Sponsored by:

Looking for opinions on C2S factory interior error

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2014, 04:36 PM
BrandoU2
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for opinions on C2S factory interior error

I took delivery delivery of my C2S a couple of months ago. The build included Espresso/Cognac with carpet deviated to Espresso. I LOVE IT!!!!!

THE ISSUE: The day after I brought the car home, I notice that the stitching on the dash, that should be in Cognac was in Espresso. Everything else about the car is perfect.

I called the dealer who immediately called PCNA to arrange a replacement dashboard. It should arrive soon.

My concern at this point is that since the dash is the VERY FIRST component fit to the chassis, is it worth the risk of having the factory installed dash "ripped out" in order to make the interior correct? The dash unit from the leather to the windshield is all one huge piece. This is major surgery with all of the associated risks of future rattles, etc.

I would really appreciate opinions on this decision. I've pondered for over a month and am still on the fence. Thanks!

P.S. I don't hate the car because the dash is wrong. The correct stitching is important to the overall effect however and, of course, the car should have been correct from the start. Stuff happens, even to the best.
Old 11-09-2014, 04:45 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,391 Likes on 2,510 Posts

There's a 991 GT3 owner who needed his dash pulled to replace a blemish in the leather. Try to find that old post ( within the past 2.5 months) and ask him how the swap went. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Rennlist
Old 11-09-2014, 05:43 PM
StudGarden
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

If it didn't really stand out, I'd just live with it. Obviously with money back for the part they messed up and a little good will (free 2 year service etc).
Old 11-09-2014, 08:21 PM
Porscheforever
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it is a major eye sore to you, I suggest going through the procedure.

If you can ignore it (the stitching is still based on your interior color - not red or yellow) and it doesn't give you stress every time you get into the car, then don't.

For me, a little cosmetic difference or "imperfection" (like stitching color) is very welcome because they're unique. Think about it: no other 991 out there have the same stitching as yours!

PF
Old 11-10-2014, 07:24 AM
sfo
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would not want the dash taking out .. they could so easily mess up the reinstallation procedure.

plus once out, it'll never be the same again

just get them to pay you the cost of the replacement dash .. they can keep the labour charge.
Old 11-10-2014, 07:35 AM
Mondrian
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If staying with current dash there might be a discrepancy between original build sheet/invoice and actual car - will it be a problem at resale? Could you get the build sheet/invoice corrected to the actual spec?
Old 11-10-2014, 02:35 PM
BrandoU2
Intermediate

Smile Thanks for all the good advice/opinion

I am very grateful to read all of these replies. All are very helpful to me! I'm leaning towards compensation in lieu of replacement. Trying to get a revised build sheet is one thing that never crossed my mind. Brilliant idea!

I have a message in to the GT3 guy in Nor Cal.

I'll keep you posted.
Old 11-10-2014, 02:38 PM
LexVan
Banned

If they can't do a corrected build sheet or window sticker, maybe they can at least send an accurate/revised Cert Of Authenticity.

Old 11-10-2014, 03:19 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,460 Likes on 2,262 Posts

Originally Posted by BrandoU2
I am very grateful to read all of these replies. All are very helpful to me! I'm leaning towards compensation in lieu of replacement. Trying to get a revised build sheet is one thing that never crossed my mind. Brilliant idea!

I have a message in to the GT3 guy in Nor Cal.

I'll keep you posted.
or request the certificate of authenticity from PCNA ... it can list the 'error'...
Old 11-10-2014, 03:37 PM
LexVan
Banned

Originally Posted by LexVan
If they can't do a corrected build sheet or window sticker, maybe they can at least send an accurate/revised Cert Of Authenticity.

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
or request the certificate of authenticity from PCNA ... it can list the 'error'...
There must be an echo in here!

Great minds think alike, Larry.
Old 11-10-2014, 04:13 PM
Axxlrod
Instructor

I swapped my original dash with one that was wrapped in alcantara, to match the rest of the alcantara items I had added.

Once done, it was no different than the original one. Not a single sqeak or noise or misalignment.
Old 11-10-2014, 06:45 PM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 348 Likes on 176 Posts

The dashboard consists of several pieces all of which can be easily replaced. These cars are not built the old way where you could never replicate the original tolerances once pieces were pulled apart. Will there be rattles? Maybe, maybe not, but the new car may have a dash rattle or two as well. I'd replace it because what you have is not OEM and that is more an issue than a potential rattle whether you keep the car or sell it.
Old 11-10-2014, 06:48 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,460 Likes on 2,262 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
There must be an echo in here!

Great minds think alike, Larry.
of course that's assuming that their records reflect the car "as delivered" vs "as ordered"...
Old 11-10-2014, 10:59 PM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

I ordered my 997 Cab with the Sport Chrono but it's missing when the car arrived and it was indeed listed on the Window sticker too. Dealer gave me the option to take the car and they would install the Nav for free or reorder the car for me. Since it was in September and didn't want to wait another 3-4 months, so I took the car and enjoyed about two months of nice weather in N Cal. Here is the thing, when I later ordered the "Birth Certificate", the Sport Chrono option was not listed. So I guess the dealer told the factory what happened and the factory updated their system.
Old 11-11-2014, 12:19 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by djcxxx
These cars are not built the old way where you could never replicate the original tolerances once pieces were pulled apart... I'd replace it
I agree. Replace it. The stitching should match. My dos centavos, for what it's worth.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Quick Reply: Looking for opinions on C2S factory interior error