Sponsored by:

How to Create a Digital Music Library for PCM

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2016, 07:28 PM
mgflyfish
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Audio Quality Question

So let me first apologize for my audio ignorance, other than the convenience of the artwork and organization, the method you propose would realize no gain in audio quality over just playing my cd's, yes ?
I mean using ACC file conversion over Mp3 is better in terms of results, that I think I understand, but it does not result in any improvement over the digital, CD, source right? Thanks so much for your help in improving my audio knowledge.
Old 02-21-2016, 07:31 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 308 Likes on 175 Posts

Thanks psychic! Used this format, with a little technical savvy from my 15 year old daughter to create a similar music library for my M4
Jim
Old 02-21-2016, 08:06 PM
mmblz
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks. I had not read the manual enough to know this existed. Works well, easy. I haven't quite gotten this far but it looks like the best organization for me as far as folders go is to use them as "playlists". The default play order is alphabetical within folder but apparently you can also browse by artist or album(hitch would be in the metadata)
Old 02-21-2016, 10:17 PM
trucheli
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

For me the only advantage of using Jukebox is to be able to have my favorite music playlist available without having to plug and unplug my iPod 160gig Classic with most of my music in Apple lossless format. I have encounter a fault in the way Porsche does not allow to switch from Bluetooth to USB while the USB is connected . In order to play my internet radio on my iphone via bluetooth I have to disconnect my iPod from USB. This is very inconvenient and I guess this will be solve with Apple Play in the 2017 models.
Old 02-22-2016, 12:47 PM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by mgflyfish
... the method you propose would realize no gain in audio quality over just playing my cd's, yes ?
Since no one else has stepped-up to answer this, I will.

Yes, you are correct. You'll get the best sound quality from the CD. Everything else is just a copy of that CD, so at best, it will be equivalent, but no better and maybe worse.

The jukebox gives you convenience though.

Me personally, I can't discern any quality when the car is moving, so it doesn't really matter.
Old 02-22-2016, 05:15 PM
mgflyfish
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thx MJ-- Agreed. I'd say the only time i've noticed a difference between sources is when using a 5.1 Audio DVD--Next time I'm saving my Burmester money for an ALP Laser/Jammer System
Old 02-22-2016, 08:08 PM
mmblz
Advanced

Originally Posted by mgflyfish
Thx MJ-- Agreed. I'd say the only time i've noticed a difference between sources is when using a 5.1 Audio DVD--Next time I'm saving my Burmester money for an ALP Laser/Jammer System
You sure this isn't because the Burmester makes everything sound good? I haven't done any really focused listening, but I've been quite impressed with the Burmester so far...
Old 02-27-2016, 07:49 PM
RFMASSA
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default PCM Version 3.43 Not displaying album artwork

I have a 2013 991 C4 with Burmester audio and have never seen album artwork displayed when using a USB drive (nor on a CD either). I have copied my iTunes library from my computer which does display artwork properly on my PC.

It does not have a jukebox in the PCM (version 3.43). Could be too early of a 2013?

Also, some have mentioned that their audio does not play in their iTunes playlist order, but rather in a random order. I have found this freeware utility which takes care of this issue and creates a Playlist folder in addition to the raw music folders. All songs play in the order of your iTunes original Playlist.

iTunes Export Version: 2.2.2 (06/01/2010)

Written by: Eric Daugherty
Old 02-28-2016, 10:40 AM
ns4w
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 28 Posts
Default alphabetical

I've noticed it's not random order, but alphabetical by song title. I'll check out that app.
Old 02-28-2016, 11:04 PM
Bishop200
Instructor

I have twice tried to load a USB stick with 49 gb of music on it and in both cases it failed to allow me to play music from the USB stick. I can play music with my iPod, and when I created a stick with only one tune on it, that worked, so my conclusion is that you can't load large file numbers on a USB stick. Has anyone discovered the same issue?
Old 02-29-2016, 02:38 AM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Received 477 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Bishop200
I have twice tried to load a USB stick with 49 gb of music on it and in both cases it failed to allow me to play music from the USB stick. I can play music with my iPod, and when I created a stick with only one tune on it, that worked, so my conclusion is that you can't load large file numbers on a USB stick. Has anyone discovered the same issue?
Yes, tried several times with my large library and it failed. When I have some spare time, I'll take it in smaller chunks....that seems to work better.
Old 02-29-2016, 12:14 PM
Bishop200
Instructor

Ah, thank you for confirming my suspicions. Yes, smaller amounts must be the way to go. Cheers.
Old 02-29-2016, 08:55 PM
Jabs1542
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 88 Posts

Sorry but I have a 256 GB stick working perfectly fine. It takes a good 60 seconds to index all the files when I start the car, and I manage the music through a file folder system (genre > artist > album > track(s)).

I had tried a 1 TB USB powered spinner, that did not work.

Note: All my files are 16:44k WAV files, remember your files have to be compatible as well.
Old 04-15-2016, 07:57 AM
2013CarreraS
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for this. I just purchased my first 911 and this is exactly the info I was looking for!
Old 04-30-2016, 09:09 PM
Davidimas
1st Gear

Default Cover art question

Hi there everyone,

I am about to order my first Porsche, a Macan . I am a lover of quality music at home and in my car and I have a very large collection of FLAC music in my library. I also have a converted version of my music to play in my current car. When test driving the Macan, I took a sample of music on USB to test the cars sound system. The music played fine, but it was a hit and miss process with the cars ability to display cover art. This surprised my as the music was all created in the same was using a tool called dbpoweramp which embeds the cover art in the music files and all music was in the same file format. When I asked the salesman why some would display cover art and others not, he told me that there is a limit on the cover art file size / resolution that the pcm system can display. Can anyone advise me on what the file size limitations are please...

Thank you david imas

Quick Reply: How to Create a Digital Music Library for PCM