Sponsored by:

Winter Tire Change

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 11:40 PM
TJD911
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter Tire Change

First time poster to this forum. After a lifetime in awe of the 911 and months of hard shopping, I finally found and purchased a new-to-me 2012.5 C2S cab last week. It's black with red leather interior, pdk, s/chrono, keyless e/d, light design, pdls and a host of other cool options. It's like new with 9k miles and is a work of engineering art. The only shame is that winter is coming soon to New England where I live. I have the option to purchase a set of mounted winter tires from the previous owner of this car (brand new, barely used) for ~ $2500. Seems like something of a no brainer, even though I will not drive this car in poor weather. Just being able to drive the car confidently in dry but cold weather, without the annoying wheel skip in low speed turns seems worth it. The only nagging question is the nuisance factor of putting them on and off each year. Do most owners of C2's in cold weather regions own winter tires, even if they are not dd's and will never see a snowflake? Is there any magic to tire change on this car or is it as simple as every other car on which I have changed a tire? Do most guys just do the swap themselves?

Thanks for input,
Tim
Old 11-14-2014, 12:12 AM
t0mas
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Tim - I'm from Canada, and here in the province of Quebec, the government has mandated that all cars must have winter tires during the months of December - March. I've always driven my P-cars all year around, and have always had a dedicated set of mounted winter tires. For me, the seasonal switch has always been easy since my local Porsche dealer offers wheel/tire storage service for each season - so when it's time to change, it's completely painless. Since you're in the snow belt, I would suggest you check with your dealer to see if they offer that service - just makes life easier.
Old 11-14-2014, 03:33 AM
StudGarden
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

Midwest here. Got a set of OEM 19's with the Pirelli winter tires. Dealer stores them for free and it's $49 twice a year for the swap out. It could be a little more for just the tires, as a pre mounted wheel set is easier.

Drove it through flurries for a couple hours today and she loved it. Thick, cold air; you can really tell the difference. Roads were clean, dry and unsalted, but it was cold. Probably wouldn't have taken it out today if it had summer tires on.

Unless you're going to put it into cryogenic storage I recommend it, even if it's not going to be a true winter DD.
Old 11-14-2014, 01:36 PM
ankuse
Track Day

Live in NJ and I bought a set of winter wheels and tires (I also just got a CPO 991 C2S about a month ago). Temps have started to drop and the summer tires are very slick at cold temps.
Old 11-14-2014, 02:03 PM
TJD911
Intermediate

Default winter tires

Seems unanimous. Looks like I'll be picking up those ties this weekend.

Thanks for the input -
Old 11-14-2014, 02:39 PM
PDX991
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts

That's also a pretty damn good deal. Sun coast price is $4200. Tires alone are $1500 from tire rack. I would buy them out from under you but I'm on the west coast.
Old 11-15-2014, 02:26 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by TJD911
Just being able to drive the car confidently in dry but cold weather, without the annoying wheel skip in low speed turns seems worth it.
The annoying wheel skip in low speed turns is caused by a suspension setting called caster angle. At full lock the angle the wheel tracks relative to its axis of rotation causes the tire to skitter a bit. It does this all the time but becomes more noticeable under certain conditions like cold weather that makes the tires harder. When you hear a car sqealing around a parking garage going barely 3 mph more than likely its caster angle. With winter tires it will feel different. You might actually notice it more because there are so many more small tread blocks to squirm around compared to the summer tires. Winters won't skip like summers, but they sure will squirm around a lot.
Old 11-15-2014, 12:59 PM
Grunty
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

I would gladly buy that set for 2500. Jump on it.
Old 11-15-2014, 01:16 PM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 4,196 Likes on 1,480 Posts

My winter tire storage solution. Stack 'em in the garage, put a tire cover over them to prevent the UV rays from dry rotting the tires, swap 'em out in the garage the night before the snow forecast. Takes 30 minutes on my wife's Audi SQ5. Not particularly hard to do. Those are 20"er's under the sleeve.

My Porsche doesn't play outside in the winter, I have a 4WD Tundra Pickup for that kind of travel.
Old 11-15-2014, 10:23 PM
TJD911
Intermediate

Default tires

I picked 'em up today. 24 degrees F. at my house tonite...I may swap them out in the morning.

TD
Old 11-16-2014, 04:39 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by TJD911
. Do most owners of C2's in cold weather regions own winter tires, even if they are not dd's and will never see a snowflake? Thanks for input,
Tim
Sounds like you got a good deal there, but for your exact question, cold weather no snow, there really are no good reasons for changing tires at all. No, summer tires won't grip as well cold as hot. But they will vastly outperform winter tires on dry pavement no matter how cold it gets. In the wet too for the most part. Winter tires are for slush, snow and ice. Period. that's why drcollie has the right approach, store em until you really need em.
Old 11-17-2014, 09:19 AM
Duke I
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I read somewhere that porsche/perrelli do not recommed use of the tires for temps of 46 degrees and under. Is this because of the prospect/danger of precipitation? Or, are the summer tires dangerous at that temp and below because they get so hard?

I had summer tires during the winter on a BMW 550 (RWD) a few years back and they became like ski bottoms in the snow. Could not even get my car home several days because of a hill I had to negotiate.
Old 11-17-2014, 10:20 AM
Grunty
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
Sounds like you got a good deal there, but for your exact question, cold weather no snow, there really are no good reasons for changing tires at all. No, summer tires won't grip as well cold as hot. But they will vastly outperform winter tires on dry pavement no matter how cold it gets. In the wet too for the most part. Winter tires are for slush, snow and ice. Period. that's why drcollie has the right approach, store em until you really need em.
You keep saying this but it contradicts what pretty much every article I have read. How certain are you? You are stating that summer tires in cold dry conditions outperform winter tires. That is a big statement that implies that colder temperature compounds are useless if there is no precipitation.

Would you tell your teenage son or wife to go drive the porsche in freezing dry temps on rock hard tires?
Old 11-17-2014, 10:29 AM
Dude174
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Well it's cold as f&@k this am north of dfw. Drove in to work after snow dusting last night and it was 20. Prob way below what Pirelli recommends - my drive was an hour (65 miles), no problems at all. For comparison, my former e92 m3 would be squirrelly as all get out below 30. Maybe there's something to that rear engine being over the axle giving better traction in somewhat inclement weather.

Not that I would drive on summers if I lived in Canada. But for north Texas and our relative moderate winters yup
Old 11-17-2014, 11:07 AM
enzom
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Grunty
You keep saying this but it contradicts what pretty much every article I have read. How certain are you? You are stating that summer tires in cold dry conditions outperform winter tires. That is a big statement that implies that colder temperature compounds are useless if there is no precipitation. Would you tell your teenage son or wife to go drive the porsche in freezing dry temps on rock hard tires?
Agree. Winter tires are on all of my family vehicles when the temps drop. Having driven my C2S and current Turbo on Pirellis and winter rubber in 40 degree weather, no comparison. Winter rubber holds. The summer tires spin. My rear got loose on both cars just flooring it to get around other slow vehicles on Pirellis.

Quick Reply: Winter Tire Change