Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinion on Targa exterior colors - moment of crisis!

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 04:54 PM
Sharm
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Opinion on Targa exterior colors - moment of crisis!

So my targa 4s order will finally lock in 1 week after placing the initial order 2 months ago(!) (after numerous delays and a ton of patience). This entire time, I have stayed with metallic dark blue as the exterior color. Now however I am having what one can call a crisis moment. I have seen several MDB on the internet but have only seen one in real life and I am not entirely sure I like the color anymore. I think the Targas go best with darker colors to contrast with the silver aluminum rollbar, but cannot decide between MDB, sapphire blue (which to me looks beautiful in less light, ie a cloudy day it takes on a breathtaking mid dark blue hue) but in bright light can come across as garish to me, black metallic, or even white metallic which can look stunning. I would welcome anyone's opinion in this moment of crisis!
Old 11-06-2014, 04:59 PM
docmalone
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Color is tough as it is so personal. I saw a dark blue targa in person on the showroom floor that was a spec to order and it was VERY nice. You have to go with your gut.
I love looking at black but will NOT own a black car again. I love white on the 991.
If you stick with the dark blue you have the unique factor and wont see yourself coming and going like you will with white or black, though.
The bottom line, as frustrating as it is to choose, the car will be so awesome you will think you chose right no matter what color you pick.
Old 11-06-2014, 05:18 PM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 3,877 Likes on 1,358 Posts

I'd say stick with the dark colors, the black is most dramatic to offset the aluminum bar and wheels, but nothing wrong with the dark blue, either. White (to me) is the least appealing on a Targa (but yummy on a GT3). Saw a white one on the highway the other day...it was blah...
Old 11-06-2014, 05:39 PM
Grunty
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

I have the mdb on my boxster and it is indeed a very dark blue. The sapphire is a lot "louder". If it's an elegant dark (but not black) color you want, the MDB will suit just fine.
Old 11-06-2014, 05:57 PM
Hojo8
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by docmalone
Color is tough as it is so personal. ..... You have to go with your gut.
+1 After several silver and white cars, I was ready for a bright color and chose Sapphire for my Targa. I am sure you will love whichever you choose.
Old 11-06-2014, 06:27 PM
Jerry991
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

I don't have an answer but I would say that interior color is very important with the large aluminum roll bar as you look into the car. It adds to the visual which doesn't happen with a solid color. It can all become very busy.
Old 11-06-2014, 06:46 PM
porsche9xx
Advanced

I also agree that darker colors offer a nicer contrast with the stainless roll bar. Saphire and brown look great with that car but I don't know if I personally would want to own one say 5-6 years from now. My order is a DBM Cab S with a blue top so I personally think its one of the best colors looks like 3 different colors depending on the lighting. Someone posted this video the other day with a Targa in DBM. Its shot in mostly overcast so its mostly showing the darker shade - in full son its a much brighter blue.

Old 11-06-2014, 06:51 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

My friend in the PCA has a Dark Blue Metallic Targa with the black & platinum grey leather. Car looks awesome.
Old 11-06-2014, 06:56 PM
mrsmitty
Instructor

I vote for sapphire blue, but I am biased cause that's my favorite of the non paint to sample colors.
Old 11-06-2014, 07:00 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

yes interior is very important for this car.
for example, black/tan interior would go well with black exterior.
espresso/cognac would go well with brown exterior.
it's all personal though....
Old 11-06-2014, 07:00 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Not the best pictures, but I was focusing on the interior. Hope this helps you.
Attached Images   
Old 11-06-2014, 07:08 PM
midcont
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 29 Posts

Fairfield porsche in ct has a targa in dbm that I saw last week. Also had the black techno wheels. I don't generally like the targa but this was an amazing combo. It stood out to me among all the other cars in the showroom. As others have said, the contrast with the aluminum bar is what sets it off.
Old 11-06-2014, 08:23 PM
Hojo8
Advanced

Originally Posted by porsche9xx
Sapphire and brown look great with that car but I don't know if I personally would want to own one say 5-6 years from now.
That is a great point to keep in mind. I doubt I would have chosen Sapphire if I expected to have the car more than three years. It's all good.....
Old 11-06-2014, 08:27 PM
Scottish Pete
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

The Fresno dealer had a silver targa . . . it was sort of blah. The polished Targa bar really needs a darker color to really stand out. The bright blue metallic on the original press release Targa was gorgeous when I saw it in person at the Monterey Porsche Parade.
Old 11-06-2014, 09:00 PM
Sharm
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 42 Posts

Thanks guys for your responses. I agree it is a very personal decision ultimately because choices will vary as much as choosing a flavor of ice cream, but these responses def help!

The interior I was thinking of to go with DBM or black exterior would be two-tone black/Luxor beige. I love this combination and also think it would go well with sapphire. If I went with a lighter hue (such as white or silver which is unlikely) it would be all-black full leather with possibly some deviated stitching in plat grey on the dash.

Porschexx, I saw the getawayer review! That's what made me decide DMB in the first place, it looks amazing in that video.
LexVan thanks for the pics, the DBM of what I can see there looks pretty nice.
Hojo8, you are a rare breed with the sapphire which is cool. What are your thoughts so far?
ScottishPete, was that the dark or sapphire you saw at the press release? I'm guessing it was the latter.

Quick Reply: Opinion on Targa exterior colors - moment of crisis!