable resonance induction system that was specially developed was essential to boosting the engine's power and torque. In this system, the central intake manifold flap is supplemented by six additional resonance flaps, one in each individual cy linder runner. They are simultaneously opened or closed based on engine speed and acce lerator pedal position. The result: oscillating tube charging provides for better fillingof the combustion chambers. This ensures that an optimal amount of fresh air reaches the com bustion chambers in all driving situations, generating high torque at low revs and more power at high revs.
In parallel, airflow within the engine was optimized. The goal: more charging at high revs for more power. To achieve this, the intake ports of the cylinder heads were geometrically optimized, and they were machine-lapped, i.e. smoothed, by a new process, which reduces their resistance to air flow. New intake camshafts with a larger valve stroke and a modified valve-spring kit enable induction of more fresh air into the combustion chambers over a longer period. The results: improved resonance charging which, in conjunction with the re worked engine control system, leads to optimal charging of the combustion chamber. The driver can access the full torque of the 911 Carrera S engine, and thereby its elasticity, as well as more power from the GTS engine at full throttle. This leads to very impressive dri ving characteristics in the 911 Carrera GTS."

Porsche engineers are first to admit that the engine tweaks are most noticed at the higher end of the tachometer. It breathes easier.

- Mike
Yeah sounds like the same blurb they issued for the X51 ... sigh

So does the CF trim and dev stitching make it go faster

- Larry

p.s
I didn't mean to pick on you, pretty much all the initial reviews were the same content ... dont know if that makes you feel better or worse, it was meant to make you feel better!
Old 12-04-2014, 09:21 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Here you go. One is the press kit, the other contains technical details.

- Mike
Old 12-04-2014, 09:31 PM
Michael Harley
Instructor

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
I didn't mean to pick on you, pretty much all the initial reviews were the same content ... dont know if that makes you feel better or worse, it was meant to make you feel better!
No worries.

I've driven just about every Porsche out there on the track (including the 918 Spyder and GT3 Cup ANDIAL EDITION) and I own a 930 (which I have also tracked). I know driving dynamics, but this particular publication wouldn't allow a full review, which really limited my subjective comments — frustrating.

The GTS is a really nice street car with track aspirations. Think of it as a Carrera S with a few additional tweaks, moved one rung up the performance ladder. The GT3 is still four rungs higher.

- Mike
Old 12-04-2014, 09:55 PM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 144 Posts

Thanks Mike.

I haven't read the full press pdf yet, but reading the words of the posted excerpts very carefully, it's clear there's no difference in the MT or suspension compared to the normal 911 with PASM.
Old 12-04-2014, 09:57 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

No worries.

I've driven just about every Porsche out there on the track (including the 918 Spyder and GT3 Cup ANDIAL EDITION) and I own a 930 (which I have also tracked). I know driving dynamics, but this particular publication wouldn't allow a full review, which really limited my subjective comments — frustrating.

The GTS is a really nice street car with track aspirations. Think of it as a Carrera S with a few additional tweaks, moved one rung up the performance ladder. The GT3 is still four rungs higher.

- Mike
I'd love to see Evo or similar pub to a trackday video comparing the GTS with the GT3 just to see how the two stack up ...
Old 12-04-2014, 10:09 PM
Michael Harley
Instructor

Originally Posted by hinckley
Thanks Mike.

I haven't read the full press pdf yet, but reading the words of the posted excerpts very carefully, it's clear there's no difference in the MT or suspension compared to the normal 911 with PASM.
I would agree.

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
I'd love to see Evo or similar pub to a trackday video comparing the GTS with the GT3 just to see how the two stack up ...
Me too. A nice three-way would be the C2S vs. GTS vs GT3.

- Mike
Old 12-05-2014, 01:38 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

I would agree.

- Mike
+1 ... needs to be done
Old 12-05-2014, 02:04 PM
RudyP
Rennlist Member

Received 1,604 Likes on 573 Posts

- Mike
But the gt3 is now PDK only. For some of us, that is a deal breaker. The GTS is the best manual 911 that porsche currently makes. I'm deciding between a 997.2 GT3 or a 991 GTS. The automatic 991 GT3 does not interest me.
Old 12-05-2014, 02:25 PM
wishman44
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I would agree.

- Mike
+ TT or TTS :-)
Old 12-05-2014, 03:00 PM
Michael Harley
Instructor

Originally Posted by RudyP
But the gt3 is now PDK only. For some of us, that is a deal breaker. The GTS is the best manual 911 that porsche currently makes. I'm deciding between a 997.2 GT3 or a 991 GTS. The automatic 991 GT3 does not interest me.
Have you driven the 991?

[Taking off my professional hat and speaking with frankness...]

I'd choose the 997 in a heartbeat over the 991. The new platform is more accomplished (in terms of performance numbers) but it drives much larger (in terms of driving dynamics) than its predecessor. The 997 is tossable, but the 991 GTS feels more planted and deliberate in its moves. The 997 is more engaging, while the 991 is more comfortable.

I shared the 991 GTS with another Editor-in-Chief of a very popular print magazine. We both remarked how "large" the 991 now feels — almost GT-like.

- Mike
Old 12-05-2014, 03:29 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RudyP
997.2 GT3 ... uber alles ...

Quick Reply: 991 GTS review - Autoblog