Sponsored by:

Should I Buy or Lease a 911?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 03:37 AM
porsche9xx
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jem7v
I was told if you lease then buy out at the end it is almost equivalent to like paying 5-7% interest. So if your going to buy then buy up front, not lease then buy. Because again for every dollar you are over the cut off with porsche those dollars are spread over the lease term rather than a 60 month term.
There may be a premium with Porsche since they are the only "bank" that offers a lease program and they set the interest rate whereas on a purchase you are able to shop around and get a better rate. What you do get with a lease is an "insurance policy" if the car loses value much more than anticipated (ie market crash, 500hp base 992 ) or you have an accident the leasing bank takes the hit. But if the car holds its value or exceeds the residual you can buy it or even flip it. On both a Honda Civic and a WRX I was able to buy out the cars and sell it for a profit.
Old 11-06-2014, 09:35 AM
jem7v
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by porsche9xx
There may be a premium with Porsche since they are the only "bank" that offers a lease program and they set the interest rate whereas on a purchase you are able to shop around and get a better rate. What you do get with a lease is an "insurance policy" if the car loses value much more than anticipated (ie market crash, 500hp base 992 ) or you have an accident the leasing bank takes the hit. But if the car holds its value or exceeds the residual you can buy it or even flip it. On both a Honda Civic and a WRX I was able to buy out the cars and sell it for a profit.
Well those are both extreme ends of the spectrum. What is more likely to happen is you lease it, then buy it, then lose money .

I like the idea of lease because I don't have to worry about resale and I get bored quickly. But I'm not in a financial position yet to throw away 50k because of resale and I am bored. So I'll just get my GTS then later a GT3 . Actually probably can't lease the GT3 either because there will be no difference in price.

I know....lease a cayenne turbo . Perfect! Great deals on those.
Old 11-06-2014, 10:00 AM
Team Plutonium
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I was told if you lease then buy out at the end it is almost equivalent to like paying 5-7% interest. So if your going to buy then buy up front, not lease then buy. Because again for every dollar you are over the cut off with porsche those dollars are spread over the lease term rather than a 60 month term.
True, it depends on your situation though... I lease via our cooperation (tax benefits) have the company take the depreciation hit and write-off, and I buy out the car as a private person at the end for almost nothing. This works well (and in my favor) if the residuals are crappy. It is terrible if you do this as a private entity alone though.

Originally Posted by fast1
You can also depreciate purchases. Leases don't work for me since I only put around 3K miles on my Porsches each year, and I believe that 10K miles a year is the lowest mileage lease I've seen offered. Don't want to pay for 10K miles when I only use it 3K miles a year.
I think the lowest you can select is 5K a year.
Old 11-06-2014, 12:50 PM
jem7v
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Team Plutonium
True, it depends on your situation though... I lease via our cooperation (tax benefits) have the company take the depreciation hit and write-off, and I buy out the car as a private person at the end for almost nothing. This works well (and in my favor) if the residuals are crappy. It is terrible if you do this as a private entity alone though.

I think the lowest you can select is 5K a year.
Well if anyone owns a company, I most certainly would recommend leasing since yes it is all written off as a business expense.
Old 11-06-2014, 04:35 PM
Axxlrod
Instructor

I believe PFS offers 5K, 7.5K, 10K, 12K and 15K mile leases.
Old 11-06-2014, 05:40 PM
LandShark
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

OK, I admit I've never leased a car, always buy, and never really look into it even tho I change car every 2-3 yrs.

I've been thinking about the GTS since it released. But I'm not ready to buy since it'll mean a good sum of deposit from me to keep the monthly payment reasonable. And it'll be my daily drive and I do put a lot of mileage on cars, about 20+k/yr.

With the higher daily drive mileage in mind, is it still make sense to lease vs buy?

And how do one calculate the monthly payment on a lease? Do I have to go to the dealer, build a car, to get the number?

My main concern is monthly payment and how much will cost me when the lease is up (mainly the mileage dollar).

Thanks.
Old 11-06-2014, 07:20 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,361 Posts

Originally Posted by LandShark
OK, I admit I've never leased a car, always buy, and never really look into it even tho I change car every 2-3 yrs.

I've been thinking about the GTS since it released. But I'm not ready to buy since it'll mean a good sum of deposit from me to keep the monthly payment reasonable. And it'll be my daily drive and I do put a lot of mileage on cars, about 20+k/yr.

With the higher daily drive mileage in mind, is it still make sense to lease vs buy?

And how do one calculate the monthly payment on a lease? Do I have to go to the dealer, build a car, to get the number?

My main concern is monthly payment and how much will cost me when the lease is up (mainly the mileage dollar).

Thanks.
I believe that high mileage leases will negatively penalize you vs purchase since the residual on a high mileage lease will be significantly lower and that will be factored into the lease terms increasing the payments.
Old 11-06-2014, 07:45 PM
RedShiftC4S
5th Gear

One benefit of leasing no one has mentioned yet is that if the car has "diminished value" from an accident, that loss in value belongs to the lessor. If you own or finance the car, you "own" the loss due to diminished value. And if you live in a place like SoCal, you know it's basically one big bumper car attraction here.
Old 11-06-2014, 07:48 PM
Axxlrod
Instructor

Thanks.
I drive almost as many miles are you annually, but I also lease a BMW (they're cheap since BMW Financial subsidizes) to spread the miles out. I take the BMW on rainy days, boring road trips, and/or anywhere I don't want to take (or park) the 911.
Old 11-06-2014, 09:28 PM
porsche9xx
Advanced

I haven't run the numbers on the Porsche over mileage but usually people who drive more than 15K per year are not good candidates for leases cars. For a short term purchase the big hit that you take is the sales tax which in many parts of So. California is 9% or more. So thats about 13-14k sales tax on a $140K car. If you sell or trade that car in two years would have paid $540 per month in sales tax. If you lease (at least in CA) you only pay taxes on your monthly payments so on a short terms lease you may end up paying a sales tax bill which is 70% lower.
Old 11-06-2014, 09:40 PM
LandShark
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks for all the replies guys. I really appreciated. And I guess leasing isn't really work for me (as I would expected).
Old 11-07-2014, 11:33 AM
sapman
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

I know....lease a cayenne turbo . Perfect! Great deals on those.
What kind of deals are you seeing?
Old 11-07-2014, 05:51 PM
Dalema
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks.
Suggest you check out this recent thread that discusses what you are interested in.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/8354...tion-help.html

Take a look at what I posted in #53 - it will help you.

On mileage - go with the lowest you can get. Works out better overall, and you don't ever pay for unused miles.

Quick Reply: Should I Buy or Lease a 911?